Thoughts on a couple of Asus P5K boards

ZeroAA

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
Hello,

I'm thinking of building a new system, and just wanted to some opinions on a couple of Asus boards; In particular, the P5K Premium and P5K-E/WIFI-AP. I have heard alot of compatibility issues with the Premium board, particularly with hard disks from WD, and I just wanted to know if these are still happening, or if Asus has sorted them out. I plan to build to build the system with a E8200 processor.

The P5K-E/WIFI-AP also looks good, and I have heard it has good overclocking ability. But, I'm just a little concerned over cooling, as it has lesser able cooling system then the Premium board. Any opinions would be very helpful.

Many Thanks.

Hello and welcome to the forums mate :
Go for P5K-E WIFI AP definitely, because it has the exact features of
P5K-DELUXe (with one less copper + one less gigabitlan) and its cheaper and it has a very good cooling (look @ the pictures of it )
its really the best price/performance member of P5K series
I have one and i absolutely love it, here is the sepcs:

Core2Duo E6600@3.2
ASUS P5KE- WIFI
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 500GB 16MB
OCZ VINDICATOR CPU COOLER
OCZ 4GB REAPER DDR2 800 4-4-4-15
OCZ 8800GTX @612/1080(=8800ULTRA)
OCZ PROXSTREAM 1000WAT
THERMALTAKE ARMOR CASE
LG M228WA MONITOR
XP 32 + SP3

FaceLifter

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Read the asus forums before buying a P5K from asus. I have a P5K deluxe/wifi and I've yet to hear someone that is NOT having problems with it. They have yet to release a working bios as well. I'm not trying to say that you should stay away from Asus, just that you should read up on their forums to find out what issues other people are having with any MOBO you are considering first.

Here is a list of issues that I'm having:

■Will not boot up with out restarting 3 times, in effect, to reset the bios...The funny thing is the bios doesn't reset.
■will not hibernate or sleep - I know these are common issues for people with many setups.
■Will not keep OC settings after start up
■Some minor USB issues...have to unplug and replug in my USB mouse every once in a while.

As a side note, having Wifi on the MOBO is great!!

phillyman36

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I have the p5k e wifi and havent had any problems with it. Im not overclocking and am not running any raid so i guess im running a simple config.,

eaglesfan

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

You have now heard from someone not having any problems with theirs.

Had mine for about 6 months now with no complaints at all.

ZeroAA

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I have done some research of my own, and I do agree that the P5K-E/WIFI is a very good board indeed. Alot of people have said the Premium has problems, but there are also some people who are using the board, that have had no problems at all. I just find it strange that Asus is not doing much to rectify the situation.

I think if I had to, I would probably take the P5K-E/WIFI, as I don't want to take the risk by getting a Premium, and then find that it doesn't work correctly.

Once again, thanks for your replies.