Sign in with
Your question

New Build For First Timer, Troubles with PSU also.

Last response: in Systems
February 19, 2008 3:02:19 AM

HD - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KSRTL 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Retail
MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Retail
Graphics Card - DIAMOND Viper 3870PE4512SB Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
PSU - Antec NeoPower 550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply - Retail
CD DRIVE - SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S203N - OEM
RAM - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804 - Retail
CASE - Antec 900

Hi, guys I'm new to the forums and have been browsing quite a lot. I'm a first time builder and tried it out, but ran into some problems.

I purchased all the parts from New Egg already and they all seem to work and they are all assembled. However I encountered a problem with my PSU. When I plugged it in to power my computer, all the LED's in my case turned on and flickered as did the fans. They would run for 2 seconds then stop, I quickly unplugged it and tried again and it will no longer work.

My PSU didn't sound fried or didn't have any suspicious smells it just doesn't work!

Is my PSU defective? Is there anything I can do to fix it, if it is not? And is my build quality and decent?
February 19, 2008 3:11:45 AM

Is any part of the motherboard shorting against the case? Are all the standoffs securely screwed in?
February 19, 2008 3:32:16 AM

I don't believe that the MOBO is shorting against the case. There are these gold plated things that I screwed them into which are about 1/8 of an inch from the case. I just tried again taking everything out and putting it back in and still doesn't work. What are the stand offs?
Related resources
February 19, 2008 9:22:21 AM

Do you have a voltmeter? You can check the PSU if you do. Do you have another PSU?
February 19, 2008 6:16:46 PM

Nope I don't have a voltmeter, I don't have another PSU. I can, however, return the one I have to newegg and either get a new one or refund my money.
February 19, 2008 6:32:35 PM

befor returning the PSU, im not going to pretend i can tell you how to fix this issue like other on here. this isnt going to be a hunt and choose and try to get you to jump threw hoops. if the mobo was grounded out on your case you would be shocked on start up. so unless you where shcoked lets rule that out. A voltmeter would be great, but i guess my question would be have you used one befor? a volt meter can put a curent back threw your computer if you hit ohms and not volts.
I would say its something you have overlooked, but you stated you have taken the system apart and put back together again. hopefuly the mobo wasnt DoA and keep your fingers crossed its just something you over looked.

i would try this

1) take it to a local shop and have them check the rail make sure the proper voltage is being issued.

2) call the company who makes the PSU and see if they can help you trouble shoot this problem

3) Is when you will want to call newegg about a exchange.

February 19, 2008 7:26:24 PM

I don't think the MOBO has problems, although, I really don't know what to look for when powering the MOBO and the PSU. I had the psu connected to the ATX pin and the CPU and nothing happens. (This was before the PSU stopped working) I don't have a voltmeter but I do have a multi-meter. Not really sure how to use it though! Also I didn't get shocked by the MOBO or any of the pieces while putting it together I used an anti-static wrist strap grounded to the back metal part of my computer case.
February 19, 2008 7:27:12 PM

Do an out of the box build, put one of each item onto the motherboard, cpu, fan cooler, one stick ram, video card, and hard drive, with it on the plastic bag that it came in.
Connect the monitor, mouse and keyboard.
Connect the 2 power cables to the motherboard(MB).
Connect the power connection to your video card.
For a brief moment make contact with the power sw header.
If you can then get into the bios you are ok.
All you need to do is put the stuff back into your case, be sure that all stand offs are in the correct positions for mounting your MB and align with the holes in the MB.

If it still does not stay on, keep all the parts on the MB, but remove the cpu, if it still turns on and then goes off in 2 seconds your motherboard most likely is bad.

Rattus Viola: Sino non they quisnam operor non have scientia futurus vestri rector.
February 19, 2008 7:29:09 PM

is the wrist strap supposed to be attatched to the metal case??? that seems a liottle suspicious to me tbth
February 19, 2008 7:38:38 PM

Ok, maybe I missed this somewhere, but what CPU are you using? I didn't see anything listed above. Please forgive me if I missed it, but if you don't have any CPU at all (or don't have your HSF plugged in) it's not going to do anything.
February 19, 2008 7:41:27 PM

A multimeter will work. Disconnect the PSU from the board, including the 4 pin CPU power, just leave your DVD drive plugged in. With a paper clip, connect pins 3 & 4(green & black).Set the meter to 20VDC. Plug in the PSU, if the fan spins you can start checking for voltages. Touch the black lead of the meter to a black wire in the plug and the red to any other color(s) and you should see various values for voltage 3, 5, 12, ect.
February 20, 2008 3:21:26 AM

chuckm said:
A multimeter will work. Disconnect the PSU from the board, including the 4 pin CPU power, just leave your DVD drive plugged in. With a paper clip, connect pins 3 & 4(green & black).Set the meter to 20VDC. Plug in the PSU, if the fan spins you can start checking for voltages. Touch the black lead of the meter to a black wire in the plug and the red to any other color(s) and you should see various values for voltage 3, 5, 12, ect.

he said he didnt have a meter. unless he wants to go buy one wich IMO each household should have one. he said the lights on the mobo start to blink then turn off with the system? i read a page on one of the other sites of a power button on a computer tower being bad. they would hit the button, it would start to power up then bang.... no power. Maybe?? i dont know.

i guess doing an out of case build will find this out, also if he had an ohm meter he could check the button. maybe a short? when it comes to power in a system ( i know this with working on AC and heaters ) you have to start in one spot and keep going forward. all i can say is good luck!
February 20, 2008 3:23:48 AM

sweetfeek said:
I don't have a voltmeter but I do have a multi-meter. Not really sure how to use it though! Also I didn't get shocked by the MOBO or any of the pieces while putting it together I used an anti-static wrist strap grounded to the back metal part of my computer case.

Yes, he does!
February 20, 2008 2:31:57 PM

He still hasn't responded to whether or not he's even got a CPU in there. I still haven't seen one listed anywhere in the thread or in his build. I guess that doesn't matter though... right? :rolleyes:
!