Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Nvidia's in trouble

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 26, 2008 2:48:37 PM

Yes, Nvidia. Despite the 3x market cap advantage and the fact Nvidia's Geforce 9 series is coming out very soon, I believe they will be the losers over the next two years.

Firstly, their chipset business is in ruins. They are forcing manufacturers to release an entirely new series of expensive motherboards (7xx) with just a bugfix to make them run what everyone expected to run on their 6xx series: 45nm Intel processors. The dissipation of their chipsets is extremely high, so much so that Intel is annoyed at having to include two of their chips in Skulltrail. Nvidia's chipsets no longer offer significant advantages over Intel's or AMD's in price or features, especially as Crossfire matures.

Secondly, the Geforce 9 series is just a rebadged Geforce 8 series. The third highest projected SKU, the 9800GT, is rumoured to be just an 8800GT with Tri-SLI support. The second highest, the 9800GXT, will be an 8800GTS with slightly higher clocks and be no more than 15% better than the 8800GTX released well over a year ago. The top SKU, the 9800GX2, will suffer from all of the problems of SLI (Nvidia have shown no commitment to improving SLI, wheras AMD has shown their dual card, the HD3870X2, can provide nearly transparent Crossfire.), have an extremely high dissipation dueto the 65nm technology and idle-state power reduction being behind AMD's. Also due to the 65nm process and a lesser degree of integration between the cores than HD3870X2, the production is more expensive which could put the retail cost of the 9800GX2 $100 or $150 above the HD3870X2. There is a high chance of supply issues too.

Thirdly, you haven't seen AMD's real high-end yet. The HD3870X2 is out, but the CrossfireX driver that will provide even better performance and transparency than the already impressive current Crossfire driver isn't out yet.

Anandtech's CrossfireX preview:

Configuration HL2 UT3 Bioshock CoD4 Crysis
2-way CF Improvement over 1 card 83% 80% 71% 98% 87%
3-way CF improvement over 2 cards 30% 34% 37% 44% 0%
4-way CF improvement over 3 cards 10% 3% 7% 29% 4%
4-way CF improvement over 1 card 160% 150% 151% 268% 98%

Those aren't even final numbers - that's just a testing build. When the final driver is released in March, the HD3870X2 has the potential to improve in benchmarks by 20% due to Crossfire improvements. This doesn't account for single-card monthly driver improvements which AMD will have had three or more months of by the time the 9 series is established.

Fourthly, there has been plenty of independent rumours about R700. Final silicon has been returned, and some potential model numbers have been leaked. It is looking set for a late Q2/early Q3 release, according to some sources, and with the native multi-core architecture it will show the power of AMD's new Crossfire and be cheaper to manufacture with better yields than a big single-core card. In contrast, there have been very few rumours about Nvidia's next generation - instead we hear that some low-end 9 series cards could be released in May and June, almost ruling out a big new launch immediately after. I think R700 will be on its own in the field for a quarter of so, and being a new generation it will destroy both G9x and RV670 in all the benchmarks.

Fifthly, standards support on the Nvidia side is lacking. AMD were the first to DirectX 10.1 (and Nvidia doesn't have it in the Geforce 9 series either), the first to PCI-E 2.0, the first to DisplayPort and the first to have double-precision for GPGPU computing.

Sixthly, take a look at this article: http://www.3dprofessor.org/Reviews%20Folder%20Pages/Fir...

AMD, with the 80nm "failed"R600 architecture-based FireGLs, has taken back the performance leadership in the workstation market while being significantly cheaper than Quadro FX. With RV670 at 55nm and then R700 at 55nm or 45nm, think how much more of a performance lead AMD could get with no real improvements forecast on the Nvidia side for six months or more. That was previously a very profitable market for Nvidia; could their market share fall?

Finally, with Intel's new GPU architecture Larrabee and AMD's Fusion project integrating 45nm revised Phenoms with GPU cores, Nvidia won't be able to offer as much value in their products in the longer term. I can't make solid predictions beyond 2008 though, so perhaps Nvidia will have some initiative of their own: Geforce as a PPU, perhaps? AMD have also opened up their GPU specifications and are supporting an open-source driver project. This could end up with a better quality driver and more support from the growing group of free software advocates (I bought an AMD card for my Ubuntu computer for that reason).

So, Nvidia doesn't have much of a chance in the next few years. I think they will try and offer better price/performance as AMD did in 2007 - with the corresponding reduction in revenue.

More about : nvidia trouble

February 26, 2008 2:57:14 PM

i smell a fan boy!! flame him !!
February 26, 2008 3:11:13 PM

sunny27 said:
i smell a fan boy!! flame him !!


What do you mean? I'm not being irrational, I'm stating what we know, what can reasonably be extrapolated from past occurences and only the best-sourced rumours (and I'm being fair in stating allk the rumours for both sides)

You can't dispute the 9 series being underwhelming, nor CrossfireX's performance, nor the chipset/workstation graphics problems Nvidia is having.

I may be an AMD fan, but only to the extent that they tend to offer the best price/performance and stimulate competition in the x86 market.
Related resources
February 26, 2008 3:15:00 PM

Have you considered the fact that Nvidia really dosent need to be scrambling to get new cards out? the 8800 series still beats out Ati's best of the best. The 9xxx series will only furthe bump that bar...

Its like Intel. AMD has got to get their sh*t together. Intel can just sit back and let the cash roll in cause AMD wont have anything to really compeat with Intel for a while. (perhaps the new Phenom might have some kick, but only compeats with the low-mid range Intel...And we still dont know how its gonna turn out...)

Just consider the fact that Nvidia has been on top for a year with the same card... Not an easy task... Unless you know what you are doing..
February 26, 2008 3:18:58 PM

bombasschicken said:
... the 8800 series still beats out Ati's best of the best ... Just consider the fact that Nvidia has been on top for a year with the same card... Not an easy task... Unless you know what you are doing..


No; the HD3870X2, a single card by any definition, beats a single 8800GTS-G92, 8800Ultra or 9600GT.

February 26, 2008 3:27:51 PM

Game_boy said:
No; the HD3870X2, a single card by any definition, beats a single 8800GTS-G92, 8800Ultra or 9600GT.


Ok, perhaps I need to check up on some benchmarks for that card. So I can give you that..

Now consider this...

It took ATI 2 chips on one card to beat out Nvidia with a single chip on its card...

What happens when Nvidia comes out with the 8800gt2(x2)??? Or 2 chips on one board? ( I couldnt quit figure out how to type that.. I hope Nvidia is more inventive than me..)
February 26, 2008 3:28:37 PM

Game_boy said:
What do you mean? I'm not being irrational, I'm stating what we know, what can reasonably be extrapolated from past occurences and only the best-sourced rumours (and I'm being fair in stating allk the rumours for both sides)

You can't dispute the 9 series being underwhelming, nor CrossfireX's performance, nor the chipset/workstation graphics problems Nvidia is having.

I may be an AMD fan, but only to the extent that they tend to offer the best price/performance and stimulate competition in the x86 market.


Firstly, the first PCI-Express 2.0 card was the 8800GT... so that piece of info is ballax...

As for you 'STATING WHAT YOU KNOW'.....

How on earth do you know the 9 series spec if it hasnt been released by nVidia yet you plank? All this is is rubbish issued out by AMD/ATi to scare people into buying nVidia products... look at the 'upcoming X2 drivers' comment... its clear AMD / ATi is filling its pants, since the release of the 9600GT and wants to ensure as many people buy their products before nVidia's high end comes out.

There is NO CHANCE on Earth that nVidia would release a high end card that was only marginally better than its mid-end counterpart.

Also, SLi IS IMPROVING, hence why 2 x 9600GTs perform better than the X2...

Infact, is there anything you've said there which is factual???

nVidia have messed up on the chipset side of things... maybe its time they let that side of things go and stick to what they do best...
But if they stick to just producing GPU's.... then ATi's in trouble.

Am I an nVidia fanboy?? No? I'd buy an ATi card today if it were going to do the job I want it to. Unfortunately none of their current range single GPU solutions will do what I have in mind. So when 9 series comes, I can then decide which side to buy from
February 26, 2008 3:34:49 PM

Game_boy said:
No; the HD3870X2, a single card by any definition, beats a single 8800GTS-G92, 8800Ultra or 9600GT.


The 9800GX2, a single card by any definition, WILL beat a single HD3870 X2.

So where's your argument?

HD3870 X2 Costs £250+

2 x 9600GT's Cost £240

Which does best in benchmarks? The 9600GT SLI setup.

ATi Fanboy go pick up your wage cheque and P45 from the ATi HQ

The wage cheque pays you up until 26/02/08 GMT 17:34, which is when I proved your SINGLE CARD DEFINITION comment to be a load of unprovable rubbish.

The P45 applies at the point your pay cheque ends... since you have failed them greatly.

Also supplied by ATi will be a noose, a ceiling hook, and a chair. Use them wisely.
February 26, 2008 3:39:45 PM

dev1se said:
There is NO CHANCE on Earth that nVidia would release a high end card that was only marginally better than its mid-end counterpart.

You may be in for a surprise...
February 26, 2008 3:41:42 PM

I wonder what it feels like to write a hugh post like that.. prolly taking upwards of an hour or more, only to have it blown to crap within the first few replys...
February 26, 2008 3:42:09 PM

homerdog said:
You may be in for a surprise...


We'll see when the official specs are released... Whats the point on judging the cards based on hear-say and rumours.
February 26, 2008 3:51:34 PM

Game_boy said:
Yes, Nvidia. Despite the 3x market cap advantage and the fact Nvidia's Geforce 9 series is coming out very soon, I believe they will be the losers over the next two years.

Firstly, their chipset business is in ruins. They are forcing manufacturers to release an entirely new series of expensive motherboards (7xx) with just a bugfix to make them run what everyone expected to run on their 6xx series: 45nm Intel processors. The dissipation of their chipsets is extremely high, so much so that Intel is annoyed at having to include two of their chips in Skulltrail. Nvidia's chipsets no longer offer significant advantages over Intel's or AMD's in price or features, especially as Crossfire matures.

Secondly, the Geforce 9 series is just a rebadged Geforce 8 series. The third highest projected SKU, the 9800GT, is rumoured to be just an 8800GT with Tri-SLI support. The second highest, the 9800GXT, will be an 8800GTS with slightly higher clocks and be no more than 15% better than the 8800GTX released well over a year ago. The top SKU, the 9800GX2, will suffer from all of the problems of SLI (Nvidia have shown no commitment to improving SLI, wheras AMD has shown their dual card, the HD3870X2, can provide nearly transparent Crossfire.), have an extremely high dissipation dueto the 65nm technology and idle-state power reduction being behind AMD's. Also due to the 65nm process and a lesser degree of integration between the cores than HD3870X2, the production is more expensive which could put the retail cost of the 9800GX2 $100 or $150 above the HD3870X2. There is a high chance of supply issues too.

Thirdly, you haven't seen AMD's real high-end yet. The HD3870X2 is out, but the CrossfireX driver that will provide even better performance and transparency than the already impressive current Crossfire driver isn't out yet.

Anandtech's CrossfireX preview:

Configuration HL2 UT3 Bioshock CoD4 Crysis
2-way CF Improvement over 1 card 83% 80% 71% 98% 87%
3-way CF improvement over 2 cards 30% 34% 37% 44% 0%
4-way CF improvement over 3 cards 10% 3% 7% 29% 4%
4-way CF improvement over 1 card 160% 150% 151% 268% 98%

Those aren't even final numbers - that's just a testing build. When the final driver is released in March, the HD3870X2 has the potential to improve in benchmarks by 20% due to Crossfire improvements. This doesn't account for single-card monthly driver improvements which AMD will have had three or more months of by the time the 9 series is established.

Fourthly, there has been plenty of independent rumours about R700. Final silicon has been returned, and some potential model numbers have been leaked. It is looking set for a late Q2/early Q3 release, according to some sources, and with the native multi-core architecture it will show the power of AMD's new Crossfire and be cheaper to manufacture with better yields than a big single-core card. In contrast, there have been very few rumours about Nvidia's next generation - instead we hear that some low-end 9 series cards could be released in May and June, almost ruling out a big new launch immediately after. I think R700 will be on its own in the field for a quarter of so, and being a new generation it will destroy both G9x and RV670 in all the benchmarks.

Fifthly, standards support on the Nvidia side is lacking. AMD were the first to DirectX 10.1 (and Nvidia doesn't have it in the Geforce 9 series either), the first to PCI-E 2.0, the first to DisplayPort and the first to have double-precision for GPGPU computing.

Sixthly, take a look at this article: http://www.3dprofessor.org/Reviews%20Folder%20Pages/Fir...

AMD, with the 80nm "failed"R600 architecture-based FireGLs, has taken back the performance leadership in the workstation market while being significantly cheaper than Quadro FX. With RV670 at 55nm and then R700 at 55nm or 45nm, think how much more of a performance lead AMD could get with no real improvements forecast on the Nvidia side for six months or more. That was previously a very profitable market for Nvidia; could their market share fall?

Finally, with Intel's new GPU architecture Larrabee and AMD's Fusion project integrating 45nm revised Phenoms with GPU cores, Nvidia won't be able to offer as much value in their products in the longer term. I can't make solid predictions beyond 2008 though, so perhaps Nvidia will have some initiative of their own: Geforce as a PPU, perhaps? AMD have also opened up their GPU specifications and are supporting an open-source driver project. This could end up with a better quality driver and more support from the growing group of free software advocates (I bought an AMD card for my Ubuntu computer for that reason).

So, Nvidia doesn't have much of a chance in the next few years. I think they will try and offer better price/performance as AMD did in 2007 - with the corresponding reduction in revenue.


The 7900gt was just like the 7800gtx with like 4% better performance
February 26, 2008 3:59:31 PM

Game_boy said:
You can't dispute the 9 series being underwhelming, nor CrossfireX's performance, nor the chipset/workstation graphics problems Nvidia is having.


The 9 series is "underwhelming?" Now I understand that the 9600 is just the mainstream card, but did you read the same review on Tom's that I did? I'd say their review was a bit more positive than "underwhelming" especially considering it was mentioned in the same sentence as ATI's 3870 line of cards. The benchmarks speak for themselves. If that's what being in trouble is like, wow... having your mainstream card compared to your competitor's top-tier card... it sure must suck to be Nvidia. *shakes his head in disbelief*
February 26, 2008 4:01:15 PM

Game_boy said:
No; the HD3870X2, a single card by any definition, beats a single 8800GTS-G92, 8800Ultra or 9600GT.


I must have missed the benches where ATI released the fastest card on the market...

8800Ultra is the fastest card available at this very moment.
February 26, 2008 4:02:34 PM

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/200802221320...

NOOOOO, I bought a 8800GT for a reason.

And rumors should either be considered sketchy to non-relevant. I mean, look at the Phenom's rumors from the past.
Lets all just wait for reviews to show up and see which is better.
My thoughts on ATI and nVidia:
ATI = Better graphics and visually more appealing
nVidia = performance and FPS

And please don't flame on me or anything. This is just my thoughts from the past couple of years.
February 26, 2008 4:08:25 PM

VoidPhantom said:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/200802221320...

NOOOOO, I bought a 8800GT for a reason.

And rumors should either be considered sketchy to non-relevant. I mean, look at the Phenom's rumors from the past.
Lets all just wait for reviews to show up and see which is better.
My thoughts on ATI and nVidia:
ATI = Better graphics and visually more appealing
nVidia = performance and FPS

And please don't flame on me or anything. This is just my thoughts from the past couple of years.


I have placed my blowtorch on the ground and instead open my arms for a great big hug (whilst whispering - 'buy nvidia' in your left ear')
February 26, 2008 4:26:54 PM

Yup, you are right it is marginally faster; I found more info on other sites as well to back that up, my mistake.

Can you Sli two HD3870X2 (one card)?

I will be very surprised if the 9800 series don’t reclaim the title, considering how little advantage the 3870 x2 has now.
February 26, 2008 4:34:32 PM

grieve said:
Can you Sli two HD3870X2 (one card)?

Not yet, but you will be able to soon. Of course you always have to ask "is is worth it.": http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3232

The HD3870X2 isn't exactly 1 card. Well it is 1 card as in 1 PCB, but it has to GPUs. It's a better solution than Nvidia's dual PCB design for the 9800GX2, but the 9800GX2 will most likely still be faster.
February 26, 2008 4:34:46 PM

grieve said:
Yup, you are right it is marginally faster; I found more info on other sites as well to back that up, my mistake.

Can you Sli two HD3870X2 (one card)?

I will be very surprised if the 9800 series don’t reclaim the title, considering how little advantage the 3870 x2 has now.


Oh, I'm not disputing that the 9800GX2 will be 10% or less faster than the HD3870X2, but it will also cost over a third more. HD3870X2 CF (coming March) will beat 9800GX2 SLI if that even exists.
February 26, 2008 4:35:32 PM

homerdog said:
but the 9800GX2 will most likely still be faster.


And "not worth it" due to it costing a third more.

a c 143 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 26, 2008 4:39:00 PM

You'll never be able to SLI two HD3870X2 cards. You will be able to Crossfire them, but the drivers for that won't be available for another couple of weeks AFAIK.
February 26, 2008 4:42:57 PM

grieve said:

Can you Sli two HD3870X2 (one card)?


Actually guys I was saying this sarcastically...because you can SLI 2 Ultras which annihilate his single card that can’t be crossfired.

9800*** Sli will be the best.
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 26, 2008 4:47:41 PM

grieve said:
Actually guys I was saying this sarcastically...because you can SLI 2 Ultras which annihilate his single card that can’t be crossfired.

9800*** Sli will be the best.


Yeah, if you've got an Enermax Galaxy 1000W, sure. I wonder if my 750W PSU will be enough for two 9800GTXs and a bunch of hard disks :sweat: 
February 26, 2008 4:52:14 PM

lol I planned on getting two GTX (eventually) and at the time i purchased at my local store they didn’t have anything 700+. I am guilty of impatience.


**edit**
If i could i would have got this, which is still a little overkill.
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Black) EPS12V 750W Power Supply - Retail
February 26, 2008 4:54:02 PM

Game_boy said:
And "not worth it" due to it costing a third more.

And the defensive fanboy award for this week goes to...

By the way, you're probably right :) 
February 26, 2008 5:00:46 PM

As I've owned ATI cards for the past few years, (actually, never owned Nvidia) I don't know how often they release new drivers. Can anyone enlighten me? Sometimes I'm amazed at how often ATI drivers are released (premature product or excellet software team?) and like to think of that as a good thing. I think that is a good reason why the 3800 series of cards will get better, hopefully (since I own a 3870x2) the CrossfireX will be as good as it is supposed to be.

It would be great if Nvidia would get their smaller dies more mainstream and re-think their dual gpu implementation (won't they learn?) they would be far and away the best video card manufacturer.
February 26, 2008 5:25:36 PM

firebird said:
As I've owned ATI cards for the past few years, (actually, never owned Nvidia) I don't know how often they release new drivers. Can anyone enlighten me?

Nvidia's driver release schedule is nowhere near as regular as ATI's. It isn't a case of "if it ain't broke" either. This is one area where Nvidia needs to really step its game up.

I commend ATI on its timely driver releases, but better drivers will only take them so far; they need better cards.
February 26, 2008 5:38:43 PM

Not one post has yet examined all of my points yet. Please criticise all of them if you feel Nvidia is not in trouble.
February 26, 2008 5:59:02 PM

dev1se said:
The 9800GX2, a single card by any definition, WILL beat a single HD3870 X2.

That's a mighty interesting comment considering this reply -

"How on earth do you know the 9 series spec if it hasnt been released by nVidia yet you plank?"

by you, a few replies above.
So, you're just manipulating the figures (what figures?!?!) to justify your argument.
Before you start slanging into someone else, remember what you've said....
February 26, 2008 6:01:30 PM

dev1se said:
Oh here he goes again, comparing a card that's been released about 30 days to one that's been around over 300!

So there is a time frame over which a card can be better than another, is there...??
:sleep:  :sleep: 

February 26, 2008 6:08:15 PM

Game_boy said:
Not one post has yet examined all of my points yet. Please criticise all of them if you feel Nvidia is not in trouble.

I agree with several points you made (and I have my fireproof coat on all the time now, on the TH forums! :lol:  ).
Just looking at PREDICTED performance, so it is my OPINION and not fact, I reckon that by the time the 9800GX2 is released, the drivers on the 3870X2 will be pretty good and the gap won't be enormous, I do though think the crown will go back to Nvidia.
But supposedly not long after the 9800GX2 release (2 months or so) there are rumours the 4xxx series will be released and I reckon that will take back the crown (in 4870X2 form).

Oh and guys, you have to get off this 'fastest single-card' bollocks, that's fanboy crap if I ever heard it! Nvidia are releasing a dual-card (albeit, in my opinion, not as good a design as ATi) so that argument has absolutely no weight!
February 26, 2008 6:31:45 PM

Ok, to get back on topic, I think Nvidia is going to have to re-think their position on the Nforce chipset. What are the advatages of going with an Nforce chipset over an Intel? Maybe support for 3 way SLI? Which is only going to affect a small number of us enthusiast users. Going with an Intel chipset lets me choose my graphics card in either SLI or Xfire. So from that point of view, unless I'm dead set on an Geforce and the Nforce gives better performance than the Intel, I'm more likely to buy Intel.

I'm not sure if they have to worry yet in the professional graphics area yet. How ofter does a new GPU come out that tips the tables? Maybe they aren't the best right now, but when you consider the future they are just as viable as ATI/AMD.
February 26, 2008 6:39:44 PM

firebird said:
Going with an Intel chipset lets me choose my graphics card in either SLI or Xfire.


im learning all sorts of new stuff on this tread!
X48 can Sli? every board i looked at was crossfire.
February 26, 2008 6:42:53 PM

Well Nvidia don't have to make better card than tweaked 8800 GTS, because they are good enough for them.
They can play wait game with theis g200 gpu. If and when ATI prings something better (say 700 series), they will pring their next real new card.
It cheaper to sell allready tested product than take the leap to unknown.

Thats's why competition is so important! as I and many other people in this forum has said before. It keeps the development going on.
Ofcource we allso have to remember, that even for Nvidia it's very expensive to develop new gpu. It's not possile to take big leaps everytime.

a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2008 6:45:39 PM

I agree that nVidia may have to come to some harsh decisions.I hope the GTX will be a monster, but Im not so sure it will, and if speculation precedes reality, then from what we all have read sofar, the GTX will be about 15% faster than the old GTX and the XT will be 50% faster than the 3870. Sounds like a tight race to me. Just my HO
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2008 7:00:25 PM

Also, consider this. If Intel decides to not allow support for their chipsets to either ATI or nVidia, then I think nVidia has a severe problem. Intel enetering the race will cause nVidia problems as well as ATI. Dont think that nVidia will be only competing against ATI. So, sadly it MAY come down to resources. Just as the Athlon64 was a better product than the P4, AMD didnt do as well as expected. Can nVidia expect more? And will Intels solution be inferior? If it comes down to being exclusive (same manufacturer, same platform) nVidias in for a tough time
February 26, 2008 7:13:46 PM

Crysis says that Nvidia is the way its meant to be played! ATI is not. End of story!
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2008 7:19:12 PM

And with the resources that Intel has, do you think theyll just sit by and let nVidia get the first try at new games?
February 26, 2008 7:19:30 PM

bombasschicken said:
Ok, perhaps I need to check up on some benchmarks for that card. So I can give you that..

Now consider this...

It took ATI 2 chips on one card to beat out Nvidia with a single chip on its card...

What happens when Nvidia comes out with the 8800gt2(x2)??? Or 2 chips on one board? ( I couldnt quit figure out how to type that.. I hope Nvidia is more inventive than me..)


And it still doesnt support DX10.1..... I wish MS would release more info on DX10.1 already. Its a MAJOR player coming up soon.
February 26, 2008 7:21:48 PM

I wouldn't worry about nvidia they make great graphics cards. They have market dominance (if you don't count integrated) for graphics cards and are fighting to keep it with very competitively priced solutions.
February 26, 2008 7:52:43 PM

First off... Whoever said "flame on" was right! Second, CF does seem to scale better then SLI. If this is inaccurate, please give links. Also, frames per second is not everything. ATI has some darn good image quality. I will say this though about the image quality, DX10 is supposed to even that out a little more.
February 26, 2008 7:57:55 PM

i believe the money is in the mainstream. How many pc owners have the best of the best?

like 5%?
February 26, 2008 8:02:52 PM

more like 1%....

All i want is a card now that'll power crysis at ultra high with 40FPS... I dont care if its ATi or nvidia's aslong as it gets the job done.

A single card that is.

I dont wanna spend 100% more on an extra card that'll only give me 20% more performance in the game that matters most.
February 26, 2008 8:05:01 PM

dev1se said:
more like 1%....

All i want is a card now that'll power crysis at ultra high with 40FPS... I dont care if its ATi or nvidia's aslong as it gets the job done.

A single card that is.

I dont wanna spend 100% more on an extra card that'll only give me 20% more performance in the game that matters most.


Agreed, very good point.
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2008 8:11:39 PM

Like Fusion or Larrabee? nVidia needs something to get to where ATI and Intel is heading. Im hoping it happens, as I think 3 competitors better than 2
February 26, 2008 8:23:43 PM

Game_boy said:
No; the HD3870X2, a single card by any definition, beats a single 8800GTS-G92, 8800Ultra or 9600GT.

thats a x2 card idiot .. if youre gonna compare 3870x2 with an single card then youre far out.
you have to compare it with 9800GX2 or 29600GTs in sli because they will kick the **** out of the 3870x2 and thyre like 90$ cheaper
February 26, 2008 8:25:16 PM

Wow... I've never seen so many quick-to-the-trigger fanboys in one forum.

1) Crysis is OBVIOUSLY the final say in who's card is better than who's.

2) It OBVIOUSLY doesn't matter than Crossfire (and CrossfireX) scale better than SLi

3) The fact that nVidia can take one GPU and clock it at 14 different speeds over two series of cards while ATi actually has different GPUs in each series OBVIOUSLY means that nVidia is more creative and better technology.

Lol... fl4m1n l33t n00b p0wnx0r hax0r fanb0yz
!