Q9300/EVGA 708i Overclocking

G

Hello all i would first off like to say that i am new to the tom's forum community. So i am going to pat my self on the back for that one. Anyways, i have a EVGA 780i and a Intel q9300; i am intrested in overclocking the processor, i have a aftermarket heatsink, ive laped my processor and have plenty of case-cooling. So, Anyways to contine on i was browsing throught the bios and stumbled upon the cpu freq. settings, usually they have the multiplier in there, fsb all that jazz that you can adjust. Well that was all there; fine and dandy, but when i go to change the freq. of the processor the multiplier seems to not change. The multiplier seems to be stuck as 7.5x. I've tried everything! Is this a known issue, if so is their a easy fix? if not is their a way to use 3rd party software to achive the same goal. Any input would be helpful! thanks for looking guys.

Thanks,
Fugitive
AKA
Richard

faster3200

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Well 7.5 is the max multi for that cpu, so don't expect it to change. If you are trying to decrease the multi then it is odd it won't go down, but I don't know why you would want to decrease it.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
yea what faster said

The Q9300 is at 7.5 and can only go down to 6 (only extreme goes up)

Use Bios (not software) OCing because its easier and setting voltages manually is more efficient and produces less heat

Edit: k prob. not easier but Bios OCing is more accurate especially w/ voltages

G

So i just need to adjust the voltage is all?

ill look around for a guide, but if you know of any good links of this topic that wouldn't hurt. i don't know why i was trying to change the multiplier, im new to overclocking and trying to figure this all out. thanks for all the help.

faster3200

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Here is a guide, it is one of the forum stickies. You can also read most of the other threads if don't want to read all of that. I know I have personally answered that question at least 5 times today.

I hope that didn't sound bitter but it is a fairly commonly asked question.