Sign in with
Your question

Losing my mind! - Asus A8N SLI premium wont post

Last response: in Motherboards
April 6, 2008 10:59:07 PM

ok guys, Im pulling my hair out here!!
Ive found a thread on this forum that relates to the same issue with the motherboard but it is not caused by the same thing and the fixes do not work...

ok, its my girlfriends pc.
She was using it one night and reported a puff of smoke out of the PSU :o  and then it shutdown. it was on a surge protected strip.

Now Ive built all my own pcs and am not exactly a newbie to modding but this has got me really stumped :bounce: 

System - Asus A8N SLI premium

Geforce 7900 Gt gfx card
2 x 512 DDR 400 memory
AMD processor (unsure which as not had it out and she ahs no idea!)
250gb sata 1 HD

The system had run fine for 18 months

ok, so I replaced the PSU with a brand new Trust 600 watt one.
No change.

The hard drive was also fried....(I tested it in my system and an external case), so I replaced it with a brand new Western Digital 250gb one.

no change.

The pc WILL NOT post.

I have been through the 'barebones tests' on this site and have had zero results. Still no post. I have also reset CMOS and replaced the battery

Im running out of things to test!! and sadly my own system is not as new as this one (AGP, P4 3.2 ghz, 2 gig ram) so I cant swap the GFX card which is my main suspect...

Please HELP!

The motherboard power light is on, the Asus vocal post message does NOT happen with headphones in the green port!

I have swapped the memory in and out and to all slots. I have also swapped known good memory from my system in and there is no change.

I have even tried a new monitor!!

All I get is a single quiet 'beep' when it should be posting visually, and there is zero on the web about a single beep for asus boards??

The GFX card fan also works as do all other fans.

What do I do next? There are no shops I trust near me so its down to me...but I need some input please.

What is the likely suspect? Can a PSU (??) fault kill all components?)

Anyone who can help me fix this problem gets a night FREE with Pamela Anderson :whistle:  (I will try and arrange it anyway!!)

THANKS

April 6, 2008 11:51:33 PM

Have you reset the cmos? After you changed PSU's did you plug in the power connections all the way. Double check and wiggle them.

Did you remember to plug the 4/pin cpu aux power in when you changed PSU.

If none of the above works its quite possible it fried other compnents besides the HDD.

I only use Asus and single beeps mean the poost passed. So probably your video card is bad. Try reseating it. Your vid card might of blown causing the PSU to blow.
April 6, 2008 11:59:57 PM

I would also use another videocard and see if you get a signal. If not. Look at your capacitors on the board. If they are swollen or charred in anyway, then you have bigger problems.
Related resources
April 7, 2008 12:32:09 AM

visualy inspect the capacitors on the motherboard (pay attention to the area between the i/o shield and the processor heatsink its the voltage regulator i think).

but if it isnt posting visualy, try another video card; the fan would still work on the video card even if the card was toast.
April 7, 2008 7:55:46 PM

thanks a lot guys :) 
Some great info there...and great pictures of the capacitors.

Im going to take a look now and will post back.

I really want to test another gfx card but do i risk buying one (she only wants a good one!) and then find out the current (good one) is ok?

April 7, 2008 9:45:10 PM

ok guys.
The capicitors all seem to be fine after a close inspection.

But is this component on the PCI X GFX card fried or does it alwasy lo9ok like this?? or

April 7, 2008 11:15:08 PM

Well, after looking over the manual for the A8N SLI Premium, I have questions and possible answers for you. First of all, you said the Vocal Post Reporter is not working... Was it working before that you know of ??? If it worked previously, even if you disabled it in the BIOS setup, clearing the BIOS would set it to the default of Enabled. So you should hear it say something, as the Vocal Reporter is supposed to be able to tell you even if a CPU is not installed. Or even if the CPU failed or VGA test failure. So, if the Vocal Reported used to work but does not work anymore, I think you might have a fried MB as well.

As for your picture, those are just solder pads for a component that not installed, thats normal. Looks like there are more just below the little black component in your picture.
April 7, 2008 11:40:31 PM

I've got another idea for you, that Asus board supports their CrashFree BIOS feature. If the BIOS itself gets corrupted, your supposed to be able to restore the BIOS from the support CD. Not sure how exactly that works, as the video still needs to come up.
April 7, 2008 11:54:09 PM

Another idea, do you have an old PCI video card laying around??? Try that in place of your current video card.
April 7, 2008 11:55:34 PM

thanks TheDraac :) 

I am unsure if the vocal reporter worked previously to be honest! but I will reset the Bios again and see if it will speak to me (I really pray it does!! no matter what it says...)

It seems that if the vocal reporter still doesnt work, even when I reset the Cmos again, then the MB may be dead? even tho the power light is on and the capacitors look ok...

Thanks for the input on the picture.....but are we both looking at the same part?!
For some reason this forum added a scroll bar to the bottom of the picture...if you scroll right I have higlighted the component I was talking about in a red square :) 

please confirm your thoughts on this..

Re the crashfreebios....it is a good idea TBO but alas, I have no gfx so cannot see the screen to input any commands or do the reset.

I am bidding on a couple of cheap PCI X cards on ebay at the minute...with the idea being if I win one (hopefully), then I can test conclusively if the gfx card is the problem.
If the system is still dead, it seems it may be new Mo Bo time? (and lord knows what else)
April 8, 2008 12:47:49 AM

I got a PCI card I'll give you for .99 plus shipping. Just promise to leave me good feedback. I'd give it free but I got to charge .99 minimum on ebay. I'll make a buy it now if your interested, cancel your other bids.
April 8, 2008 2:51:34 AM

anderow, about your picture, I was looking at the little red box. As I said, it looks like you might have a similar solder pad below and to the right of your red box, just below the little square component that looks like it was dipped in chocolate, yanno.. it has smooth sides like a piece of candy. I looks like a similar pad right there but with the top of a transistor (little black item) soldered to it.

Does this picture look like your card???

I think it should be close....

Now I think that spot is for an extra capacitor, as the ones installed look like they have square bottoms. Who knows, just an extra solder pad.
April 8, 2008 8:51:35 PM

After rereading this thread, I think it's very likely that the blown PSU not only took the hard drive with it, but also the MB. Hopefully it didn't take the CPU or memory as well. Hard to tell without a second MB to test with.

Even though you don't trust the shops near you, is there one that will test the CPU for you... while you watch, to make sure it's still ok???
April 8, 2008 9:52:10 PM

Thanks the draac

Doesnt sound good news L :( 

Im really hoping the MB is not fried! With the power light coming on, and no visible damage to the capacitors, Im holding out a small amount of hope for it lol!!

I will have a look at a few local shops...hopefully one of them will test the CPU for me however I'm not sure if they will do it 'for free'!!

I have a PCI X card coming in the next day or so and after I have tested the system with that....we will know for sure if it is the MB that is fried :( 

But as roadrunner says earlier in the thread....the single beep that the system is making when it is powered up indicates a successfull post? so I have a good feeling that it may just be the GFx card...

What makes you think the MB is fried?

Thanks

If the system still doesnt post I will certainly take the system into a shop if I can find one and get them to test it.

roadrunner- thanks for the offer mate :) 
I have now bought a cheap one off ebay for test purposes though :(  Had I seen your post first I would have bought it off you though.....
April 8, 2008 11:39:08 PM

Does it still make the single beep on power up??? I thought it only beeped the one time after power up. I do know another asus board that has the single beep as a "positive" indicator when booting up, but the manual doesn't mention any beep codes. You do have a speaker hooked to the MB header to hear the beeps... don't you??? Or are you using just the headphones??? Oddly enough, the asus manual does say in the first time start up section, "see beep codes below" but there are no codes listed. Next page talks about the Vocal Reporter.

So if you are still getting the single beep on power up... maybe all is not lost yet.

Let us know what happens when you get your test card in.
April 16, 2008 10:46:30 PM

TheDraac said:
Does it still make the single beep on power up??? I thought it only beeped the one time after power up. I do know another asus board that has the single beep as a "positive" indicator when booting up, but the manual doesn't mention any beep codes. You do have a speaker hooked to the MB header to hear the beeps... don't you??? Or are you using just the headphones??? Oddly enough, the asus manual does say in the first time start up section, "see beep codes below" but there are no codes listed. Next page talks about the Vocal Reporter.

So if you are still getting the single beep on power up... maybe all is not lost yet.

Let us know what happens when you get your test card in.

ok guys :pt1cable: 
Well, I tried the 'new' (cr*p) PCIx gfx card and it has made no difference at all.
Draac// I have tested it during when it should post using headphones and a speaker. All I get is one pathetic bleep!!

Additionally, on closer inspection at the Mobo (thanks firetatoo for the picture)... I am pretty sure I can see several 'bulging' capacitors...

which means that the likely suspect SURELY has to tbe the Mobo now?

I am resigned to possibly having to buy a new Mobo...but my main concern is if I buy it and then find it STILL doesnt work (for example the processor is fried or the memory is bad)
What do you guys think the chances are that the processor is ok? Is there any visual inspection that will tell me anything at all?!!!

Also, does anyone ever try and repair their motherboard by replacing suspect capacitors? Im competent at soldering and if you think its worth a try for the cost of the Caps....then I could try that first?

But then is there likely to be a bit of ciruitry I cant see that is still fried in the Mobo? :cry: 

Thanks
April 17, 2008 2:43:27 AM

anderow,

If the caps ARE bulging, that could be what's keeping it from booting. I've had several MB with caps that went bad causing the computer to act "strange" for no reason, till it wouldn't boot up. Didn't notice the bad caps till I started poking around.

I have replace bad caps with pretty good success. You can read all about the bad cap issue, (from a number of years ago, that was my cause of problems) at BADCAPS.NET . I bought my caps there and they worked great. Not sure what shipping charges would be to the UK... that is where you are??? He will ship overseas.

I've purchased the "cheaper" caps he carries as well as the "better" Rubycon caps with great results.

If you choose to go that route I've got a couple of tips if you want....
April 17, 2008 4:27:45 PM

I just need to rule this out, because I have the same motherboard and had the EXACT same problem - please note that there is an auxiliary power port on the mobo, devoted to the CPU. Many power supplies, including mine, did not have a cable that matched this port exactly, and needed an adaptor to do so.

Please make sure you have connected this particular item.

If you haven't, the mobo behaves exactly as you describe. It is not covered anywhere in the manual, and I only learned by trial and error.
April 17, 2008 5:19:10 PM

bobbank said:
I just need to rule this out, because I have the same motherboard and had the EXACT same problem - please note that there is an auxiliary power port on the mobo, devoted to the CPU. Many power supplies, including mine, did not have a cable that matched this port exactly, and needed an adaptor to do so.

Please make sure you have connected this particular item.

If you haven't, the mobo behaves exactly as you describe. It is not covered anywhere in the manual, and I only learned by trial and error.

Hi Bob

this is very interesting!!

Please can you tell me where to look for this power supply?

You have got me thinking now :pt1cable: 
April 17, 2008 5:20:54 PM

It was three years ago when I built mine, so I may not remember clearly. But I think it is near the CPU. It isn't small. And it should be in the diagram of the motherboard, labled. It just isn't talked about much in the manual.
April 17, 2008 6:57:00 PM

anderow,

Just a recap on things... In the SECOND post in this thread, roadrunner asked if you did in fact plug in the 4-pin AUX power cable. I looked further and you never verified that you did so. I myself "assumed" that you did, since you were replacing an existing PS and would of course remember what you unplugged.... you did remember, didn't you??? Any way, the following picture shows the location of the 4-pin AUX connector on the MB.

Also, could you post pictures of the caps on your MB that you think are bad so I could get a look at them???

Let us know what happened.
April 17, 2008 9:40:38 PM

TheDraac said:
anderow,

Just a recap on things... In the SECOND post in this thread, roadrunner asked if you did in fact plug in the 4-pin AUX power cable. I looked further and you never verified that you did so. I myself "assumed" that you did, since you were replacing an existing PS and would of course remember what you unplugged.... you did remember, didn't you??? Any way, the following picture shows the location of the 4-pin AUX connector on the MB.

]http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/1913/asusa8nslimbsi0.th.jpg

Also, could you post pictures of the caps on your MB that you think are bad so I could get a look at them???

Let us know what happened.

hi The Draac

Thanks again for your input.
Yes, I have got the processor 4 pin lead plugged in :( 
I was thinking that was the one bob was referring to but hoped I had missed one!!

I am currently trying to get some pictures of the caps. its proving tricky because my digi camera doesnt seem to photograph them very well!

Will post back shortly hopefully with a pic from a different camera
April 26, 2008 4:45:04 PM

ok guys

Just to wind this up, this motherboard turned out to be totally blown beyond repair.

I bought a new MB and new AMD Atholon 6400 X2 processor and rebuilt it and its running great again.

Luckily it hasnt killed the GFX card as well :non: 

Thanks for all the help guys :sol: 
!