Computer displays TV but not LCD

BlackKnight

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2004
Hi all. Lately I’ve been having a fight with my computer over displaying itself on my LCD monitor. The problem has been, at best, inconsistent and downright strange.

First of all, my set-up is as follows:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600@2.4 (not overclocked)
Mobo: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
HDD: 300GB SATA drive (Seagate IRRC)
RAM: 2x1gb DDR2 800 (not overclocked
GPU: GeForce 7900GT 256mb PCIe 16x

The GPU outputs to my 19’ LCD monitor via the DVI connector AND to my 30 some inch TV via an S-Video cord (through the squid-like dongle that connects to the GPU).

What happens is when I start-up the computer cold, both the TV and the LCD output the 7900GT’s memory test. Then, when the computer goes to POST in Bios, the TV continues to display the computer posting and starting up but the LCD goes blank. It does not say that is not receiving a signal (like after a shut-down) but rather the green on/off light blinks steadily or the on/off light goes out completely (vs. during a normal-shut down when it simply goes to yellow).

The computer operates as if nothing has happened and goes to the log-in screen and subsequently into the Windows Desktop (running XP). I can see this all on the TV which is still displaying the output.

The problem is that I sort-of like my LCD screen and would much rather be able to read the text on my computer.

Here’s the kicker, though. Sometimes the LCD DOES continue to display. It’s basically a slot-machine with the reset button to see if the LCD will continue to display after the GPU memory test. Once the LCD displays and goes to Windows, everything works perfectly fine. I’ve had it running for multiple days with no problems whatsoever. The problem is when I have to shut-down and reboot the computer cold.

I’m here at school so I don’t have any spare parts (unfortunately) to test and so thus far my only solutions have been to unplug all peripherals except the keyboard (also unplugging the TV output) and see what happens. When I do this normally it does the same thing, memory test then blank. The computer is still going because I can log-in (even though I can’t see anything) and hear the computer going through a windows start-up.

I’ve also tried getting to windows on the TV and switching n-view settings to single display output for the LCD but this does nothing (and then I don’t even have the TV).

So I’m confused. Is this time for a new GPU or a Mobo or is there something that I’m not thinking of that could be causing/fixing this problem. Much thanks.

PsychoFanatic

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
hm
I'd say it would be your lcd but i can't be sure, thats really odd though hm
It'd be nice if you could test with a different LCD, do you have any friends that you could test it with?