Your question

Best mb for Q9450?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Graphics Cards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
April 8, 2008 12:37:52 PM

I'd appreciate some recommendations for a MB for a Q9450. Here are some of the details about the system
--will be used for genl business stuff and video trancoding (hence my desire for a quad). No games, really.
--would like to try to OC to 3.0 or 3.2
--will use a nvidia quadro mvs 285 graphics card for 2 1920x1200 displays (2d graphics only). (PCI x16)
--will have some big disks for video rather than trusting the onboard raid, I might get something like the areca 1220 (PCIe x8), so would like to have another PCIe slot that can do at least x8

I assume from that last desire I probably want an x38 or x48. With the 2 PCIe x16 slots you get with those, can one be used for a non-graphics card like the areca, or are those slots restricted to dual graphics cards?

Thanks for your advice!

More about : q9450

April 8, 2008 1:41:07 PM

Gigabyte P35-DS4 or P35-DS3P. Anything more is overkill. Both will easily overclock where you would like (3.0-3.2, 375-400 FSB), and have an additional PCIe x16 slot for your future RAID controller.

Edit: or the EP35-DS3P/DS4, same model with the energy saver functions. All the boards I've mentioned are x16/x4 on the two PCIe slots, so if you're really concerned about bandwidth limitations you could go with the X38-DS4 and get x16/x16. Honestly, I don't think it will bottleneck your RAID system unless you have a bunch of 10000 rpm drives or SSDs.
April 8, 2008 2:27:05 PM

Well, we don't know what your budget is. These may be overkill, but I like a little overkill in my mobos. I prefer Asus not only because they make a nice product but the plethora of features they offer are easily accessible and logically laid out (ie, the bios). So these would be my picks (in order of desire):

1: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Are they overkill? Probably, but again, you may WANT overkill.
Related resources
April 8, 2008 3:33:43 PM

I like overkill, and that Rampage looks nice, esp. since it doesnt' need ddr3 ram (which is where overkill does start to get excessive for me).

However, thinking it through, maybe building a huge raid on this box is not the best idea for me. If I drop the need for a send PCIe x16 (and KyleSTL is right, even an x4 slot would be plenty for a controller card), would I still want to look at x38 or x48 for the Northbridge. That is, if I dont need dual PCIe x16 slots, is there still a reason to prefer x38 or x48 to get the most out of the quad core cpu? Because the multiplier is 8, I want to get at least 400mhz from the fsb so I can OC to 3.2.

Thanks very much for your quick response and suggestions.
April 8, 2008 5:25:53 PM

A Gigabyte P35-DS3L would do wonders if you drop the need for the second PCIe slot. Almost any P35-based board can do FSB1600, even if it's not certified like the X48. IMHO this should be the board for you. The value is not there at all in going for an X38/X48 solution.
April 8, 2008 6:50:26 PM

I support ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA

It has amazing OC capabilities in addition to the support of DDR2

April 8, 2008 8:00:38 PM

I think you two are suggesting it to him for the wrong reasons: living vicariously and wants, not warranted needs (which the DS3L would easily fulfill). 'OC capabilities' is not a reason to suggest this as he's doing a moderate overclock, not one that requires the creme-de-la-creme motherboard you're telling him to buy. Any P35/X38/X48 motherboard can do FSB1600, which is exactly what he is looking for.

The question is: will buying a motherboard for twice as much have any effect on his level of computer use? Answer: all other components being equal: no (other than epeen points).
April 8, 2008 10:56:23 PM

P35 runs at 1333mhz fsb natively, can reliably oc to 1600mhz. X38 runs at 1600mhz fsb natively, can reliably oc to 2000+mhz.

Q9450 have 8x multiplier. 1600mhz fsb = 4x400mhz ->8x400mhz = 3.2ghz for Q9450.

P35 boards' overclocking ability vary from different models and brands, pick a higher end one with good reviews. X38 boards' overclocking ability do not vary, pick the cheapest one for best bang for the buck.

This is the one I use, Q6600@4.0ghz prime95 stable, tuned back to 3.6ghz for day to day operation.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
April 9, 2008 12:44:02 AM

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the varied opinions. I've built a bunch a Pentium systems with Asus mb's (and one Supermicro), but I'll certainly check out the Gigabyte's too.

One other consideration. I'm getting an oem cpu, so I'll need to buy a heatsink (and there is a whole forum on that to research!). But another question is, do any of the mb's you guys mentioned have constraints as to which heatsinks fit?
April 9, 2008 12:17:42 PM

chavey said:
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the varied opinions. I've built a bunch a Pentium systems with Asus mb's (and one Supermicro), but I'll certainly check out the Gigabyte's too.

One other consideration. I'm getting an oem cpu, so I'll need to buy a heatsink (and there is a whole forum on that to research!). But another question is, do any of the mb's you guys mentioned have constraints as to which heatsinks fit?

They should all fit, in term of sizes. Although if the cooler has its own backplate that's necessary for installation, and the motherboard has a cpu socket backplate too, they won't both fit.
April 9, 2008 2:50:03 PM

chavey said:
I'm getting an oem cpu, so I'll need to buy a heatsink

My suggestions:
Xigmatek S1263
Xigmatek S963
Scythe Ninja
Thermalright Ultra 120 (and Ultra 120 Extreme)
April 9, 2008 10:11:08 PM

Hey guys, thanks very much for your help! I know there are a lot of "what's the best mb for X" threads. Your info was extremely useful.
!