AMD Phenom Quad-Core VS Intel Quad Core

Coden

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
Does anyone know how the AMD quad core compares to Intel's Quad core? I am looking to build new PC would like to know which processor would be better buy.

Both cpus are overkill for the average user. You'll never need more than 2 cores. It's mostly for bragging rights. Fry's has had the q6600 for $199 with board (black friday) or the cpu only for $189 recently. Their best deal with the phenom 9600 was $169 recently with ecs board. The Intel cpu is easier to overclock with good memory, so it's a better cpu if you get a good price.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Uhhh...

1) You will use 4 cores if you run any app that uses at least 2 cores (explained below).
2) Never say never in this business
3) Overclockability isn't the only thing that makes a good CPU, but it helps.

As long as you're running a multithreaded OS such as XP or Vista, anything else you're doing will be offloaded on to the free cores. I.E. if you're running a game that uses only two cores, those two cores can be dedicated to the game while the other two cores are dedicated to the OS. So even if the game or app you're running might not use more than two cores, you can still see a performance boost with a quad-core (however slight).

Intel CPUs have more than just overclocking going for them. They have efficiency, less power usage, more speed/watt, faster clock-for-clock, at STOCK SPEEDS than any AMD chip at this moment. While the overclocking potential for Intel chips are a lot higher, if you don't plan on overclocking, you will still have a nice lead on AMD in most circumstances.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I just bout a Q6600 for $179 from Frys.Com, but that was a few hour sale.

If considering a Q6600, I would suggest waiting until after April 20th.
Intel is having a price cut of about $40 then.

You whould be able to find it in the low $200s insteasd of mid $200s for everyday pricing.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Yeah, the only reason to buy AMD right now is if you are on a tight budget. Don't let anyone fool you, they are good.... they're just not Intel.

Intel's Q6600 came out how long ago and AMD has yet to really produce anything for the public to use that is better than it.

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
The only good deal QUAD in intel is Q6600 model and to AMD all Phenoms are good priced I think.

All quads are too much for common use thats if Crysis is not a common use to you.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

That is a REALLY sweet NewEgg Deal Right now.

The Antec 900/Phenom 9600 is a very sweet deal at this point in time.

According to this, the Q6600 is a bit faster than the Phenom 9600 (both at stock) when compressing DVDs.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=1075&model2=871&chart=440
That's the only thing I ever do that really benefits from a quad. I'm sure the Phenom 9600 would finish the job in exactly the same time, because my stock Q6600 doesn't work at 100% (more like 81%) when doing things like that.
Happily for AMD, a lot of people are in the same boat as me. That is, they don't need to care that the Q6600 is faster at stock, or whether their CPUs can be overclocked or not and how much.

On the other hand, if you play Flight Simulator or do other very CPU-intensive things, you should probably get a Q9450 and overclock it as far as you can.

krazyk12

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
More and more games nowadays are supporting multi-core. And along with that, multitasking is really nice with a quad.

If you play to OC go Q6600, u will get a G0 if u buy from newegg, cant guarantee from other sites.

G0 can get to at least 3.6 on air. Ive seen higher also

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
LOL, i have a quad, but my dual core was just fine. Amd builds very good processors, intel just builds better ones at the monment, its a win win either way, epecialy for quads

mohsinali

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
INTEL QUAD CORE IS BETTER I TEST RODUCTS FOR DELL BECAUSE DELL WANTED TO CHECK IF AMD'S QUAD CORE WAS ANY GOOD COMPARED TO INTEL'S THEY WANTED TO SEE THE COMPETITION. AMD WAS GOOD BUT INTEL KILLED IT I THINK THE AMD PROCESSOR STILL HAS SOME BUGS IN IT AND DOESN'T MEET MY EXPECTATIONS BUT INTEL DOES. I SPENT ALL MY PAY CHECK(AFTER BILLS AND GROCERIES) ON MAKING A NEW PC WITH AN INTEL QUAD CORE PROCESOR A COMCAST 16 MILLIBIT/SEC INTERNET AND A 3 TB HARD DRIVE PLUS A $750 100 TB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE!!!! NO LYING LOOK IT UP!!!!! I HAD A 10 GB RAM AND A 7 GB MEMORY. IT IS SOOOOOO FAST AND THE ACTUALL COMPUTER IS A DELL DESKTOP WITH SUPER ENHANCED GRAPHICS AS A HOBBY I DO VIDEO EDITING AND I CAN REDER VIDS AND UPLOAD THEM IN SECONDS ITS SOOOOOOO FAST YES I HAVE BRAGGING RIGHTS HA HA HA HA HA HA.I HAVE THE BEST HOME COMP IN ALL OF NJ. SRRY BOUT SPELLING AND CAPS

Arthur_Merlin

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009

A retarded person came up with this quote!

"Good in theory but not in Practice
not a good theory"

"If it was not for the theories Scientists would be nowhere fast!"
"It takes an intelligent person to make a theory into more than just a thought!"
"Theories are the basis for everything that exists today, Even language"
"Everyone takes for granted all the simple pleasures which were once complex to begin with over time!"
"No body even thinks about it really although language is a technology which as advanced our level of communication with each other the continues to Advance within the human computer called the brain!"
"We have such capability being biological that our brain naturally evolves due to our enhancement of knowledge automatically increasing memory capacity, and speed of access time for reflexes!"
"A computer, or robot would have to be capable of self repair (nanotechnology) which we are even capable of"