What's going on with these temps?

Tenstones

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
I just got my Xigmatech and a 750W Corsair PSU, so I could OC my Q6600, so I bumped it up to 3.0 GHz and my my idle is 38 38 31 32 and load is 74 69 64 51 :ouch:

Before upgrading the PSU it was idling at 17-20 at the stock 2.4 GHz. I don't understand how so much more heat could be generated.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You do have a problem with the load temps, but not the idle. 38C is a tad high, but the numbers are a little far apart. I would check the HS installation. Did you use the backplate? If not, then get it. It's cheap and provides a positive mounting. Also, make sure you don't use the dab or line in the middle because the TIM won't spread properly due to the exposed heat pipe design. Use a very thin layer across the entire CPU IHS or the bottom of the HS.

I don't understand how you could be comparing the initial idle numbers to the 3.0 Idle numbers because 17c-20c is 62.6F-68F. That seems a bit low to me, unless you wear a jacket to use your computer.

Superhal

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
couple things:
1. try putting it back to stock speeds and seeing the idle.

2. the original temps seem low, are you sure they are measured correctly? were you using air cooling before the xigmatek? if so, then it's impossible for it to reach temps below room temperatures.

3. is the new heatsink installed correctly? check these articles:
http://www.innovationcooling.com/Indepandentuserpressuretest.htm
http://www.innovationcooling.com/applicationisnstructions.htm

4. did you check if your cpu is level? the intel quads are famous for having weirdly shaped IHS's and may need lapping.

Tenstones

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
The 17C is what the BIOS showed me right after installing the Xigmatech the day before I got the new PSU.

I don't have the back plate, but if that eliminates those annoying push connectors I will be ordering one right now.

I always spread a thin layer of AS5 on the CPU. I was looking for sand paper to lap it and I couldn't find the right grain at Sears.

I must have bumped it loose or something when I installed the PSU.

Superhal

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
re: sandpaper: i checked Checker's (an auto parts store) yesterday, and they had 3M brand up to 1500 grain wet/dry, and a nice kit with assorted sheets, 200-800. but, they are rather pricey at $5 for 4-5 sheets. i'm going to try Ace hardware today, on the forums, people say you can get individual sheets for $.50. also, i'm going to check ben franklin for a model polishing kit.

the bios temp usually measures tjunction max, but still it should not be anywhere near 20c.

One thing you can check is the PSU installation and exhaust. Usually, PSU's will suck air from the case and out the back, but recently there's been a rash of PSU's that blow air into the case. if your xigmatek is typical, it is probably blowing air upwards. if the PSU is also blowing inwards, you'll have an airflow issue.

it could also be a rail tolerance issue. try resetting your bios for stock and seeing the temperatures.

this article is meant for AMD chips, but the software is probably relevant for intel as well.
http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=98342&enterthread=y

Tenstones

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
It turns out one of the top pins came loose, I ordered the retention bracket and some Arctic Silver Ceramique. I'm hoping to get around 3.4 GHz.

Now I'm at 3.1 GHz
Idle: 27 27 25 27
Load: 39 39 37 41

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Yea, the pins. Gosh how I hated them. Removing the Mobo is the ONLY way to ensure the pins are right, every time. Screws, once the concept is understood, and with practice, no more Mobo removal.