PC Fails during POST Memory Test

JamesMcArthur

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Well, I just built a new computer about a month ago. Been my first build in a couple of years.

Everything seemed to be going fine, it booted up - I got my Q6600 to 3.2 GHz stable on air with stock voltage. I got done playing Crysis one day, was using the PC for an hour or so... and I got a BSOD. The computer shut down, and started the POST Memory test - then rebooted every time it hit ~ 2.29GB. I cancel the memory test, and Windows boots correctly. It also Passes Prime95's stress test.

I figured the third stick of RAM was bad, so I took it out. Same problem. I tried each memory stick alone in the first slot, and they passed the memory test and also Prime95s stress test.

This struck me as odd, so I started adding more sticks. Two sticks worked correctly, three messed up. I thought the third stick was bad. I tried the extra stick and had the same problem. Trying 3 sticks in any bay configuration (first, second, third, or last empty) results in the memory test rebooting the PC. I'm typing right now on this PC with Vista recognizing the normal ~3.1GB of memory. I tried a few memory testing programs that run through Windows and none seem to be finding any issues.

Resetting the CMOS to fresh settings doesn't seem to help. I overclocked the processor, but I kept the RAM at 2.2V @ DDR2800. Please advise :)

System:

Q6600
4GB Crucial Ballstix Tracer
Abit IP350Pro
EVGA 8800GTX
Kingwin 650W PSU (I know it's not great, but everything seems to be fine with it so far)
Tsunami Dream

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
What is the memory exactly? Do you have 4x1GB, 2x2GB, or (2x1GB + 2GB)? You mentioned about third stick, so I assume you have 4x1GB or 2x1GB+2GB.

What about this crucial memory? Is the stock voltage is 2.2V?

And what is the timing? Are you setting the timing at stock?

Personally I don't like three slot configurations, although many people do this without a problem. With three slots it means we lose the dual memory advantage. Although I learned that Intel somehow have this 'mixed' channel support on P35 chipsets, but still I don't feel like the 3 slots.

However, it supposed to work. The only thing that you should pay attention is the timing and voltage. In more than 2 slots configuration, it's known that in some occasion we have to adjust the voltage and/or the timing a little bit from the stock setting to have a stable system. This is the reason why I'm asking for a specific information about your RAM.

cheers :)

JamesMcArthur

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Hey, thanks for the reply!

I have 4x1GB. Right now the timings are where the motherboard set them (5-5-5-18).

The stock voltage is 2.2v, and the timings are 4-4-4-12. I had the RAM set at that when it failed. Right now my motherboard has it set to 1.8V with 5-5-5-18. It will fail the memory test under either setting, though.