ttot - website name advice

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 2, 2004 3:30:24 AM

Hi

I know there are a few techy people in here, so figured I'd ask this
question of unbiased people who will give a straight answer.

I live in the UK within a borough called Oldham.

Although I live some miles away from the town centre, this is where my local
taxes (as opposed to taxis) go - over £120 per month.

The people who run this place have been assessed by our national assessment
body as "failing" for several years on the trot and they basically stink big
time.

I want to set up a website called "www.oldhamcouncil.co.uk" and just put
unbiased news up about the goings on there - from marginal planning
applications to the latest fiasco - postal voting where a large section of
the outlying communities have not had their ballots less than one working
week away from an election(!)

Would you lot think this title is pushing it a bit - the official domain is
www.oldham.gov.uk - there are other domains registered like
www.myoldham.co.uk etc. I was thinking about a court case I read about
recently where a guy put a site up in the name of a company and was backed
up by the courts because he only posted factual info and did not attempt to
mislead anyone?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to ask you peeps first.

Regards

Schrodinger

More about : ttot website advice

Anonymous
June 2, 2004 6:33:18 PM

Schrodinger wrote:
> Hi
<snip>

You say the site will have unbiased news, but then you use words like
"marginal" and "latest fiasco". In America, this would be the "Fox News
Channel." They describe themselves as Fair and Balanced, but they are
like every other news outlet with an agenda. They are critical of one
political party, but feel that their own party's poop don't stink.

Now, in my opinion, it is OK to be biased and comment on the happenings
in your community as long as you are factual on what was said and done
by those about whom you will comment. Be up front about what you are
doing. Editorializing is valuable. It lets people speak out about how
they feel and allows them to predict what the impact of
events/activities/legislation will be. It gives the powers that be
feedback as to the satisfaction the author has with them.

If you avoid liable, then I don't see what the problem is. (Those in
the power positions may not like it, but tough noogies.)

That's my $0.02 worth, hope that helps.

--
ClayPidgeon
Anonymous

"Schrodinger" <youllhavetoask@meforit.com> wrote in message
> Hi

<snip>

If you are posting just factful information there is no problem and the
province cannot sue you for the domain... They can try but wouldn't win out
with the ICANN arbitrators. If you do post any non-factual information I'd
change the domain name.

Icy
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 3, 2004 2:32:42 AM

"MarkandBrian.net" <bmonson@ncn.com> wrote in message
> Schrodinger wrote:
> > Hi
> <snip>
>
> You say the site will have unbiased news, but then you use words like
> "marginal" and "latest fiasco". In America, this would be the "Fox News
> Channel." They describe themselves as Fair and Balanced, but they are
> like every other news outlet with an agenda. They are critical of one
> political party, but feel that their own party's poop don't stink.
>
> Now, in my opinion, it is OK to be biased and comment on the happenings
> in your community as long as you are factual on what was said and done
> by those about whom you will comment. Be up front about what you are
> doing. Editorializing is valuable. It lets people speak out about how
> they feel and allows them to predict what the impact of
> events/activities/legislation will be. It gives the powers that be
> feedback as to the satisfaction the author has with them.
>
> If you avoid liable, then I don't see what the problem is. (Those in
> the power positions may not like it, but tough noogies.)
>
> That's my $0.02 worth, hope that helps.
>
> --
> ClayPidgeon

Thanks all for the replies - I'll take a bit from each and register
Oldhamcouncil and Oldhamcounsel !

I'll post up here for interest when I've done it.

Regards

Schro
June 3, 2004 3:17:12 AM

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 22:32:42 +0000 (UTC), "Schrodinger" <youllhavetoask@meforit.com> wrote:

> Thanks all for the replies - I'll take a bit from each and register
> Oldhamcouncil and Oldhamcounsel !

Are you going to register Oldhamsandwich while you're at it? :)

--
Troy
Anonymous

Schrodinger wrote:
> Hi
> [snip]
> I want to set up a website called "www.oldhamcouncil.co.uk" and just put
> unbiased news up about the goings on there - from marginal planning
> applications to the latest fiasco - postal voting where a large section of
> the outlying communities have not had their ballots less than one working
> week away from an election(!)

Posit it to them. If they object, just register
http://www.oldhamcounsel.co.uk/, which is more accurate anyway. :-)

Main Entry: 2counsel
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -seled or -selled; -sel·ing or coun·sel·ling
/-s(&-)li[ng]/
transitive senses : ADVISE <counseled them to avoid rash actions --
George Orwell>
intransitive senses : CONSULT <counseled with her husband>

> Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to ask you peeps first.

No problem. My brain just seized up at the sheer immensity of it. No
problem though; as I unseized hours later, I no longer had to pee, or
anything, and as such, am in your debt (as well as being in some other
things).
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 12:53:03 PM

Troy wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 22:32:42 +0000 (UTC), "Schrodinger" <youllhavetoask@meforit.com> wrote:
>

>>Thanks all for the replies - I'll take a bit from each and register
>>Oldhamcouncil and Oldhamcounsel !
>

> Are you going to register Oldhamsandwich while you're at it? :)

and Oldhamandeggs?
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 9:00:13 PM

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 08:53:03 -0700, MarkandBrian.net wrote:

> and Oldhamandeggs?

I'm just amazed that Oldham has the internet.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

"Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 08:53:03 -0700, MarkandBrian.net wrote:
>
> > and Oldhamandeggs?
>
> I'm just amazed that Oldham has the internet.
>
> --
> "A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
> R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

Why - did you think people from Bolton would have stolen it by now?
June 4, 2004 2:25:53 AM

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 18:33:48 +0000 (UTC), "Schrodinger" <youllhavetoask@meforit.com> wrote:

> "Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 08:53:03 -0700, MarkandBrian.net wrote:
> >
> > > and Oldhamandeggs?
> >
> > I'm just amazed that Oldham has the internet.
> >
> > --
> > "A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
> > R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
>
> Why - did you think people from Bolton would have stolen it by now?

Well, that Michael sure looks shady sometimes.

--
Troy
June 4, 2004 4:07:36 AM

Schrodinger wrote:
> Hi
>
> I know there are a few techy people in here, so figured I'd ask this
> question of unbiased people who will give a straight answer.
>
> I live in the UK within a borough called Oldham.
>
> Although I live some miles away from the town centre,

This where my mind drifted off. I see you as a more-studdly
Simon Cowell, with a kick-ass-cool accent, living in a dream of
a little town.

You own any black T-shirts?

--
>^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 1:39:56 PM

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 22:25:53 -0700, Troy wrote:

>> Why - did you think people from Bolton would have stolen it by now?

Bolton != Liverpool. ;)

Btw, is the BTi news server behaving? I've had to use Troy's post to
reply. :(

> Well, that Michael sure looks shady sometimes.

Who?

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 1:41:07 PM

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 00:07:36 -0700, >^,,^< Miracle wrote:

> This where my mind drifted off. I see you as a more-studdly
> Simon Cowell, with a kick-ass-cool accent, living in a dream of
> a little town.

.... wi'thatched roofs too? ;)

> You own any black T-shirts?

Uh oh... she's off again.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
June 5, 2004 2:59:56 AM

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:39:56 +0100, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Well, that Michael sure looks shady sometimes.
>
> Who?

It was a *really* bad Bolton joke.

Michael. . .Bolton. . .

Never mind. I'll go back to waiting for the next Weebl and Bob.

--
Troy
Anonymous

"Schrodinger" <youllhavetoask@meforit.com> wrote in

> I want to set up a website called "www.oldhamcouncil.co.uk" and just
> put unbiased news up about the goings on there - from marginal
> planning applications to the latest fiasco - postal voting where a
> large section of the outlying communities have not had their ballots
> less than one working week away from an election(!)

Pretend you're a newspaper and choose a name like that. Something that
sounds 4th estate, like Sentinel or News, or somesuch. Or you could be the
oldhamcurmudgeon. ;)
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 11:17:29 PM

"Troy" <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:39:56 +0100, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Well, that Michael sure looks shady sometimes.
> >
> > Who?
>
> It was a *really* bad Bolton joke.
>
> Michael. . .Bolton. . .
>
> Never mind. I'll go back to waiting for the next Weebl and Bob.
>
> --
> Troy

appreaciated the joke. i thought it was clever.

because i was born without a sense of humour.
!