cpu coolers with backplate heatsink, do they exist?

mcycle

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
my friend bought a new computer a few weeks ago (gigabyte motherboard) and it came with a slim heatsink that can be attached to the other side of the cpu.
it is called Crazy Cool.
i was thinking into getting one myself, but it comes only with gigabyte motherboards.
so my question is out there any coolers that include this kind of heatsing and if yes does it worth it at all?

faster3200

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
The crazy cooling is kind of a waste. It really doesn't effect temps since it isn't actually attached to the part producing the heat, it is more of a gimmick that just gets in the way of aftermarket cooler installation.

I haven't actually seen these coolers for sale other than on Gigabyte mobos so I doubt you could/ would want to buy them.

Superhal

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Thermalright IFX-14. rather expensive, and hard to find a distributor. Also, since the same screws are used to mount both the backplate and the hsf, installation might be a 2 person job.

yaoiboimi

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I wonder if they got a backplate waterblock around. Would there be much of an impact to a watercooled system with a waterblock on the otherside of the mobo...? I think if they did make one. I wouuld have to cut a hole into my motherboard mounting tray to put the hoses back in there and allow the room for the waterblock. But wouldn't any block become a hazard to most boards. Wouldn't you short out the board?