Over current detected in USB Device

exentrick

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Hello,

I built my computer around October 06. Here is my build:e6600, Asus p5b deluxe, Antec 650W power supply, nvidia 7950 gx2, 2gb Corsair xms 1066, 320 gb western HD.

My computer was working fine yesterday, now, when I turn on the power, after the ASUS screen comes up, I get a screen that that says Over current detected in USB device. Shutting down in 15 seconds. Or something to that effect. it also says AMI on the screen. Additionally, my computer makes 1 beep right before this screen comes up. I looked that up and it said to try taking out the RAM and putting it back in. I'm nowhere near my computer right now, so I can't give that a shot yet. I have a feeling that won't work though, since i'm getting a screen about my USB devices. But, then again, my knowledge in this area is literally zero.

Any help is appreciated. And let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,

X

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I've seen this happen a ton of times on compaq and HP machines, but not often on home brews.

First, check and make sure all your usb devices are unplugged. If the messege isnt there, you've just engaged yourself in the scientific process of troubleshooting. :p

If it is, physically unplug the external connecters for the usb. They're the ones that go from the grey thick wires from the front of the case to the bottom right hand side of the mobo. If that works, then see which one it is if you have two (4) usb ports on the front of your case. If it's just one (2 ports) then I guess front side usb is out of the question.

If that doesnt work, go into bios and turn off Onboard USB support altogether. If that fixes it, then just grab a $20 usb pci card, and deal with broken onboard usb.

PS, I've never heard of ram doing that. But if it makes you feel better, I'd run memtest86. This may reveal problems if there are any with your mobo in the first place.

exentrick

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
I had already tried unplugging my front USB connectors (which I could never get to work anyway) and that didn't help. The only device I had plugged in to my USB ports was my keyboard, but I tried unplugging it and replacing it with an old ps/2 keyboard i had lying around and that didn't work. I didn't think of disabling the onboard usb ports though. I'll give that a shot when I get home. Thanks for the help.

X

I found this in some other forum, but it's an Asus mobo, so perhaps something sililar will fix the problem.

Hi abhoumick.

Got the same problem myself. For me, it was a GPU upgrade that prompted this error. I'm using an ASUS P5L-MX and upgraded my 7300GT 256MB video card to the 8800GT one. As soon as I came to the point when I had the card and power cables plugged I got this error. I couldn't find any solution to the problem since it occured after POST. It was so frustrating.

Fortunately enough here's the solution. The problem (at least in my case) was that my motherboard USB device lacked jumpers specifically in USBPW5678 (chek your motherboard documentation to get to the jumper location). As I said, I found the USB jumpers on the board and saw that the USBPW5678 had no jumper. Plugged a jumper and set it to pin 1-2 and restarted. That did it.

It booted all the way to Windows.

Hope that helps.

http://forums.pcworld.com/message/94070

exentrick

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
After looking through my user guide for my motherboard, I could only find one set of jumper pins. And, I'm not sure they are the right ones. Unfortunatly, my knowledge of motherboards is decidedly lacking, so I'm not really sure what I'm doing with regards to exactly what a jumper will do. Could someone elaborate a little more on this?

Also, after thinking this over, I realized that I had 2 mp3 players plus a USB keyboard and mouse hooked up to my computer prior to this error. I assume this is the cause of the over current error message. But I didn't have any problems until I had turned off my computer. Hopefully, this little bit of extra information can help one of you gurus figure this out.

Thanks again,

X