Sign in with
Your question

HELP! - Western Digital 320Gb with something like sand inside

Last response: in Storage
March 19, 2009 8:22:11 AM

hi!

today I remounted my hd in my pc, after being a while ou of home..

taking it in my hands, i noticed a noise like there is a bit of sand inside if I move it..

is it normal???
this Hd has just two months of life..

exactly, it's the WD3200AAKS model...

please help me cos I'm quite in trouble, having never heard something like that inside an hd...

thank you!
March 19, 2009 9:04:45 AM

as long as the hdd is doing what it is supposed to,don't worry,you could get WD's hdd software and test the hdd,or take it to your nearest computer store [where you may have purchased it ??] ,,because,,and unless the manufacturers software gives an error report,,,,,,,,,...:) 
March 19, 2009 9:15:00 AM

the hd is behaving normally..
but I fear that, if this isn't a commont sound you get moving an hd, that something could go bad..
something inside is moving, that's clear..and it seems like sand or dust or anything else..
so maybe TODAY is ok...but if tomorrow this dust go in a place that could harm?

basically, I'd like to know if someone exprencied the same, cos it's really a weird issue!

btw, I purchased online, so RMA (but I cannot since it's working) or nothing...

many thanks!
March 19, 2009 1:24:23 PM

here I uploaded a lil' video to let you undertand what's the noise like..
March 27, 2009 3:42:13 PM

wow... i personally have never heard that..... has anyone else? interesting. ..bad?..
April 1, 2009 4:22:53 AM

Well that drive is a Desktop drive 3.5 right?

Well i know some laptop hdd platters are made of glass, so sometimes it sounds like that when a platter has shattered.... :ouch: 

But that is weird it is still working. And i don't think they make desktop hdd's out of glass usually, but then i couldn't say for sure.

I would back everything up immediately...maybe run a HDD test on it like the WD test and MHDD

and maybe as a preliminary test you could test the SMART status to see something right off the bat with Crystal Disk Info...

some ideas
a b G Storage
April 1, 2009 4:34:41 AM

I had that exact model of HD. I never heard anything like that. I would RMA it, even if it is still working.
a b G Storage
April 1, 2009 11:08:42 PM

yoyo1234 said:
Well that drive is a Desktop drive 3.5 right?

Well i know some laptop hdd platters are made of glass, so sometimes it sounds like that when a platter has shattered.... :ouch: 

But that is weird it is still working. And i don't think they make desktop hdd's out of glass usually, but then i couldn't say for sure.

I would back everything up immediately...maybe run a HDD test on it like the WD test and MHDD

and maybe as a preliminary test you could test the SMART status to see something right off the bat with Crystal Disk Info...

some ideas

First, they never are made of glass, no matter what you've heard.

Second, I don't think that you have anything to worry about, as long as it is working. If it really worries you, you can RMA it, but I wouldn't be too concerned. If there's actually any significant loose material in the drive, it would have already failed.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 25, 2010 10:36:34 PM

I know this thread is old but anyways

I have same problem with one exception my HDD is 160GB and it actually had some spinout problems, it works as a 4x160GB RAID 0 and it's number 3 which first had some real spinout problems and now sometimes it don't even start. My raid controller don't recognize any problems with it which is odd because my old configuration with two other hdd in raid had problems when a bad sector appeared on one of them it was like hell break loose, it was all red in any tests. Now controller says that everything is OK but hdd don't start sometimes. I was like thinking what that noise can be and i have no idea. It sound like very thin sand grains and it's nothing usual cos other 3 hdd don't have such a problem with starting and sand noise. Just RMA it
!