Java

July 31, 2005 5:46:24 PM

I recently had a problem with things being messed up on my XP home
installation so I installed a number of ant-ware stuff/spyware etc., and
that seemed to fix a lot of my problems.

However now my java doesn't work. So to try and fix that I uninstalled
anything I had regarding Java and then went to the Java site and installed
the latest version of Java. I even asked the Java site to tell me what
version I had installed (afterwards) and it said I had the latest version
available.

Than I tried running their little cartoon program they have on their site
and I found I couldn't run it. It seemed to want to run but never actually
came up (fully). But just sat there. I tried others and the same thing.
The Java application wants to run but just doesn't seem to have enough of
something to be able to run.

Any thoughts on my getting this to work again? And I don't want to format
my drive and rein-stall XP?? Grrrrrr.

More about : java

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 5:46:25 PM

Did you either
A. hold the CTRL key while doing the install , or
B. download the executable package?

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman
"Ted Gervais" <ve1drg@av.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
>I recently had a problem with things being messed up on my XP home
>installation so I installed a number of ant-ware stuff/spyware etc., and
>that seemed to fix a lot of my problems.
>
> However now my java doesn't work. So to try and fix that I uninstalled
> anything I had regarding Java and then went to the Java site and installed
> the latest version of Java. I even asked the Java site to tell me what
> version I had installed (afterwards) and it said I had the latest version
> available.
>
> Than I tried running their little cartoon program they have on their site
> and I found I couldn't run it. It seemed to want to run but never
> actually came up (fully). But just sat there. I tried others and the
> same thing. The Java application wants to run but just doesn't seem to
> have enough of something to be able to run.
>
> Any thoughts on my getting this to work again? And I don't want to format
> my drive and rein-stall XP?? Grrrrrr.

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 9:33:59 PM

Please do not double post in the same group..... I answered your first post
with a suggestion. Read that one.

Ted Gervais wrote:
> I recently had a problem with things being messed up on my XP home
> installation so I installed a number of ant-ware stuff/spyware etc.,
> and that seemed to fix a lot of my problems.
>
> However now my java doesn't work. So to try and fix that I
> uninstalled anything I had regarding Java and then went to the Java
> site and installed the latest version of Java. I even asked the Java
> site to tell me what version I had installed (afterwards) and it said
> I had the latest version available.
>
> Than I tried running their little cartoon program they have on their
> site and I found I couldn't run it. It seemed to want to run but
> never actually came up (fully). But just sat there. I tried others
> and the same thing. The Java application wants to run but just
> doesn't seem to have enough of something to be able to run.
>
> Any thoughts on my getting this to work again? And I don't want to
> format my drive and rein-stall XP?? Grrrrrr.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:17:51 PM

Sorry about the double post. I didn't think the first message went out but
I see now that it did. Sorry again for any confusion, and also thanks for
the help. It is certainly appreciated.

"Terra Prime" <somebody@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Please do not double post in the same group..... I answered your first
> post with a suggestion. Read that one.
>
> Ted Gervais wrote:
>> I recently had a problem with things being messed up on my XP home
>> installation so I installed a number of ant-ware stuff/spyware etc.,
>> and that seemed to fix a lot of my problems.
>>
>> However now my java doesn't work. So to try and fix that I
>> uninstalled anything I had regarding Java and then went to the Java
>> site and installed the latest version of Java. I even asked the Java
>> site to tell me what version I had installed (afterwards) and it said
>> I had the latest version available.
>>
>> Than I tried running their little cartoon program they have on their
>> site and I found I couldn't run it. It seemed to want to run but
>> never actually came up (fully). But just sat there. I tried others
>> and the same thing. The Java application wants to run but just
>> doesn't seem to have enough of something to be able to run.
>>
>> Any thoughts on my getting this to work again? And I don't want to
>> format my drive and rein-stall XP?? Grrrrrr.

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 9:08:00 PM

What do you mean? "hold the CTRL key while doing the install (what
install??)
or download the executable package? ( What package??)

Please tell me more please..

"Manny Borges" <manny_borges@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Did you either
> A. hold the CTRL key while doing the install , or
> B. download the executable package?
>
> --
> Manny Borges
> MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)
> MCT, Certified Cheese Master
>
> The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
> -- Marty Feldman
> "Ted Gervais" <ve1drg@av.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
>>I recently had a problem with things being messed up on my XP home
>>installation so I installed a number of ant-ware stuff/spyware etc., and
>>that seemed to fix a lot of my problems.
>>
>> However now my java doesn't work. So to try and fix that I uninstalled
>> anything I had regarding Java and then went to the Java site and
>> installed the latest version of Java. I even asked the Java site to tell
>> me what version I had installed (afterwards) and it said I had the latest
>> version available.
>>
>> Than I tried running their little cartoon program they have on their site
>> and I found I couldn't run it. It seemed to want to run but never
>> actually came up (fully). But just sat there. I tried others and the
>> same thing. The Java application wants to run but just doesn't seem to
>> have enough of something to be able to run.
>>
>> Any thoughts on my getting this to work again? And I don't want to
>> format my drive and rein-stall XP?? Grrrrrr.

August 4, 2005 9:56:47 AM

I have learned a lot as a lurker, but maybe I can help this time. If you
installed Spy Seeker, it is messing up your host file, and I had the same
problem as you. Go to explore, Windows, System32, Drivers, etc, and open the
host file with notepad. The only thing that should be in there is the local
host. Delete anything else, and your java will work. Spy Seeker was adding a
lot to this file, every time I would open it up, and needless to say it is
uninstalled! Hope this helps.
Laura

!