8800 gt overclock

superpyro36

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Ok so i used ntune or nvidia control panel to overclock the memory bus and core bus. this worked fine and i did it in increments playing crysis in between till i got to the point where there were artifacts then i backed it down a notch. so i see improvemnet but the settings dont stay. from reading around i guess i have to do a bios flash is this correct? would the one sticky on flashing the bios be what i have to do?

faster3200

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
It would be safer and easier to use rivatuner to do the OCing and then use ATI Tool to stability test. This will be the most accurate way to get a good OC and prove it is stable.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Rivatuner is better than ntune. But use this for stressing, rather than ATI Tool.
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
You can edit Nvidia BIOS using NiBiTor and you can flash Nvidia cards using the Nvflash tool. For some reason NiBiTor couldn't grab the BIOS off of my card so I used GPU-Z to grab the BIOS off the card so I could edit it.

Make sure your settings are stable before flashing, and even then be VERY careful and don't go around changing stuff if you don't know what it does. There are guides online for using Nvflash but all the ones I looked up are outdated (~4yrs old). You'll need a boot floppy or other similar media. If you read the readme it will tell you the commands to type in as well as how to look up the list from within the app in case you forgot them and didn't write them down.

I just figured this all out today because my 7900GS died and I had 2 6600GTs lying around. I couldn't get them to SLI without the computer pulling a BSOD so I flashed the BIOS on one of the cards. I also adjusted the 2D throttle and fan speed because they defaulted to 100% which was insanely loud. Works like a charm now but is still molasses compared to the 7900GS.

Hope this helped!
-mcg

faster3200

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008

First, bit late to the game. Last post was 8 days ago.

Second, the Evga program is actually just an older version of rivatuner that they skinned.

I have 2 BIOS flashed to their OC settings 8800GT, bios flashing is a serious step in your OCing adventure, you need to educate yourself thoroughly and fully understand what you're about to do before you do it and also understand it affects your warranty, as a matter of fact if you bios flash your card your warranty is gone, I fully understood that from the begining, as you should if you plan to proceed.

First know the settings your card will stably run at, use Nibitor to read, modify, and save your modded BIOS, then use NvFlash to bios flash the card.

Note: Cooling is very important, either also add cooling fanspeed parameters to your BIOS flash if you'll be using the stock cooler or go with an aftermarket cooling solution, personally I reccommend the aftermarket cooling.