February 18, 2008 8:34:29 AM

My BRAND-NEW AMD RIG:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5 Socket AM2+
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 6400+ Black Edition
Case: Thermaltake Armor
Liquid Cooling: Thermaltake TribeVX
Hard Disk 1: (1x) WD Raptor 74GB 10000RPM
Hard Disk 2: (2x) Seagate Barracuda 500GB 32MB in Raid 0
Memory: (2x) CORSAIR DDR2 DIMM "Xms2 Pro" 2GB KIT (1GBx2) PC2-6400 800Mhz CL4/EPP
Video Card: (2x) Sapphire HD3870X2 1GB DDR3 in CrossfireX
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio
DVD-RW: Samsung SH-S202N 20X DOUBLE LAYER DVD -RAM LIGHTSCRIBE RETAIL
Monitor: Samsung 22" SyncMaster 226CW
Accessories 1: Keyboard & Mouse - Logitech Cordless Desktop LX 710 Laser
Accessories 1: Multifuncional Panel - Aerocool PowerWatch Black 25in1

What do you guys think? I'll be posting some pix as well....

More about : amd rig

February 18, 2008 9:01:26 AM

Do you already have all of these parts and already built it? If you already built it and got everything running then everything looks good.

I hope you don't regret going to AMD and will have to change to Intel because if you spend a good amount of money on then be proud of it.
February 18, 2008 1:46:23 PM

Nothing wrong with AMD.
Related resources
February 18, 2008 1:54:54 PM

Nice, very nice. That system looks pretty close to what I would do if I went AMD again. Will be looking forward to pictures, as well as some benchmarks.
February 18, 2008 2:03:37 PM

Seems a shame to pair $900 bucks worth of four GPUs and all that nice hardware with a last gen, bargain CPU. Not really flaming or trolling or anything, it is a nice rig, it really is just a shame though on AMD's part.
February 18, 2008 2:04:06 PM

If I were you I would just get the retail version of the 6000+ it comes with a heat sink. The BE 6400+ you are not going to get that much of an OC out of it because it is already at its limits. Also I would just get one hard drive. IMO those raptor drives are over rated.
February 18, 2008 2:11:46 PM

CmdPT said:
Do you already have all of these parts and already built it? If you already built it and got everything running then everything looks good.

I hope you don't regret going to AMD and will have to change to Intel because if you spend a good amount of money on then be proud of it.

Yes I have pretty much all built it already, actually, to be more precise, I'm currently waiting AMD to release stable drivers for CrossfireX mode, i have one Sapphire HD3870X2 sitting inside the case :( 

I certainly won't regret having built an AMD system, although i know that Intel Cpu's are presently faster. However i hope that one soon day Amd will catch up and be on top again *like back in the old Pentium 4 and Athlon dayz*.... :sarcastic: 

Thanks for the reply guys...stay tuned for pictures!

:) 
February 18, 2008 2:27:21 PM

JuiceJones said:
Seems a shame to pair $900 bucks worth of four GPUs and all that nice hardware with a last gen, bargain CPU. Not really flaming or trolling or anything, it really is just a shame though on AMD's part.

You have a point there on AMD's part, but the CPU Phenoms that are currently on the market didn't quite convinced me in terms of speed and realibility. I thought to go for the last build X2 Athlon (and the commercially fastest one on Athlon family), instead of the current buggy Phenoms and wait untill they will realease the future versions of Phenoms...then i'll definitely make the switch.

February 18, 2008 2:28:15 PM

I'm running an Athlon 5200 x2, does all my games and all just fine. Enjoy it dude. I will be buying AMD as long as they are competitive most likely.
a b À AMD
February 18, 2008 2:29:12 PM

Didnt you guys read the crossfireX article here at toms? 4GPU CrossfireX will need vista

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/13/amd_s_crossfirex...
Quote:
That said, because of this, you are never going to see more than 2 GPUs working on XP making CrossfireX pointless to anyone not liking the tools that come with Vista.

so thats a no go with XP
February 18, 2008 2:41:18 PM

theseus said:
You have a point there on AMD's part, but the CPU Phenoms that are currently on the market didn't quite convinced me in terms of speed and realibility. I thought to go for the last build X2 Athlon (and the commercially fastest one on Athlon family), instead of the current buggy Phenoms and wait untill they will realease the future versions of Phenoms...then i'll definitely make the switch.

And a good decision you made. Hopefully the Phenoms will straighten up a bit and you'll have a good drop-in upgrade for your monstrous rig.
a b À AMD
February 18, 2008 3:06:17 PM

looks good.....

i would go for a better sound card since its a host based card. it uses the same chip as the Audigy 2 SE and SB Live! 24-bit and all X-fi features are done with software not the card it self....

XtremeGamer or XtremeMusic(if you can find one) are better choices....
February 18, 2008 3:12:22 PM

JuiceJones said:
And a good decision you made. Hopefully the Phenoms will straighten up a bit and you'll have a good drop-in upgrade for your monstrous rig.

Yeah, he better pray with all his might. If not, he'll have to fork out another $400+ for a Q6600...wait, you can't get a CrossFire board for Core 2's..can you...
a b À AMD
February 18, 2008 3:13:09 PM

Intel chipsets support crossfire...not sure about crossfire X tho....its all down to drivers....
!