Sign in with
Your question

Can't install any vid card on a Win 8 pc?

Last response: in Windows 8
December 24, 2012 1:19:43 AM

Hi all,

I bought an HP Pavillion today for my wife and whe I got home, I took her GTX550 and power supply and put them in her new PC.

No dice. PC would not display anything. Tried to disable the onboard, DL's drivers and nothing. PC would turn on, but no video. Called HP. No help. Called Nvidia. No help. Best Buy told me to bring the wole thing to them, PSU, card and all, installed.

The Geek Squad guy went through 2 Pavillions, 3 video cards and finally took an I5 Gateway, a new PSU and a EVGA 560 card and tried to do the whole thing himself on a better system.

Same thing. No video. Nobody else could figure it out.

In the end they said....it's gotta be Win 8?

So....returned the PC, took my PSU and 550 home, reistalled into the wife's PC and it works fine, lol.

What gives?

Is there some secret chant I need to do to make a video card work on a Win 8 system? I have never encountered this before and seeing the Best Buy stumped, it really vexed me.

Any help would be appreciated. Not sure how to go about buying a new PC now?

More about : install vid card win

a b ) Power supply
a b * Windows 8
December 24, 2012 2:42:59 AM

First thing would be the fact that Windows 8 does not have anything to do with the post so if you are not getting any video when you first start the machine you have more going on the Windows 8. Second I have upgraded and build several machines with GTX 5xx and GTX 6xx Nvidia cards with Windows 8 with no problems. So it is not a problem with Windows 8. Did you make sure that the card had the PCI-E power connected it can be easy to miss sometimes. I am not sure what else to say other than it is not a problem with Windows 8.
m
l
December 24, 2012 8:49:20 AM

bryonhowley said:
First thing would be the fact that Windows 8 does not have anything to do with the post so if you are not getting any video when you first start the machine you have more going on the Windows 8. Second I have upgraded and build several machines with GTX 5xx and GTX 6xx Nvidia cards with Windows 8 with no problems. So it is not a problem with Windows 8. Did you make sure that the card had the PCI-E power connected it can be easy to miss sometimes. I am not sure what else to say other than it is not a problem with Windows 8.

Hi,

Yes. PCI-e power connected. All parts work fine. What struck me as odd was that the people at Best Buy tried to install my PSU and Vid card in 3 units. 2 Pavillions and 1 Gateway. None worked. Multiple people got involved with this. There must be a step somewhere we are missing, unless I am just the unluckiest person ever with GPU installs, lol.

I've never done anything fancy before to get a card to work, so I'm lost. I do need to get a PC up and running soon for my wife. Not sure what to do now. I'm not to savvy with PC's. Limited knowledge. Enough to get me into trouble and then stuck. :whistle: 
m
l
Related resources
December 24, 2012 12:35:30 PM

You know I just got this feeling here, That it was down to the fact of the motherboard.
Its a well know fact, pardon my french, that Hp tend to use there own cheap ass boards to build a PC, often you find the board has been contracted out to fit a line of models.
It would not suprise me if it came down to the fact of the Pci-3 standard of the Pci-e slot on the board and the fact it simply was not compatible with the Gtx 550 Pci-e standard it needed to run.
m
l
December 24, 2012 3:19:38 PM

weaselman said:
You know I just got this feeling here, That it was down to the fact of the motherboard.
Its a well know fact, pardon my french, that Hp tend to use there own cheap ass boards to build a PC, often you find the board has been contracted out to fit a line of models.
It would not suprise me if it came down to the fact of the Pci-3 standard of the Pci-e slot on the board and the fact it simply was not compatible with the Gtx 550 Pci-e standard it needed to run.

Yeah, but that doesn't explain the Geek Squad taking a Gateway off the shelf, PSU out of the box and an EVGA 550 out of the box and they got the same thing. No video.

I was there 3 hours, lol. Everyone was stumped. We were all saying..."How is it possible that 3 different PC's all have issues with 2 different video cards and 2 PSU's?" What are the odds?

The Gateway deal was the backbreaker. We all said..there is NO WAY this won't work.

There HAS to be something about these throwaway PC's and Windows 8 that we are missing. I have never had this problem in all my years of stressing out crappy PC's with video cards.

It's like I've entered some PC 3rd dimension, lol. :pt1cable: 
m
l
December 24, 2012 3:51:25 PM

The two main problems in this scenario are the Geek Squad and a Gateway...
m
l
December 24, 2012 3:59:31 PM

rearendhat said:
The two main problems in this scenario are the Geek Squad and a Gateway...

I get all that for years, my friends who are more tech savvy than myself have told me to just build a PC, but time and finances never allowed for it. It was always easier for me to grab store PC and chuck a GPU/PSU and maybe a stick of RAM in there.

Wife could work, I could game, yadda, yadda.

But yeah.....it would seem the Geek Squad's skills aren't much more than my own, lol. The biggest effort I saw was them going into BIOS and enabling the PCIe slot?

Still didn't work either.

Maybe I will give my wife my old PC for now and do some research on building a Gaming PC for myself.
m
l
!