Little help? Upgraded to P4 on an ASUS P4S800D but it wont boot!

dr0ct0pus

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
Hi all,

This is my first post so I'm a complete noob and I'm hoping someone can help me out with a little problem I'm having. I've upgraded my processor on my ASUS P4S800D from a 3.06Ghz Celeron to the P4 3Ghz L1 20kb L2 1MB 800MHz bus.

I put the new chip in (and I've had 2 -this has happened with both of them) turn on the system and I get nothing. No beeps, no BIOS screen, nada! I pop the Celeron back and it all fires up as normal.

I'm thinking I may need a BIOS update but (and you'll like this) I've got no floppy drive. I really dont want to start messing around with the BIOS from a bootable CD-R unless I'm sure its the cause of the problems, hence I've turned to you lovely people for some help.

What do you think? Thanks in advance :hello:

Wolfshadw

Titan
Well... I can't be certain of this, but it looks like the processor you have is the P4-3E (3GHz). It's the only 1MB L2 Cache processor I could find on Asus' site (scroll all the way to the bottom).

You'll note that it is only supported by PCB 1.03 and BIOS 1010. I'd check to make sure you have a motherboard that supports your processor. Here's where to look

-Wolf sends

Edit: Sorry. The link to Asus' web site doesn't work properly. From the dropdown, select Motherboard. Then select Socket 478. Then select your motherboard's model number (P4S800D) to get to the Compatible CPU listing.

dr0ct0pus

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
Thanks for your thoughts, people. Much appreciated. I think I'm just going to invest in a new mobo - I need an upgrade and I'd quite like to get something with decent HT support and PCI-Express rather than the AGP I've got now on the P4S800D.

Any recommendations for the P4 3.Ghz 800MHz Bus 20kL1/1MB L2?

Also, can anyone clarify, if I buy a new board, will I have to reinstall Windows?

Thanks again.

turtle1

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I agree with mi1ez, if you can go for a new mobo and proc... To answer your question, yes, if you replace the mobo you will have to reinstall windows. It may work without doing so but you will have issues.

The best chipset for the PGA478 was the 865PE. For that the best mobo was the P4C800-E Deluxe. I have a P4P800 Deluxe(845PE chipset) in my old rig and it was an awesome mobo, currently running a P4 EE 3.4GHz(got for $150 on Ebay). Only thing is I doubt you will find a PGA478 with PCI-Express support. That started with the 9xx series chipsets and LGA775.

If you do decide to upgrade you can try to not reinstall Windows but it normally can turn into a mess since there will be a chipset change and thats the main problem. So in most cases yes you will need to ureinstall Windwos. If its the same chipset then normally no you wont have to.

I suggest you save up and get a new LGA775, Core2 CPU and nice GPU. Will make a huge difference. Trust me. Even my Q6600 at the stock 2.4GHz could whomp my old P4EE 3.4GHz.

What is this "floppy" drive you speak of????

LMAO j/k. I dropped that with my newest comp as Vista doesn't need the drivers for a SATA RAID and if needed they can be pre loaded from a CD/DVD.