Sign in with
Your question

Transfer a Dell C521 hard drive to a custom built system possible?

Last response: in Storage
March 19, 2009 9:35:30 PM

I want to build a new PC, can I use/transfer the old hard drive with XP installed from DELL pc to a new pc without reinstalling everything? I have both DELL specific XP disc and a standard XP disc. Thanks for the help in advanced.
a b G Storage
March 19, 2009 9:53:50 PM

Not if you change the mobo. Dell tailors their drivers and OS discs to their hardware. If you change the mobo, it wont recognize the HD until you format and reinstall windows with a retail copy (the Dell xp disc is a restore disc, not a full OS).
March 19, 2009 10:32:24 PM

Ok, how about repairing the previous Dell XP installation with a retail version (booting with retail xp cd and not with the dell xp cd) on the new system, would that remove the mobo lock?

I want to avoid reinstalling windows XP if possible, so many programs, service packs etc etc to be reinstalled if I do go the the format and clean install route.
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 19, 2009 10:53:46 PM

It's sometimes possible to repair the current installation. However, I would recommend backing up your important data and doing a fresh format. It helps clean out old drivers, clean up the disc space, and clean out any cobwebs that are in there.
March 19, 2009 11:04:22 PM

aford10 said:
It's sometimes possible to repair the current installation. However, I would recommend backing up your important data and doing a fresh format. It helps clean out old drivers, clean up the disc space, and clean out any cobwebs that are in there.

Yes yes. Always better to reinstall, otherwise you're setting yourself up for lockups and the dreaded BSOD. Just backup your important files and prepare to reinstall all other programs/drivers.
March 19, 2009 11:07:53 PM

Thanks for the help, question answered.
!