Sign in with
Your question

9800gtx in 3dmark 2006

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 26, 2008 10:28:38 PM

Taking this was a 9800gtx, am i the only one disappointed with the score?

PS: i actually dont take much credit from 3dmarks, but i surely was expecting a little more the geforce 8800 gtx sucessor

More about : 9800gtx 3dmark 2006

February 26, 2008 11:05:29 PM

Yeah I second that. In a word...underwhelming. :( 
February 26, 2008 11:10:51 PM

Does'nt look legitimate,GTX cards have 768mb of memory,unless Nvidia has reduced them?
Related resources
February 27, 2008 12:37:53 AM

Hmm my 8800GTS 512mb oc'ed beats that, what the heck.

I got SM2.0 - 6740
SM3.0 - 6407

whatever card they benchmarked will not beat a 8800gtx or 8800gts 512

FAKE

also isnt 675 exactly the stock clock on the 8800gts? I dont remember the stock shaders but they can be pushed to over 1900 easily. The memory on one can easily go to 1100

Either way giving it a fancy name will trick a lotta people
February 27, 2008 12:52:40 AM

nkarasch said:
Hmm my 8800GTS 512mb oc'ed beats that, what the heck.

I got SM2.0 - 6740
SM3.0 - 6407

whatever card they benchmarked will not beat a 8800gtx or 8800gts 512

FAKE

also isnt 675 exactly the stock clock on the 8800gts? I dont remember the stock shaders but they can be pushed to over 1900 easily. The memory on one can easily go to 1100

Either way giving it a fancy name will trick a lotta people

Those SM2.0/SM3.0 scores are influenced by the processor, its not like you can compare them with anything real. I wish 3DMark06 showed real world differences rather than scores that can't be madeup
February 27, 2008 1:19:40 AM

What do you all expect with these new cards.....the second coming............? I mean come on they are usually modest improvements but not like quadruple you score with the new GOD video card. Yes now you and all your friends can own the last video card you will ever need to own..............................................it slices, it dices, it even does your taxes.............
February 27, 2008 1:42:11 AM

Oh sorry for comparing SM2.0 and SM3.0 scores. For some reason I thought all of those tests were bottlenecked by the GPU and the CPU would not play much of a role.
February 27, 2008 5:14:36 AM

nkarasch said:
Oh sorry for comparing SM2.0 and SM3.0 scores. For some reason I thought all of those tests were bottlenecked by the GPU and the CPU would not play much of a role.

My SM2.0/SM3.0 are both just over 6000 points where yours are 700+ points high because you have a quad core, me have dual core. Wait a minute, what processor do you have and what speed?
February 27, 2008 5:22:23 AM

You'll have to wait to see how it scales in SLI if its anything like the 9600GT we can assume that the goal of this thing was to be used in SLI and tri-sli.
February 27, 2008 5:33:27 AM

Ashame its not dx10.1/sm4.1
February 27, 2008 8:12:16 AM

May I speak for most people and say screw SLI. Yeah it's great if you have a 19** x 12** or higher res 24" + sized monitor but I don't think "most" of us do so it's pretty pointless if you have anything less than that as the CPU starts to take more of the workload from the GPU(s). If these scores are real I'd say 8800GTS 512 would be the way to go even if you do use SLI they're still a great buy. I could see if the 9800GTX was ~$300 it'd be worth it if you wanted to use 3 of them since it's something you can't do with a G92 GTS, but that's still alot of power used and heat built up. I guess I shouldn't speak too soon since we don't have any final results but these 3DMark skills look pretty dim from all of our expectations. I was hoping it'd be something to budge me from my 8800GTS640, but so far I'm not impressed. Even the 3870x2 looks like it'd be a better deal.
February 27, 2008 10:23:45 AM

I sure hope Nvidia takes dual GPU single cards seriously, because Nvidia's CEO doesn't care much for multi-GPU cards. ATI is going multi-GPU big time so Nvidia better start getting their act together. I think the main reason ATI went dual GPU's is because one of their GPU's is no match for a single card from Nvidia.
February 27, 2008 10:26:14 AM

I just read an article that said the 9800GX2 will be the hottest, most power consuming, and heaviest card ever. I dunno if that's all true but I wouldn't doubt it.
February 27, 2008 10:26:14 AM

I didnt look up the article but maybe they are using a Pentium 3 or something? Maybe thats bottlenecking it.

oh and systemlord, I have a Q6600@3.6. Your dual would probably score about the same clocked that high I dont think 3dMark uses the other two cores much if at all but I might be wrong.
February 27, 2008 10:43:01 AM

nkarasch said:
I didnt look up the article but maybe they are using a Pentium 3 or something? Maybe thats bottlenecking it.

oh and systemlord, I have a Q6600@3.6. Your dual would probably score about the same clocked that high I dont think 3dMark uses the other two cores much if at all but I might be wrong.

I've seen alot of 3DMark06 scores to know that with SM2.0/SM3.0 scores like you have its gotta be a quad core overclocked. I assumed that you had a Q6600 without even thinking about it, I even went back to see if you even listed your processor. :D  You can never have too much processing power for graphics cards (triple SLI) , because if it shows up in benchmarks its got to show somewhere else.
February 27, 2008 10:47:09 AM

How much processing power do you think it'd take to NOT bottleneck Tri-SLI?
February 27, 2008 11:07:30 AM

Quote:
I sure hope Nvidia takes dual GPU single cards seriously, because Nvidia's CEO doesn't care much for multi-GPU cards.

Maybe if they had a decent design for their dual GPU cards he would be more open to it. I think one of his compaints was how much it cost to produce compared to the performance gain. Well, maybe if he didn't have to make 2 PCBs and a crazy cooling solution it would be more viable. It's as if they are doing it their way because they don't wan to be like ATI, even though it's a better layout.
February 27, 2008 7:57:40 PM

1 PCB sure is alot easier to watercool, that's for sure.
February 27, 2008 8:02:59 PM

I wonder if I can find those exact results on the Futuremark website.

Nope, thought not.
February 27, 2008 8:22:27 PM

T8RR8R said:
May I speak for most people and say screw SLI. Yeah it's great if you have a 19** x 12** or higher res 24" + sized monitor but I don't think "most" of us do so it's pretty pointless if you have anything less than that as the CPU starts to take more of the workload from the GPU(s). If these scores are real I'd say 8800GTS 512 would be the way to go even if you do use SLI they're still a great buy. I could see if the 9800GTX was ~$300 it'd be worth it if you wanted to use 3 of them since it's something you can't do with a G92 GTS, but that's still alot of power used and heat built up. I guess I shouldn't speak too soon since we don't have any final results but these 3DMark skills look pretty dim from all of our expectations. I was hoping it'd be something to budge me from my 8800GTS640, but so far I'm not impressed. Even the 3870x2 looks like it'd be a better deal.

No you may not.

PCHeck the scaling of preferably the 8800GT and 9600GT before you comment on how bad SLI is. What is it, like 70% average for 8800GT and 82% for 9600GT??

If you want ot run SLI in low res with no aa with stupid frames then complain about scaling like most newbs do then obviously its a waste.

Try switching on a bit of AA at low res then see how well it scales.
February 27, 2008 9:05:58 PM

Hatman said:
No you may not.

Snap
February 27, 2008 9:15:26 PM

caamsa said:
the new GOD video card.

AKA Chrome 400
February 27, 2008 9:34:20 PM

systemlord said:
I sure hope Nvidia takes dual GPU single cards seriously, because Nvidia's CEO doesn't care much for multi-GPU cards. ATI is going multi-GPU big time so Nvidia better start getting their act together. I think the main reason ATI went dual GPU's is because one of their GPU's is no match for a single card from Nvidia.

Wow, I feel like celebrating...someone else actually pays attention to the CEO jibber jabber. I find that statement very odd and it is a weird split now to have ATI going balls out with the x2 and NVidia saying it is crap. It sounds like they are playing the CYA^3 game for the investors since they are 0 and 1 at the moment with the dual PCB layout and it also sounds to me that they are not pleased with the 9 series x2 performance. I think they are down playing the x2 to try to focus attention away from it.

I think you are right about ATI...all they need now is a comparable GPU and they can get back in the race. On the flip side, NVidia is going single GPU because their dual PCB design is a joke compared to ATI's single PCB...not performance wise, but ingenuity wise.
February 27, 2008 10:14:41 PM

Noone can be sure that these screenshots are with a real 9800GTX. I can hack my 8800GTX's BIOS ID and make it appear as a 9800GTX or whatever. Then I can mod my forceware .inf to recognise the card and with a tiny overclock I can make these results. I don't think nVidia would sell such a low performing card as a 9800GTX. These results seem fake to me.

My (significantly overclocked) 8800GTX already makes SM2.0 : 6700marks and SM3.0:7200marks in windows vista and about 16300 total. I would expect the 9800GTX at stock clocks make at least 15000 with the 3870X2 already selling. I don't think nVidia are that stupid.

Not sure yet, but these results are probably fake.
February 27, 2008 11:04:29 PM

steffato said:
Noone can be sure that these screenshots are with a real 9800GTX. I can hack my 8800GTX's BIOS ID and make it appear as a 9800GTX or whatever. Then I can mod my forceware .inf to recognise the card and with a tiny overclock I can make these results. I don't think nVidia would sell such a low performing card as a 9800GTX. These results seem fake to me.

My (significantly overclocked) 8800GTX already makes SM2.0 : 6700marks and SM3.0:7200marks in windows vista and about 16300 total. I would expect the 9800GTX at stock clocks make at least 15000 with the 3870X2 already selling. I don't think nVidia are that stupid.

Not sure yet, but these results are probably fake.

Agree, never mind shader speeds and all that crap, the give away is the memory...

768MB 8800GTX = 512MB 9800GTX

No way will the successor to 8800gtx come with less memory, this has never been done before and they wont start now....

February 27, 2008 11:10:19 PM

I think all Nvidia is doing is shrinking the die from 90nm to 65nm to make a bigger profit, simply making more money on the same product.
February 27, 2008 11:14:12 PM

Hatman said:
No you may not.

PCHeck the scaling of preferably the 8800GT and 9600GT before you comment on how bad SLI is. What is it, like 70% average for 8800GT and 82% for 9600GT??

If you want ot run SLI in low res with no aa with stupid frames then complain about scaling like most newbs do then obviously its a waste.

Try switching on a bit of AA at low res then see how well it scales.

I wasn't talking about scaling. Just that alot of people won't bother with more than 1 GPU in a setup. Some people are too confused by it, some people just don't have the budget, and some people just don't want to do it period. Face it we're not all 16 getting funds from our parents to let us buy whatever we want, some of use have jobs and don't want to blow our money on products that'll end up being outpaced by something else in just a few short months. I'm not saying that SLI doesn't perform, just that it's not worth the price for most people.
February 28, 2008 4:31:54 AM

T8RR8R said:
I wasn't talking about scaling. Just that alot of people won't bother with more than 1 GPU in a setup. Some people are too confused by it, some people just don't have the budget, and some people just don't want to do it period. Face it we're not all 16 getting funds from our parents to let us buy whatever we want, some of use have jobs and don't want to blow our money on products that'll end up being outpaced by something else in just a few short months. I'm not saying that SLI doesn't perform, just that it's not worth the price for most people.

However those looking at 24" monitors almost have no choice but to go SLI, I'm even considering SLI since running games at 1900x1200 with one card can be a strain on your system.

@dos1986, I think Nvidia is lowering the memory from 768 to 512MB because theres very little difference between the two at what most people are play at resolution wise. Plus this will allow better pricing for all, I think Nvidia may have realized that 768MB of Vram may have been a little much for todays standards.
February 28, 2008 5:08:44 AM

Yeah I'd agree that if every game had Crysis kinds of requirements that we would all need something better than what's available from a single card right now. I will also say that once you start to get higher up in resolution that you'll no longer need AA or you'll only need it in very few circumstances. Therefore performance would increase a little on these higher end cards because AA would be off or very low most of the time.
February 28, 2008 9:08:21 AM

T8RR8R said:
Face it we're not all 16 getting funds from our parents to let us buy whatever we want, some of use have jobs and don't want to blow our money on products that'll end up being outpaced by something else in just a few short months. I'm not saying that SLI doesn't perform, just that it's not worth the price for most people.

Normally, I wouldn't buy that either, but I plan on using around $300 to $400 from the special tax rebate to get a 24" LCD. I was going to get a 20" next month, but I'll wait. We use our monitors as televisions anyways, with TV Wonder 650 cards, so 1920 x 1200 will work well for that, plus be ready for a Bluray drive when they drop in price.

Since I like the idea of a graphics card lasting 3 years, I plan on upgrading to a Crossfire board and a 45nm Phenom in the fall. The 4850's are reported as being clocked the same as my overclocked 3870x2 I got with part of the regular income tax return, and they'll only cost $249. So, it will be a decent CrossfireX system for a few years. It will only get upgraded when games force me to switch from high to medium settings, and framerates drop down to below 20 fps in CRPGs.

Yes, we aren't all 16 year olds with rich parents, but sometimes we can save up or there will be enough from a tax rebate to splurge on one good upgrade that will last 3 years. Not everyone who's an enthusiast gamer buys a new card every 6 months to one year just to have the latest.

I upgraded from a 405 chipset MSI board (same CPU) and a 7600gs and still have a 17" CRT. So, it's time to splurge this year!

February 28, 2008 9:42:14 AM

yipsl said:
Normally, I wouldn't buy that either, but I plan on using around $300 to $400 from the special tax rebate to get a 24" LCD. I was going to get a 20" next month, but I'll wait. We use our monitors as televisions anyways, with TV Wonder 650 cards, so 1920 x 1200 will work well for that, plus be ready for a Bluray drive when they drop in price.

Since I like the idea of a graphics card lasting 3 years, I plan on upgrading to a Crossfire board and a 45nm Phenom in the fall. The 4850's are reported as being clocked the same as my overclocked 3870x2 I got with part of the regular income tax return, and they'll only cost $249. So, it will be a decent CrossfireX system for a few years. It will only get upgraded when games force me to switch from high to medium settings, and framerates drop down to below 20 fps in CRPGs.

Yes, we aren't all 16 year olds with rich parents, but sometimes we can save up or there will be enough from a tax rebate to splurge on one good upgrade that will last 3 years. Not everyone who's an enthusiast gamer buys a new card every 6 months to one year just to have the latest.

I upgraded from a 405 chipset MSI board (same CPU) and a 7600gs and still have a 17" CRT. So, it's time to splurge this year!

I agree 100%, I'm only going to get what's really needed to play my newest favorite stuff on high when my current stuff doesn't do so hot on low. That's all that I'm really trying to get at. If you look at most of the cockier users on this forum you'll see that most of them are under 18 and don't have a clue about working for a living is.
February 28, 2008 9:58:22 PM

Im going off topic on my own topic, but i always find hilarious those threads that are named "what do you think about my low\med system" and when you click it, all you can see is the very best hardware around lol...
!