Just OC'd my E6400 but....

Shay101

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Hi, I just recently OC'd my cpu(E6400) and when I went to save it reset and now it doesn't load up anything including my BIOS. My monitor power just blinks. :(

I'm new to OCing so I'm not sure exactly what I did. I increased my FSB to 1200 from 1550.

Is there anyway to revert back or getting back into my BIOS?

Thanks in advance

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
What motherboard do you have?

The easiest way, if you don't know where the jumper is, is to remove the battery on the motherboard. Leave it out for about 2 minutes and that should reset the bios.

I too have an e6400 and have overclocked it to 3.008ghz. I can push it more but there is no performance difference between stock 2.13 and the 3.00ghz for what I do with my rig. I have the gigabyte ds3 rev 1.0 and it is very good for overclocking.

Shay101

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Alright, so I just finished resetting BIOS. I'm back up and running. :)

For future reference- what exactly did I do wrong and what should I be exactly doing to have a better OC?

Also, I can't seem to find my multiplier in BIOS. I only found the FSB.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
First of all, you cannot change the multiplier on that cpu since it is locked. Unless you have one of the extreme edition cpus, the multiplier is locked.

I'm pretty sure that the multiplier you are using is either 8 or 9 (I can't remember mine of the top of my head), and you have to multiply that number by the fsb to get the total result in mhz. I.E. a multiplier of 8 with a fsb of 350 would equal 2.8ghz (2800mhz). It sounds to me like you upped the fsb on the ram or something...
Basically, to change the fsb with the cpu multiplier, you need to unlock the bios settings, usually by hitting CTRL+F1 or something at the main menu to unlock those settings. alongside upping the fsb on your cpu, you will also need to increase the voltage bit by bit on your cpu otherwise it won't boot.

Basically what I just mentioned is what is described in basic ocing. Just google ocing an e6400 on whatever board, and you're more than likely to get a hit or hits...
I have no idea what that '1200' and '1500' for the fsb is you're mentioning. the only thing I can think of is the total fsb between the ram and the cpu.

TRENDING THREADS