Sign in with
Your question

Fixed: Windows XP not booting

Last response: in Components
March 14, 2008 12:09:12 AM

This morning my computer decided to start freezing and then fully locked up. I tried to reboot and it stopped after the bios, but I got it to go all the way through the login once only to have explorer not work so I couldn't do anything and at one point it got as far as the login screen with no login box. This causes safe mode too also not work so it is hard to troubleshoot with so little info. I had this problem about a month ago and used Windows repair to fix it but had to reinstall all my programs (corrupted my COD4 mp data :cry: ). Searching google really only brought up the windows repair option and a couple fixboot and fixmbr but I am not sure if those will help. I was hoping maybe someone here has had some experience with this problem to help me out.

windows xp sp2
amd 6000+ dual core
4gb crucial ballistix 667
m2n-sli deluxe am2 nforce 570
250gb WD sata
evga 8800gt superclocked

More about : fixed windows booting

March 14, 2008 12:50:58 AM

Sound like it's time for a clean re-install.

Maybe you can back up some data files first, does safe mode option
let you to a cmd promt atleast?

"Nothing like the smell of a clean XP install in the morning."
March 14, 2008 1:21:08 AM

can you do the "load with last known good settings" option?
Related resources
March 14, 2008 2:44:59 AM

tonyp12 said:
"Nothing like the smell of a clean XP install in the morning."

No doubt this is coming soon, I got it fixed. Some miracle let me into safe mode so I could do a system restore and the windows error log didn't say anything about it.
March 14, 2008 2:46:32 AM

You did not list your PSU or how long you have been useing it.

If the PSU has not gone bad and killed other things with it...d/l a copy of SpinRight 6.0 on another machine and burn it to disk. Set the bad computer to boot from CD and run the program overnight and -if- it is corrupted data it will repair it.
Get the program from www.grc.com or whatever means you can.
March 14, 2008 4:20:26 AM

ZOldDude said:
You did not list your PSU or how long you have been useing it.

If the PSU has not gone bad and killed other things with it...d/l a copy of SpinRight 6.0 on another machine and burn it to disk. Set the bad computer to boot from CD and run the program overnight and -if- it is corrupted data it will repair it.
Get the program from www.grc.com or whatever means you can.

Thought I forgot something, its a 500w enermax liberty and I got it in november.
!