Sign in with
Your question

Frozen xp safe mode at gernuwa cant get to logon need help

Last response: in Windows XP
July 13, 2010 5:59:47 PM

help,
I cant get safe mode to go past gernuwa.sys, what can i do? I'm frozen there. I un plug the computer and try to restart and the following occurs; Checking file system on C: etc, I ran it 3 times, and it completes, but stays frozen.
thanks, for any suggetions.
Maui
July 13, 2010 10:47:25 PM

The best way to deal with that is to use a second computer. Install your bad drive as a second drive in the working computer.
Use the working computer to drag your personal files off the bad drive and make a back up on the good computer, copy to CD, DVD, thumb drive, or online backup service.

If the good computer has anti virus, you can scan and possibly repair the bad drive.

If you can't get the bad drive repaired, you can always reformat it and re-install the operating system, or you can try a repair install of the operating system, after you back up the files.
m
l
July 14, 2010 4:43:08 AM

mauihi said:
help,
I cant get safe mode to go past gernuwa.sys, what can i do? I'm frozen there. I un plug the computer and try to restart and the following occurs; Checking file system on C: etc, I ran it 3 times, and it completes, but stays frozen.
thanks, for any suggetions.
Maui

You may have a program named pcAnywhere installed in your computer. Gernuwa.sys is part of that program.

Restart your computer with the Windows XP CD in the drive.

When the CD boots your computer, a choice of what you want to do will appear.

Select to start the Repair Console. It will do some hardware checking and show a progress bar at the bottom of the screen, finally asking you which Windows installation you wish to log onto, also showing your Windows XP, probably as #1. Press the appropriate number corresponding to your XP install.

It will ask you for the administrators password. Enter it or if none, just press the enter key.

The screen will appear to go blank except for a cursor and maybe the current path.

Enter this: CD \Windows\System32\drivers\ (then press the enter key) (notice the space between "CD" and the first backslash)

Enter: DIR Gernuwa.sys (then press the enter key)
It should show up.

Enter this: DEL Gernuwa.sys (then press the enter key)

If you get a cursor again, without any error messages, you are done removing the bad file,

Enter this: EXIT (then press the enter key)

Remove the CD from the drive and restart Windows normally.

Now you must delete the registry key pointing to that process:

1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run.
2. In the Run dialog box, type regedit.
3. Click OK.
4. In the Registry Editor window, find the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\

5. In the left pane, click Gernuwa.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. Close the Registry Editor.
8. Restart the computer.

When Windows restarts, go to the control panel, add/remove programs, and uninstall PcAnywhere.

Restart Windows.

If you really must use pcAnywhere, re-install it, knowing it may cause this problem again in the future.

Come back and let me know if this helped, (or not).

m
l
!