Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP Repair Problem...

Last response: in Windows XP
July 13, 2010 8:27:47 PM

Hi everyone, I attempted to perform a Windows XP Repair by booting from CD-ROM with Windows CD in drive and everything go's smooth only until the system is finish and reboots. Windows begins to load and just when you think the desktop is going to be displayed it says "Please Wait" with the mouse displaying an hourglass with a black sceen with a Windows logo in middle of screen, it remains this way even after many hours. I seem unable to enter certain Windows programs like Disk Defragmenter saying the file doesn't exist, all my previous restore points are gone!

Now for the kicker, my Windows installation was in perfect condition because after a few attempts I found out why my system32 errors were happening, my graphics card 8-pin connector was barely making contact with the graphics card and now I want my Windows back in working order without having to format and start over! I'm starting to find things that are not working, address bar will not work, I need to get my Windows back in working order!

Pleae help me...

More about : windows repair problem

July 13, 2010 8:48:32 PM

Download ccleaner, and run the registry tool. You may need to run it several times to fix all the issues. Assuming the repair created some disconnects between the apps and the registry entries, it may be able to fix them.
www.piriform.com/ccleaner

You should also run a chkdsk to verify there aren't any hard drive errors.
start-->run-->chkdsk /r
July 14, 2010 12:30:34 AM

I did everything that you said and the chkdsk was 69% complete the last time I checked, where do I find the results of the chkdsk scan? There's no way in hell I was going to sit at my computer table for an 2 hours, lol! It seems like Windows is damaged because I can't even click on links to websites without some con not find or doesn't exist error or type in address bar or even perform simple tasks! That will be the last time I ever try to repair an OS through a system Repair as it destroyed a perfect OS that didn't have any of these problems!!
Related resources
July 14, 2010 12:52:19 AM

There are 5 stages to the chkdsk. Stage 4 and 5 take the longest. If you ran it with the /r switch, it can take a few hours to run. At the end, it will restart. Once it's back into windows, go to start-->run-->eventvwr.msc-->application-->it should give results there.

Once that's done, insert the windows disc. Go to start-->run-->sfc /scannow-->this will scan your system files for any damaged files. If it finds any, it will replace them using the windows disc.
July 14, 2010 3:04:20 AM

It would seem that your graphics connector being disconnected is not the fault of the operating system. And if your system was in perfect condition, as you say above, why did you repair it?
I kind of get the idea that your not giving the whole story.

I have to ask, is this an Asus board?

Perhaps the repair did not work for other reasons, such as the motherboard, condition of the disk drive, etc...but you cant expect restore points to be present after re-installing the operating system, no body ever made the claim that the restore points would be retained.

I do suggest that you reformat the drive and try a clean install, I hope you backed up your files, but what's happening here may have nothing to do with the operating system. You can't assume that the troubles you are having are caused by the operating system.
I suspect there may be more to this than what appears to be.
July 14, 2010 3:30:36 AM

I think a format and reinstall is premature at this point. A partial/incomplete repair could screw with the registry. These kind of symptoms can usually be repaired without the need for a reinstall.

Let's wait for the results of the chkdsk and the sfc scan.
July 14, 2010 12:01:47 PM

soundguruman said:
It would seem that your graphics connector being disconnected is not the fault of the operating system. And if your system was in perfect condition, as you say above, why did you repair it?
I kind of get the idea that your not giving the whole story.

Perhaps the repair did not work for other reasons, such as the motherboard, condition of the disk drive, etc...but you cant expect restore points to be present after re-installing the operating system, no body ever made the claim that the restore points would be retained.

I do suggest that you reformat the drive and try a clean install, I hope you backed up your files, but what's happening here may have nothing to do with the operating system. You can't assume that the troubles you are having are caused by the operating system.

Why did I repair it, because I was getting system32 errors caused by the graphics card having intermittent contact with the power cable. I put two and two together after the fact, what problem do you have with Asus mobo's? Do you know something that I don't regarding Asus mobo's? Anyhow I wiped my drive clean using an image based wipe program, then formated and did a fresh installed of Windows XP with SP3. I will update if I have any further problems, I will say this I've had more issues with SP3 than I ever did with SP2!

***************UPDATED *******************

I got this message (below) after defragging my HDD, how could this be on such a fresh install? Thing is there are no files listed yet there's the red lines! :pfff:  There's some red lines that I guess will forever be fragmented! This has never happened before today and I've had this HDD for a few years, I'll run a chkdsk /r and report back tomorrow! :pfff: 

Some files on this volume could not be defragmented.
Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files.
July 14, 2010 2:02:00 PM

Alright I ran chkdsk /r and here are the results, I received far too many of these errors to count them! The same fragmented files that were fragmented before running chkdsk are still there in red, where do I look for bad HDD sectors/errors in the report? :pfff: 

Error:-->Service Control Manager-->File name-->netevent.dll.

The Application Management Service Terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

**************UPDATE*****************

Windows freezes and now take 2 minutes to Power Off, things are worse than before I ran chkdsk /r!
July 14, 2010 2:47:42 PM

Did you run the sfc scan? If not, that's a good next step. You may have some profile, or windows corruption.

After the chkdsk, and the sfc scan, run the ccleaner registry tool until all issues are resolved. This combination will repair hard drive, system files, and registry issues.

Defrag can't touch some files, because it doesn't defrag system files, because they are in use. There are a few other reasons, but that's most likely. Here's a more thorough explaination.
http://ask-leo.com/why_wont_some_files_defrag.html

If you have updates turned on, windows may be updating on shutdown. You can check the update site to verify, or temporarily shut them off.

If it's not the cause, check the event viewer to see if the system or application sections are logging errors at shutdown.
July 14, 2010 4:15:07 PM

I don't understand how you reformatted the drive did a clean install and still got disk errors.

Is this an Asus motherboard?

Update: looked at your configuration, how did I guess?

The problems you are having are not the operating system, it's the motherboard. Replace the motherboard, and all the problems will be solved.
Plug in all your hardware, into a good motherboard, and your problems will be over.
And as long as you need a good motherboard, think Gigabyte.
July 14, 2010 5:11:19 PM

You jumped the gun on immediately suggesting a format and reinstall. Now you're assuming it's the Asus motherboard. Without any kind of confirmation that's a bit hasty. Asus motherboards are widely considered one of the top quality motherboard manufacturers.
July 14, 2010 6:23:20 PM

I am also familiar with the long standing problems in Asus motherboards. The symptoms he is describing are the very same that Asus users have reported, and in all these cases, it turned out to be a defective motherboard.

And you can load the OS or repair the OS over and over (not a bad idea to to do it once)

And you can load the drivers over and over

And you can use system cleaners, system fixers, and all kinds of other repair programs...

But in the end, you will realize it's the motherboard.

You may even get it working, then one or two days later, or a week later, it will crash again.

And as you noticed, I asked him if it was an Asus board, and he did not answer.

And if Asus is a top rated board, I think it's time somebody re-evaluated.

Read-my-lips It's-the-motherboard.
July 14, 2010 6:44:25 PM

You shouldn't always start with the most wide-sweeping and drastic measures. A fresh install may fix it, but that doesn't mean it was necessary. A new motherboard may fix it, but that also doesn't mean it was the problem. Your diagnostic technique seems to be, to amputate the leg for a broken toe.

July 14, 2010 7:56:41 PM

soundguruman said:
I am also familiar with the long standing problems in Asus motherboards. The symptoms he is describing are the very same that Asus users have reported, and in all these cases, it turned out to be a defective motherboard.

And you can load the OS or repair the OS over and over (not a bad idea to to do it once)

And you can load the drivers over and over

And you can use system cleaners, system fixers, and all kinds of other repair programs...

But in the end, you will realize it's the motherboard.

You may even get it working, then one or two days later, or a week later, it will crash again.

And as you noticed, I asked him if it was an Asus board, and he did not answer.

And if Asus is a top rated board, I think it's time somebody re-evaluated.

Read-my-lips It's-the-motherboard.

That is exactly what I have been doing, having errors after errors after many fresh installs. I feel like I'm playing catch-up all of the time and no matter what I do the end result is the same, 3 days of Memtest, 4 days of Prime95, Orthos, OCCT and endless stress test on the Raptor HDD with healthy results all on more than one occasion, I'm surprised that my components still function! The Asus P5E is the only component untested, Raptor 150 10k HDD, Crucial Ballistics, E6600, Enermax Infinity 720W and GTX 480 all pass stress testsand error checking programs. How do I get Asus to RMA a mobo that can't be tested the way the other components can? I mean how does one point and say the sata controller is bad? I do believe and have suspected it to be the mobo but now I'm certain that no matter what program I run or how many times I reinstall Windows it will only be a matter of time before things start back up again.

Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.6GHz 1.29v
Asus P5E
2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers 4-4-4-12 800MHz @2.0v
150GB Raptor X 10000 RPM
EVGA Geforce GTX 480 Fermi
X-Fi Fatality Pro
Enermax Infiniti 720W PSU
Creative THX 5.1
Tuniq Tower 120
Silverstone TJ09
July 14, 2010 8:26:56 PM

If you've done successful reinstalls, and tested all your hardware, and have the same reoccuring issues, it could be the motherboard. It sounds like you've done tests and taken steps to rule out other possibilities.
July 14, 2010 8:27:41 PM

You can test all you want, but using those tests that intentionally heat the components only shorten the component life span.

Your best bet being, return the Asus board to the vendor and insist on exchanging it for an Intel or Gigabyte board. I do not recommend installing another Asus board.

You can call Asus customer service, but if they answer, you are very lucky.
You can leave your phone number, but don't expect a call back for 30-60 days.
You can email them, and they don't answer.
You can exchange it for another Asus board, but a high probability that you will receive another board with the same defect, or a different defect.

And just to recap, when I told you to do a clean install of the OS, that WAS the test. If you clean install, and still have disk errors as above, and you have an Asus board, the board is defective.

Specifically, it's the chip set, and more specifically the north bridge chip. asus has known about these problems for a very long time, and won't admit it to anybody.

So get you a good board, plug in all your hardware, just as you have now, push the power and it will work. It will work next week, next month, next year. You don't even need to re-install the OS, it will start right up and run.

I recommend Gigabyte because the quality control is very good, and the percentage of bad boards is very low. The price is very reasonable. If you want an Intel board, it costs more, but is also very well made.

As far as the unfounded criticism of my troubleshooting methods, tough. Some people have an intuitive talent, and lots of hands on experience, that may make the process quicker. In this case, I have seen and heard about these defects so many times, that the response becomes automatic.

So keep testing, loading "fix it" programs, reloading software and drivers...or save yourself the headache and buy a good motherboard. Some of us would rather USE the computer, instead of spending all our time trying to make it work.
July 14, 2010 8:41:20 PM

Sorry Systemlord, this has to be said. I'm not trying to steer off topic.

@soundguruman
The problem with your 'troubleshooting methods,' is you didn't even know that systemlord had done any other tests, or that it's been a reoccuring issue. You can't just suggest a bad motherboard to everyone who has a problem with a windows install. The same symptoms can be caused by bad sectors on a hard drive, or flaky RAM, or registry errors, or a corrupt install...etc.

You suggested you knew it was the motherboard because they have a faulty chipset and northbridge. You didn't even know what model of board he has.

My point is, whether you're right in this case, or not, you are usually going to be wrong with this kind of advice. You're going to be causing people to needlessly throw money away. That kind of constant foolish and irresponsible advice isn't going to fly on this forum.
July 14, 2010 8:52:24 PM

Systemlord, this will help if needed. Using ASUS support is about as easy as it gets.

Request RMA:

http://livesupport.asus.com/oapcs.html

RMA request form:

http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_rmaserv.aspx

On line tech support, to get RMA #?

http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx
ASUS Computer International
44370 Nobel Drive, Fremont, CA 94538
Tel: 510-739-3777 Fax: 510-797-2102 Use this phone number it is the fastest way. Need to have serial number handy and they will send RMA info by email
July 14, 2010 11:08:14 PM

Actually, I do know what kind of motherboard he has, it's in his profile.
Replacing the motherboard is the best possible thing he could do right now, especially if it's with a motherboard that's not an Asus board.
I'm not sure where any of my advice caused needlessly throwing away money, certainly in this case $160 would save dozens of hours screwing around. Like I said, you can replace the board, or continue to suffer, your choice.
Asus support as easy as it gets? Tell that to all the people who have been trying to get their motherboards replaced, and are consistently ignored by Asus customer service. I would say, based on personal and recent experience, that Asus is one of the poorest, and so would a lot of others.
July 15, 2010 12:14:41 AM

soundguruman said:

soundguruman said:
Actually, I do know what kind of motherboard he has, it's in his profile.

Look at your first post. You didn't know what kind of motherboard. You didn't know any diagnostic history. You knew very little, and right away, you suggested that he wipe out the sysem.

Even after you checked the profile, you don't know that he's having an issue on that hardware. I've got 4 PCs in my room right now. If I come here for help, it doesn't necessarily mean it's the hardware that's in my sig. You need to diagnose more thoroughly.
July 15, 2010 12:59:00 AM

I don't need any more diagnostics when I understand exactly what the cause of the problem is.
And in my first post, I immediately recognized the symptoms of an Asus board chip set failure. That's why I asked if it was an Asus board.
Wiping the system? No matter, the board does that for you anyway. Whether I wipe it or the board wipes it, no difference.
July 15, 2010 5:52:10 AM

Well I reinstalled Windows XP yet a second time today, same crap all over again, same files can't be defragmented. In the report it says 2 files fragmented and after a defrag it says, "some files could not be defragmented", yet the files are nowhere to be seen. In the 5 years of running two different computers I have NEVER had files that could not be defragmented, never! After my second fresh install of XP and when it came time to perform a restart to complete the updating process, upon restart Windows had loaded and instead of ending up on Windows Desktop the whole computer froze with a black screen. So I hit the reset button and it asked my if I wanted to startup Windows normally, I clicked "Start Windows Normally" only then did I load up onto Windows Desktop. At that point there were the same fragmented files, I used Ccleaner to scan the registory and removed all errors from the registory, it didn't fix my issues though! :pfff: 

There are no errors in Event Viewer or in any of the others, hey if it doesn't cost me any money to have the mobo replaced under the warrenty, that's a sure way of ruling out the mobo as the cause. It's the only component that can't be easily diagnosed by the user, I understand your guy's difference of opinion about the whole Asus mobo problems and all, I have done all that I can with all of my other components and now it's time to replace the mobo and I will continue to update the progress. These freeze-ups go unnoticed by Windows monitoring software (Event Viewer), it's as if time has frozen and windows is unaware that space time is at a stand still! The list of common problems will be listed below-->

1. Broken or corrupted Start Menu and no desktop icons, Task Manager works fine though
2. Freeze-ups upon POST and/or during Windows loading freezes
3. Task Manager shows 100% CPU usage with no application running or throttling issues
4. Motherboard buzzer starts buzzing LOUD like nothing you ever heard after freeze/lockup of Windows
5. The list of issues I've experienced is to long to list! I could go on and on, but you get the idea!
July 15, 2010 12:01:48 PM

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
July 15, 2010 3:38:20 PM

systemlord said:
Well I reinstalled Windows XP yet a second time today, same crap all over again, same files can't be defragmented. In the report it says 2 files fragmented and after a defrag it says, "some files could not be defragmented", yet the files are nowhere to be seen. In the 5 years of running two different computers I have NEVER had files that could not be defragmented, never! After my second fresh install of XP and when it came time to perform a restart to complete the updating process, upon restart Windows had loaded and instead of ending up on Windows Desktop the whole computer froze with a black screen. So I hit the reset button and it asked my if I wanted to startup Windows normally, I clicked "Start Windows Normally" only then did I load up onto Windows Desktop. At that point there were the same fragmented files, I used Ccleaner to scan the registory and removed all errors from the registory, it didn't fix my issues though! :pfff: 

There are no errors in Event Viewer or in any of the others, hey if it doesn't cost me any money to have the mobo replaced under the warrenty, that's a sure way of ruling out the mobo as the cause. It's the only component that can't be easily diagnosed by the user, I understand your guy's difference of opinion about the whole Asus mobo problems and all, I have done all that I can with all of my other components and now it's time to replace the mobo and I will continue to update the progress. These freeze-ups go unnoticed by Windows monitoring software (Event Viewer), it's as if time has frozen and windows is unaware that space time is at a stand still! The list of common problems will be listed below-->

1. Broken or corrupted Start Menu and no desktop icons, Task Manager works fine though
2. Freeze-ups upon POST and/or during Windows loading freezes
3. Task Manager shows 100% CPU usage with no application running or throttling issues
4. Motherboard buzzer starts buzzing LOUD like nothing you ever heard after freeze/lockup of Windows
5. The list of issues I've experienced is to long to list! I could go on and on, but you get the idea!

Except that, in many instances customers received replacement boards with the same or different defects from Asus. That's why I recommend changing to a more reliable manufacturer.
And for my last comment, there is no more reliable way to fix a malfunction in the XP system than with the XP disk itself. Whether you do a repair install or a clean install, it covers all the bases that a "system cleaner" or other third party software could never hope to cover. The original software is far more rigorously tested than any third party add on.
If the hardware is functioning correctly, there is no reason why the operating system, designed to run it, should not run it. I look upon third party "fix it" programs with much disdain, and would not recommend they be used by anyone.
July 15, 2010 4:13:42 PM

^ So, you don't trust windows updates, and you don't use any 3rd party software. What do you do when you get a virus? Just wipe out the whole system?

July 15, 2010 4:15:54 PM

soundguruman said:
Except that, in many instances customers received replacement boards with the same or different defects from Asus. That's why I recommend changing to a more reliable manufacturer.

And I'm calling BS on this whole argument. You need to start backing up your claims with facts. Give proof, or stop making these claims.
July 15, 2010 4:51:25 PM

Now let's have a look at some actual customer reviews, people who purchased Asus P5 motherboards:

Review number 1

Pros: Seems to work reasonably well once it's booted.

Cons: It thinks it has a new processor installed that needs to be configured in BIOS each and every time it's started. Two beeps to boot it and setting the BIOS to ignore errors to complete POST is annoying at best. It seems to work ok once it starts, but the board is definitely defective. Clearing the CMOS and configuring the CPU is ineffective.

Other Thoughts: I have used Asus boards for years and never had a problem. I'd return this one in a heartbeat, but had to put it in service because of critical time constraints. The board is flawed but for now it's working in a 24/7 environment with a Q9550 CPU and 2 gb dual channel 1066 GSkill RAM. We'll see how long it lasts and deal with it when it dies. By the way, it has the latest BIOS update available, 2204. There's no way I'd recommend this board to anyone.

Review number 2

Pros: none.

Cons: purchased on 4-15-10, board died on 6-6-10.

Other Thoughts: with so many bad boards i would suggest finding an alternate option.

Review number 3

Pros: Could be good if it worked

Cons: Second DOA board i've recieved. A bit frustrating since i'm on a budget and it costs me 17 dollars to ship it since i'm on the other side of the country. By now I could have purchased the P5Q Pro Turbo and been a step ahead of this nightmare of a board.

Review number 4

Pros: Worked great.... for a few months

Cons: i built 2 computers with this board and the first one i put together i replaced everything in the machine before sending back the Mobo and the replacement Mobo was DOA then my second computer i built with it starting dieing as well...

Review number 5

Pros: Fine when it works

Cons: Does not last. Had two boards both die in 3-4 months of use. I thought once was a fluke..but twice. I am in the process of dealing with rma now.

Other Thoughts: I have had asus boards last 4-5 years on average. Looks like I am going to be building more with evga now.

Review number 6

Pros: NONE

Cons: DOA, like many others. What a frustrating experience.

Review number 7

Pros: none

Cons: 2 DOA boards,asus did bad with this one

Review number 8

Pros: Fast when it worked lots of features

Cons: Asus rma dept is very seldom open the one day I actually got to speak with anyone I was told that they are open till midnight but at four in the afternoon I get a message stating rma dept is now closed they did not rma the board tried to blame everything else but if you google this board others are having the same trouble with a faulty bios the board will only post if the cmos is cleared first and dont try to save any changes and exit or board will not post but after clearing cmos it will boot up to windows fine and run for as long as it is still powered on

Other Thoughts: I bought asus on their reputation and the three year warrenty but it does not look like that matters at all the company that made my cpu also makes mainboards and they do stand behind their products this was a workstation that was needed everyday for my wifes work at home job has been broken for 11 days now

Review number 9

Pros: The price wasn't bad.

Cons: I received the mobo along with all the other components for a build for my sister. After putting everything together I foolishly took it to her house for setup without powering it up. Of course it didn't work when I got there. I did some troubleshooting and found the mobo was dead. RMA, got a replacement. Dead on arrival twice.

Other Thoughts: If you want to take chances, buy this item.

Review number 10

Pros: Great all around board. Stable.

Cons: I am trashing any p5q board because non of them will run on a gigabit network in vista or windows7. If you check the ASUS sight, there are dozens of posts and complaints about this but ASUS will not even acknowledge the problem. If you need a gigabit NIC and are running vista or higher, it will not work!!!

July 15, 2010 4:57:27 PM

:lol:  I hope your evidence isn't based on Newegg reviews. Many of those people don't have the patience or qualifications to actually diagnose a problem.

I'm not saying every board will be good. Some will be DOA, but the majority will normally be reviewed very positively.
July 15, 2010 5:40:42 PM

Review 11

Shame on ASUS

Pros: Great board, as long as you're not expecting it to come with a warranty.

Cons: 6 months after building my gaming rig I ran into some very strange issues. I began getting random hard resets while playing games, my computer would no longer power on after going into sleep mode (I actually had to reset the bios to get it to come back up), and occasionally it would freeze at the bios splash screen during the POST. Several weeks of testing later, the problem was traced to the motherboard. After obtaining an RMA # from ASUS I mailed the defective board (at my expense of course) to their service center. About a week later I received a package from ASUS inside of which, to my surprise, was the exact same board I had sent out. I still do not know if my RMA was denied, and if so why, as I have not received any further communication from ASUS.

Other Thoughts: I built my HTPC about a month ago using the exact same parts minus a new motherboard (NOT from ASUS) and it runs flawlessly.

My Old Rig:
Core 2 Duo E7400
ASUS P5Q SE Plus
EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GTX 260
G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2-1066

I am an experienced system builder, having built many systems for myself and others. Prior to this incident I had considered ASUS motherboards to be the ideal choice. Now, thanks to their lack of communication, I will be very hesitant to buy ASUS in the future.

Review 12

Didn't work at all

Pros: The motherboard was dead on arrival...

Cons: see above

Other Thoughts: I was trying to replace an older Intel motherboard to get higher FSB support for a Core2 Duo processor. Neglecting the fact that it didn't work out of the box, the Asus didn't seem anywhere near as solid or robust physically as the Intel MB.

Review 13

Started well

Pros: Good board while it works.

Cons: Died after 9 months of moderate use.

Other Thoughts: Great while it lasted, but it really didn't go the distance I expected.

Review 14

Pros: Easy to install, works well out of the box.

Cons: Dies after 11 months like many others. I sent it in for RMA and they decided the CPU pins were bent and wanted to charge more than it costs to buy the thing in the first place.

Review 15

Worked great for 8 months. Has an LED on it (unlike the Gigabyte that it replaced).

Cons: Everything starts to fire up as normal when I turn the machine on (the LED even turns on!!!), but the system won't post. Real pain! Just submitted an RMA, but it's such a hassle sending these things back!

Other Thoughts: Why don't these things last?!?!

Review 16

Pros: working well when it is working

Cons: Suddenly dead after 11 months. LED is still on, fans of video card and CPU are still spinning, no post after powering on.

Review 17

Pros: Great motherboard when working

Cons: Just died after 9 months of use for no apparent reason.

Other Thoughts: Not a trustworthy product.

Review 18
Don't do it
Pros: Price, Asus brand, Good customer service with first board RMA

Cons: I bought this board in June and it lasted about 6-8 weeks. RMA'd it back to Asus and it was confirmed bad and I was sent a replacement. The new board lasted maybe 2 weeks. It worked great up until it didn't work at all. There has to be an issue with this particular board somewhere as I have read (after my purchase) that this happens somewhat often.

Other Thoughts: I love Asus boards and have never built with another. I am not writing them off for future builds but I will take more time to read reviews for sure.

Review 19

Pros: Easy to install and configure. Worked pretty well until.....

Cons: My first complaint is the dimm slots are staggered. This isn't a problem unless you want to install a memory cooler. I understand this was my fault for not seeing it in the overhead picture.....but in my defense they are so slightly offset that it is hard to tell. In addition, I have done many builds and not come across a mobo whose dimm slots are offset. To top the whole thing off...after having the mobo for 35 days I started getting BSOD after the system was up for a few hours. After troubleshooting extensively I have narrowed the problem down to the B1 dimm slot. Fails memtest after running for a few hours. The memory is fine in the A1 slot.

Other Thoughts: If you want to use a memory cooler like the Corsair Dominator ships with....DON"T BUY THIS BOARD! In addition, you are taking your chances on this board as myself and others have had dimm slots go out. I would say it points to a manufacturing defect of some kind.

Review 20

buy something else

Pros: price?

Cons: this MB quit after a couple weeks and at the time I was too busy to diagnose just what the problem was so I took it to a repair shop and the dude had it for over 2 months so when I finally got it back and found out the MB was bad it was too late to send it back. get another brand this one won't last you.

Other Thoughts: I realize that if I had figured out the problem sooner I could have sent this MB back - but that's not the point. It died after two weeks.

July 15, 2010 5:49:07 PM

Overall, only about 50% of the people who bought it said they were able to run it with no problem.
20% said they were totally dissatisfied, and would not buy another Asus product again.
And out of all the people who returned it the first time, the majority received replacements that were DOA or failed shortly after.

Now my own experience: I bought an Asus board which had all of the problems that this poster mentioned. I attempted to call Asus several times, and they did not answer, I finally got a hold of them and they said they would call me back, which they did not.
After several more attempts I got a hold of a tech, who gave me his e mail at Asus, and told me to e mail him so we could troubleshoot. He never answered my e mails.
Two months later (that's 60 days or more) Asus returned my phone call. I had already replaced the Asus board with a Gighabyte board which, by the way, worked perfectly on the very first boot, and has been working ever since with absolutely no issues.

Asus used to be good, now they have issues.
If they would answer the phone, return phone calls, answer e mail, test their boards before selling them, that would be an improvement.
July 15, 2010 5:51:35 PM

I don't know where you're getting those reviews, but as I said, most reviewers are unqualified to be diagnosing a motherboard. If you are so interested in user reviews, here is that particular motherboard reviewed on Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N...
I still don't put much stock in them, but you can see the overwhelming satisfaction with that board.

You still have given NO proof.
July 15, 2010 5:52:47 PM

I'll admit some boards have issues, but why are you only focusing on the negitave reviews? :heink:  You are only showing us one side of the wall, I want to see both sides of the wall! It's true most don't have the necessary skills to diagnose a toaster, let alone a computer. I've seen some of those reviews and laugh when I see those people that clearly don't have a brain God gave an ant! :lol:  I've had many successful Asus mobos that lasted up until they needed upgrading, every manufacturer has their bad board designs and it's not limited to Asus mobos. Here a review of both positive and negative, I'll show you both sides to the wall, notice the brand of motherboards. :D  -->

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N...

4x Winner of Customer Choice Award - Intel Motherboards
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
July 15, 2010 5:56:05 PM

aford10 said:
:lol:  I hope your evidence isn't based on Newegg reviews. Many of those people don't have the patience or qualifications to actually diagnose a problem.

I'm not saying every board will be good. Some will be DOA, but the majority will normally be reviewed very positively.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Review title: best power supply ever

Pros: This power supply owns your fase off. Every once in a while it shoots flames out the back grill. The first time my friends saw it happen they were like, "whoa you rule!" One time I was at a LAN party and totally owning fools playing CSS. I got a rad headshot and this PSU started smoking and i was like this is satans power supply! at that point i knew i was in love with it. I tested the 12v line and it was putting out 15V, how sweet is that??? thats like 3 extra volts of pure power, which is I'm sure is totaly upping my megahurts. Oh yeah and at least once a day this thing will make rad noise like an electric guitar wailing. If your hardcore, this PSU is for you.

Cons: None at all. this thing weighs only like 1/2 pound so your LAN rig is way easy to carry. I cant even believe how sweet this thing is.

Other Thoughts: This power supply is for true hardcore overclockers! if you had problems with it before its only because you dont even know what you are doing!!!!
July 15, 2010 7:17:15 PM

I sooooo hope that's real Badge! That's priceless :lol: 
July 16, 2010 5:18:48 AM

Posted recently on Tom's Hardware:
I've sent my Motherboard ASUS M3A32 to be repaired, i didn't mind paying for the shipping since the motherboard was worth 200+ dollars. I sent it in because the Ethernet did not work. when i received it back it did not work with my computer
. It showed no display, it was strange since my computer had the same exact hardware as it did before. I called to troubleshoot with them, as they told me what i needed to do. My computer got worse, the PC did not even stay on. They claimed that my other parts were the issue, when i installed my temporary motherboard everything worked the first time through. If a support agent told me that they fix repairs but do not troubleshoot them how do they know the root of the problem? i'm not sure if i should call to demand for a new one or to let it go. That day i was on the phone for more than 5 hours, put on hold 3/8 times and when i was put on hold they hung up.

I post this to see what i should do. Is it worth the headache to call them to receive a new one. There is no reason i should have to pay to resend it so that they can just send it back the same claiming its fixed.

Yes that's right we're all unqualified idiots, and the rank service we receive from Asus is just our imagination.
July 16, 2010 6:06:10 AM

The last review was on 11/11/2008 as that mobo is unavailable at least on Newegg, I can show you a review just like that one with any motherboard manufacturer so what makes this one so special? So what do you think about the two reviews that I posted links to with Asus scoring 77% with Gigabyte a lower score of 54%? It seems like you are anti-Asus and Pro Gigabyte, all of your evidence is one-sided. :heink:  Yet for everytime anyone else provides a counter review your only answer is another bad review, there will always be customers who fall through the cracks as some techs (if you dare call them that!) are lacking any common sense! Eric a level 3 tech support rep for Asus was an ace when my brother's Asus P5Q Deluxe just quit working due to a nasty power surge that fied all the light bubles in the house, he sent my brother a new replacement no questions asked! ;)  Gigabyte makes an excellent mobo and I'm looking at some for consideration along with Asus mobos.
July 16, 2010 6:10:44 AM

How do I take an image of my OS without having another HDD as I only have one? I want to have a back-up image instead of reinstalling everytime until such time I'm ready to upgrade, thing is I'm 6 months away from being able to buy a new mobo because I'm on a budget every month and am $80 dollars away from getting my water cooling system up and running.
July 16, 2010 5:31:12 PM

Because I'm POd at a manufacturer that evades resolving customer problems, people with the worst problems, that Asus is fully aware of, are the ones most ignored.
You call, they ask you the model number, they tell you they will call you back, then they ignore you.
And if I were you...I would just call the vendor and tell them you want an exchange for a different brand.
It's true that about 50% receive good motherboards, and that's where the good reviews come from.
And what about the other half, who either have one problem or another, or wind up with the conclusion that they will never buy another Asus product again?
And i am in the 20% who will never buy another Asus product.
50% problems or totally dissatisfied is a really poor track record, one of the worst, if not THE worst.
July 16, 2010 6:24:36 PM

OMG.....where do you get these numbers?? The reviews show overwhelmingly positive reviews. And you're not even citing your sources. If you're going to quote something, give your source. That's how it's properly done. For all we know you're writing those yourself, or chicken pecking various bad reviews.

Asus is one of THE best manufacturers. Don't let your past experience cloud your opinions. Though, you're obviously jaded, don't pass that poor advice to others.
July 17, 2010 1:12:37 AM

soundguruman said:
Because I'm POd at a manufacturer that evades resolving customer problems, people with the worst problems, that Asus is fully aware of, are the ones most ignored.
<snip>

Bla Bla Bla <snip>

I was trying my best to avoid this thread, but you're just too much.

Asus is suffering from their own good reputation and subsequent popularity. That's it.

So, millions of people hear how well-made and rock-solid an Asus board is. They all go out and buy one for themselves since they are that good.

Who bought them and what abuse did the boards suffer the second they came out of the box?
How many people are just too stupid to use proper anti-static measures when handling a bare circuit board filled with CMOS chips? How many people drop somethng (a screw maybe?) on/in the board, fail to retrieve it and power it on 20 minutes later only to get the bang of their life. How many people don't know how to plug the power plug(s) into a board? How many no-brainers bought a great Asus board, just to destroy it through their own negligence and stupidity and then cried foul that the board was DOA?

Look at the sub-prime mentality of so many new posters right here at this forum. They can't even get the question typed into a box. It's not confusing to make a post here, but wow, the number of people who can be out-smarted by a text-box is amazing.

I see so many of your post that make me cringe and now I see you hate Asus. It causes me to "consider the source."

I used to buy Asus boards, never had one fail, ever. I switched to DFI Lanparty boards when the Lanparty NF II Ultra B hit the market. Now I have a Lanparty 790FX and I'm wondering what's next because the party is over at DFI, there will be no more Lanparty boards. I'll ask you what's the crappiest board out there and buy it, knowing full-well it must be great if so many people buy it, abuse it and then gripe about it.
July 17, 2010 2:27:46 AM

tigsounds said:
I see so many of your post that make me cringe

Yeah, Tom's XP forum has never had this kind of help to cringe about. :o 

July 17, 2010 2:34:06 AM

It's not a static problem, it's a chipset problem.
Throw all the darts you want at the messenger. I did not install the bunk chipsets, and I did not stop Asus from answering the phone.
This is a quality control issue. I did not create it.
You might be pissed that I recognized the problem when others did not, you might be pissed that "fix it" programs do not repair defect chipsets.
That's not my fault, that's your issue.
July 17, 2010 2:44:04 AM

soundguruman said:
It's not a static problem, it's a chipset problem.

It's a people-at-large are stupid problem.
It's a "I'll just act like nothing happened" problem.
It's a "what was that?..... oh" problem.
It's a "That's what soundguruman at Tom's hardware forum said to do... why didn't it work"? problem.
and it's always going to be a "We'll just blame Asus" problem.
July 17, 2010 3:02:43 AM

As usual,
you are engaging in the criticism,
but have absolutely no working solution of your own.

And replacing the motherboard with a working one WILL fix it. Just as that solution has fixed so many others.

And for sure, I do blame Asus, there's no question in that matter.
July 17, 2010 3:34:10 AM

soundguruman said:
As usual,
you are engaging in the criticism,

And replacing the motherboard with a working one WILL fix it. Just as that solution has fixed so many others.

And for sure, I do blame Asus, there's no question in that matter.

You still have provided no proof. Just obscure, non-cited claims. Your crossing the lines of thread disruption and posting false information. If you want to keep posting on this forum, provide facts, and sources!
July 17, 2010 3:41:47 AM

soundguruman said:
As usual,
<snip>

<snip>

Yea, I've heard that one from you before and when I prove you wrong, you quietly disappear....

Can you remember your words....

Quote:
I don't hear many constructive answers from you today, but if you have a better idea, why don't you just say so? What's your solution (besides complaining) to the mouse malfunction?

Quote:
Oh sorry, I didn't see your solution for solving the mouse problem...cause you don't have one?

That from the same guy who "advised"[sic]...

Quote:
There's a trick you can try...
make sure the mouse and keyboard are plugged in.
put the XP disk in the machine, start the machine and hold down F8, select boot from disk, windows will then load a bunch of drivers. After all these drivers load, it will get to the setup screen.
Don't start the setup. Shut the computer off by unplugging from the power, take out the disk, then restart the computer.

How about you unplug your computer while it's running. (do us all a favor)

Hey, let's not forget the final outcome of your rant ....
and unlike you, I'll show my source:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248970-45-mouse-worki...

July 17, 2010 4:11:46 AM

systemlord said:
How do I take an image of my OS without having another HDD as I only have one? I want to have a back-up image instead of reinstalling everytime until such time I'm ready to upgrade, thing is I'm 6 months away from being able to buy a new mobo because I'm on a budget every month and am $80 dollars away from getting my water cooling system up and running.

Two words...

Norton Ghost.

It will burn to spanned CD/DVD's.

OK, that cost a bit of money... let's see here.. something for free...

Or... here's one that will backup an entire partition... and it's free..
http://www.todo-backup.com/

As they say on TV..."But wait! There's more"...

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/10/12/13-great-free-b...
July 17, 2010 4:22:37 AM

Ummm.. you Do have a DVD burner... right?
or a second partition that can hold your system partition?
July 17, 2010 4:39:51 AM

systemlord said:
How do I take an image of my OS without having another HDD as I only have one? I want to have a back-up image instead of reinstalling everytime until such time I'm ready to upgrade,
<snip>

I also want to ask a question...

What's this "instead of reinstalling everytime" thing? Just how often do you reinstall?

I haven't reinstalled Windows in years.
Maybe you're playing too rough?
July 17, 2010 7:40:04 AM

systemlord said:
Hi everyone, I attempted to perform a Windows XP Repair by booting from CD-ROM with Windows CD in drive and everything go's smooth only until the system is finish and reboots. Windows begins to load and just when you think the desktop is going to be displayed it says "Please Wait" with the mouse displaying an hourglass with a black sceen with a Windows logo in middle of screen, it remains this way even after many hours. I seem unable to enter certain Windows programs like Disk Defragmenter saying the file doesn't exist, all my previous restore points are gone!

Pleae help me...

lsass.exe is bad.

To Fix:

Put your Windows XP CD in the drive and boot computer.
At proper prompting, start recovery console.
Enter DIR C׃
The installed Windows files and folders should scroll on screen, this is good, and important.
Enter cd D׃\i386 (assumes drive D is your CD, adjust as needed)
Enter expand lsass.ex_  C׃\windows\system32
Enter cd C׃\windows\system32
Enter attrib lsass.exe -r
Enter rename lsass.exe lsass.bak
Enter rename lsass.ex_ lsass.exe
Enter Exit
Enter <Enter key> (machine restarts)

Let me know how this worked.

FAQ
Why was it important that my Windows files and folders scrolled down the screen?

This proves that even at the DOS level, your Windows Drive C is also the DOS drive C.
If Windows was installed as a result of booting with the CD, no matter which DOS partition
it was installed to, Windows would still call it's partition drive C.
If you did not see your Windows files and folders scroll, then you would need to search other drive letters to find the Windows installation.

!