new PC keeps freezing sli vista? HELP, need to restart cant install st

halfcraft

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
hey my new computer keeps freezing
it has a ASUS P5N-e SLI mobo
2x 8800gt sli
750 gig hdd

well everytime i do anything on it, it freezes and dosnt respond i need to turn the computer off for it too work

i try to install games programs and it juss stops responding

could it be overheating or something?

i got the bios updated on the mobo at the computer shop
it is there now but they said the problem is with windows vista
he said that vista isnt compatable with sli, but i got sli activated and i cant see whyu vista would make it freeze

also i had only 1 card in there and it still froze

i cant install programs cant update the software i cant do anything it juss freezes and then blue screens after a while

at the shop they said they were testing the computer on windows xp now and then vista

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Keep that FUD outta here D_B. I had a feeling when I clicked this post, some linux-head or vista basher would come crawling out of the woodwork.

Most likely what is happening is your video cards are overheating. The 8800 GT was bad about this on their first production runs. I can't say for sure that they fixed the problem yet, but you can help me find out halfcraft.

I'm guessing you have Aero enabled. If you do, it's going to put more stress on your video cards, so in essence, they "idle" higher. Two GTs right next to each other will increase the heat generated by the pair overall.

Have you ever heard the fans for the GTs spin up faster to adjust for temperature automatically? It is a noticeable whine, they are small fans.

If not, then you need to set your fan speeds manually, like I have to do. I heard that a BIOS flash on the cards may fix it, but Ntune or RivaTuner will do the job just as well. I personally use Ntune to set my fan speed direclty to 60% all the time. This keeps it nice and cool at idle, and well under shutdown temps under load.

For an SLI setup, you may want to go 65%, but try 60% first, as it seems to be the sweet spot for noise:cooling ratio.

OK, if that isn't the issue, it could also be a number of other problems. Power supply could be an issue, what PSU are you using?

Please post a complete hardware list for your PC, might make it easier to find the culprit.

Dirty_Barry

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
I almost have half a mind to give a fcuk.

Tell me Thanatos421; how many PC's and OS' have you ever used?

This is me actually replying to your post: At what point did I bash MS's latest shambles?

I've run it; I hated it. Switched back to linux.
I can say on EXPERIENCE and comment why I hate vista. Can you comment why you don't use linux??

If you can't then STFU.
n00b.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

I would have plainly commented on the fact that your original reponse did nothing to help the OP, so why bother posting at all?

OP: I agree with Thanantos, could well be an overheating issue

I think the computer store doesnt know what they are talking about "SLI doesnt work with VISTA" pull the other leg mate thats ridiculus

Ill list what i think could be causes 1. to 5.

1. Overheating (try Thanontos ideas)
2. RAM (this can be tested with memtest86+ bootable, see if you get errors and make sure voltage and timings are correct in BIOS)
3. PSU (somewhat tested when you used single GPU but see if you can test with another PSU)
4. Driver issue (should be able to update drivers through Safe mode)
5. Hard drive, if its on the way out or has badsectors this could also be the cause of the freezing

You can also turn of auto restart on system error so you can let us know what the BSOD says. this would help.

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Let's see, I've used many different PCs dating back to my 486 SX 25Mhz. I've worked with Windows in all it's forms, Linux (Red Hat and Ubuntu) and Mac OS. I didn't say that Linux was good or bad, but your comments are typical of the elitist Linux users. Vista works, period. Ignorant (not stupid) users are the reason it fails 90% of the time. So go give your fcuk to someone else.

Also, D_B, maybe next time, you can use your personal experience to make a qualified, reasonable suggestion to help the OP fix their problem, and not waste forum space.