Looking to build new gaming system - advice?

Bolgard

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
Hey everyone,

I've had a homebuilt system for about three years now, and it's starting to feel its age. I'm looking to build a new system around summer, say between June and August, so now I'm at the stage where I'm starting to do my research. I haven't really been following hardware developments over the past three years, so unfortunately I have to start from scratch. Basically I'm looking for advice from the technophiles here on a few of the basic components, and perhaps what to look at over the next few months as new products are released.

I'm looking to build a gaming rig, and probably will be making the jump to Vista at this point. My budget is roughly between 2-3k.

My old system is an:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+
2.21 GHz
2 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX

At this point, I'm interested in thoughts and comments on suggested motherboards, RAM, CPU, and video cards. I've also heard that Intel is the way to go for processors this generation, but I'm not sure if that's true.

Any advice or discussion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

-Bolgard

Bolgard

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
I tend to play at 1280 x 1024, but hell, I wouldn't say no to 1600 x 1200. My monitor is a 19", but I'm thinking about getting a new one at some point too - I've had this monitor for practically a decade.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
You might also consider since you have what's really a decent system there, maybe see if your board can support a quad core phenom, hopefully the newer b3 revisions would be out by then, and fix all the bugs they had. Maybe upgrade the video to something in the 9000 series, the 9600gt review I saw says it should be almost as powerful as the 8800gt series. Then upgrade the ram. You can spend 2-3k on a new system, but just offering you an alternative if you want to save some money and still get a good system.

Bolgard

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
Interesting idea. Yeah, an 8800 or equiv. would probably go a long way toward extending the life of my system. As far as RAM goes, do you have any recommendations?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Right about the time you are planning to build yourself a new home built computer the 9800 series will be unleashed, the 9800GX2, 9800GTX and the 9800GT. We are all waiting to see if its worth it for the dual GPU powered 9800GX2 and the temperatures that come with it, and also it they both (2 9800GX2's) scale well together. The 9800GTX is planned for about April-June if were lucky, enough about graphics cards.

For RAM I recommend GSkill's DDR2 2x2GB kit that only takes up two memory slots just as a 2x1GB kit would. Crucial's Ballistix PC2 8500's are also some of the best overclockers, they don't have the 2x2GB kits though. Stay away from DDR3 as it has no performance gain over DDR2 for gaming or much else, I believe DDR3 will benifit Intel's Neleham (on die memory controller) processor due out 2009. As for a new monitor I would get either a 20-24" inch display, a 20-22" (both 20-22" have a resolution of 1680x1050) monitor does not really need SLI and a 24" you would want SLI if your a hardcore gamer.

Intel is the way to go, an E8400 dual core is a fast speed demon. Also a Q6600 or one that replaces it will be better in the long run since you upgrade every two to three years. If your intrested in a new HDD Samsung's Spinpoint F1 is a great performer compared to a fast Raptor, Raptors are not the only big kid on the block any longer. SeaGates Barracuda 7200.11 32MB cache is also a great performer offering large volumes of data storage.

Are you going to overclock your processor? If so then the Tuniq Tower 120 is great for quads.