help and forgive me on asus L1 board and amd quad

paccman63

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2007
i ask all please do not flame me i have been very ill. now in wheelchair and with a chunk of my brain missing too. before all of that i was at the cutting edge before phenoms and the like...i bought a pair of fx 74 and also a pair of 1700 barcelona quads. and was going to experiment with the asus L1 and try to get a decent server working. my hope was to use the barcelonas and not the fx 74.....as i have been trying to catch up it is difficult to seperate the wheat from the chaff...many articles refer to only being able to use ecc memory some say cant do it at all and others say they are runnig thier barcelonas on the asus L1 with ddr2 memory with the new bios and os flash updates...honestly because of the meds and having my cpu messed with by doctors im haveing a hard time focusing and being sure if i can build this or not...im not even sure if i will be able to use the fx 74 dual chips...im sure you have multiple threads and i have always tried to keep up but i have been sleeping for about 2 months not counting the time being sick that led up to the coma. so would someone be so kind as to hold my hand and just briefly break it down if i can use the board, can i use the barcelonas which were the first set that came out, do i need ecc memory and will the bios and os flash work if em[ployed. i had hoped to do this with vista but i can do it on xp too...i had just hoped to get a chance to try out vista...i hear they even have a service pack for it too...man things move fast when youre out cold for a few months...sorry to be a pest and have to re start as a newbie versus a tech but i really do have trouble focusing...will someone please just give me a hand please...its very hard to take it all in....please? one day when i get back to speed maybe ill be able to help you...so please respond one and all and give an old guy out of a coma a hand i reallly want to build this box. the doc says i need to start useing my hands and brain for more than tapioca and i had been getting ready to build this when the lights wwent out...so please be a pal and lend a hand please? thank you and if nothing else thank you for not flameing me as im just looking for some guidance not crucifiction you can even email me at pacman63@cox.net thanks for any help at all...thank you