are all comcast hd transmission subject to sound breakup?

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 3, 2005 2:17:28 AM

the hd transmisisons on denver area comcast are all bedeviled
by speech loss lasting a second or so, sometimes accompanied by a
picture pixelization. the present state is what they achieved
after first putting out a much worse hd signal.

there is one program in which these breakups seem to occur in pairs
seprated by a minute or so, early in the program with no followups.

is this true of other comcast systems (in which case it is bad
software/hardware), or only of the denver area?
--
getting out of bed in the morning is an act of false confidence
- jules feifer

On 02 Jul 2005 22:17:28 GMT, awouk@blackhole.nyx.net (arthur wouk)
wrote:

>the hd transmisisons on denver area comcast are all bedeviled
>by speech loss lasting a second or so, sometimes accompanied by a
>picture pixelization. the present state is what they achieved
>after first putting out a much worse hd signal.
>
>there is one program in which these breakups seem to occur in pairs
>seprated by a minute or so, early in the program with no followups.
>
>is this true of other comcast systems (in which case it is bad
>software/hardware), or only of the denver area?
Nothing like that in Western Massachusetts
Thumper
July 3, 2005 12:56:25 PM

awouk@blackhole.nyx.net (arthur wouk) wrote:

>the hd transmisisons on denver area comcast are all bedeviled
>by speech loss lasting a second or so, sometimes accompanied by a
>picture pixelization. the present state is what they achieved
>after first putting out a much worse hd signal.
>
>there is one program in which these breakups seem to occur in pairs
>seprated by a minute or so, early in the program with no followups.
>
>is this true of other comcast systems (in which case it is bad
>software/hardware), or only of the denver area?

I have been struggling with this problem for well over a year here in
Maryland. Comcast has replaced everything from my set to the
distribution amp down the street to no avail. It seems to happen only
on the network channels (CBS, NBC, Fox, TNT), rarely on the others.
There was a letter to Q&A in the June issue of Sound & Vision from
someone in NC with the same problem. The editor who replied had the
same problem. It seems to be widespread, but Comcast here says they
have few complaints (other than mine).

I have found a workaround. I have the SA 8000HD DVR box. In the setup
menue if you select "Other" instead of "Dolby Digital" in the sound
properties the problem is pretty much eliminated. I think the same
could be done permanently by using the analog jacks (red & white)
instead of the digital sound connection.

Jim
July 3, 2005 9:59:38 PM

:
:>the hd transmisisons on denver area comcast are all bedeviled
:>by speech loss lasting a second or so, sometimes accompanied by a
:>picture pixelization. the present state is what they achieved
:>after first putting out a much worse hd signal.
:>
[...]

using tbe analog jacks gives up the higher quality sound you get
by going straight to an quality receiver (which i have). stopping
dolby digital my be worth it. i will have to listen to it though.

i have the motorola 6412 dvr, and it may not have the option.
--
getting out of bed in the morning is an act of false confidence
- jules feifer
to email me, delete blackhole. from my return address
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 11:06:55 PM

I had this issue as well. Most of the high (600+MHz) HD channels were
plagued by break-up issues in the picture and the audio.
Comcast sent techs to check signal level, and all was well from the pole to
the box.

Just for kicks, they pulled the box (Moto 6208) and put in a new one.

Never had the problem again.
-afh3

"arthur wouk" <awouk@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
> the hd transmisisons on denver area comcast are all bedeviled
> by speech loss lasting a second or so, sometimes accompanied by a
> picture pixelization. the present state is what they achieved
> after first putting out a much worse hd signal.
>
> there is one program in which these breakups seem to occur in pairs
> seprated by a minute or so, early in the program with no followups.
>
> is this true of other comcast systems (in which case it is bad
> software/hardware), or only of the denver area?
> --
> getting out of bed in the morning is an act of false confidence
> - jules feifer
> to email me, delete blackhole. from my return address
July 4, 2005 3:32:07 AM

On 03 Jul 2005 17:59:38 GMT, awouk@blackhole.nyx.net (arthur wouk)
wrote:

>In article <oinfc1l7g1umltj1lv9rnnvik1ccurj42d@4ax.com>,
>Jimbo <janno@yahoo.com> wrote:
>:awouk@blackhole.nyx.net (arthur wouk) wrote:
>:
>:>the hd transmisisons on denver area comcast are all bedeviled
>:>by speech loss lasting a second or so, sometimes accompanied by a
>:>picture pixelization. the present state is what they achieved
>:>after first putting out a much worse hd signal.
>:>
>:>there is one program in which these breakups seem to occur in pairs
>:>seprated by a minute or so, early in the program with no followups.
>:>
>:>is this true of other comcast systems (in which case it is bad
>:>software/hardware), or only of the denver area?
>:
>:I have been struggling with this problem for well over a year here in
>:Maryland. Comcast has replaced everything from my set to the
>:D istribution amp down the street to no avail. It seems to happen only
>:o n the network channels (CBS, NBC, Fox, TNT), rarely on the others.
>:There was a letter to Q&A in the June issue of Sound & Vision from
>:someone in NC with the same problem. The editor who replied had the
>:same problem. It seems to be widespread, but Comcast here says they
>:have few complaints (other than mine).
>:
>:I have found a workaround. I have the SA 8000HD DVR box. In the setup
>:menue if you select "Other" instead of "Dolby Digital" in the sound
>:p roperties the problem is pretty much eliminated. I think the same
>:could be done permanently by using the analog jacks (red & white)
>:instead of the digital sound connection.
>:
>:Jim
>:
>
>using tbe analog jacks gives up the higher quality sound you get
>by going straight to an quality receiver (which i have). stopping
>dolby digital my be worth it. i will have to listen to it though.
>
>i have the motorola 6412 dvr, and it may not have the option.

Have you tried it with a different audio receiver?
Thumper
July 4, 2005 6:05:44 PM

Thumper <jaylsmith@comcast.net> wrote:

>Have you tried it with a different audio receiver?
>Thumper

No, but that's not really an option. Spent too much money on my
Pioneer receiver to even consider replacing it.

Jim
July 4, 2005 6:06:45 PM

"afh3" <afhiii@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I had this issue as well. Most of the high (600+MHz) HD channels were
>plagued by break-up issues in the picture and the audio.
>Comcast sent techs to check signal level, and all was well from the pole to
>the box.
>
>Just for kicks, they pulled the box (Moto 6208) and put in a new one.
>
>Never had the problem again.
>-afh3

I've had the DVR replaced twice and a couple of regular HD boxes too.
No difference.

Jim
July 4, 2005 6:13:40 PM

awouk@blackhole.nyx.net (arthur wouk) wrote:

>:I have found a workaround. I have the SA 8000HD DVR box. In the setup
>:menue if you select "Other" instead of "Dolby Digital" in the sound
>:p roperties the problem is pretty much eliminated. I think the same
>:could be done permanently by using the analog jacks (red & white)
>:instead of the digital sound connection.
>:
>:Jim
>:
>
>using tbe analog jacks gives up the higher quality sound you get
>by going straight to an quality receiver (which i have). stopping
>dolby digital my be worth it. i will have to listen to it though.
>
>i have the motorola 6412 dvr, and it may not have the option.

I'm not really sure exactly what "Other" does. I set the sound to
"Other" when I watch those channels that have the problem, and switch
back to "Dolby Digital" for the others. The sound on "Other", when
processed through the ProLogic II of my receiver is satisfactory for
those channels, most of which are not broadcasting Dolby 5.1 anyway.
Any loss of quality is far less annoying than the sound drop outs!

Jim
July 4, 2005 6:39:22 PM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 14:05:44 -0400, Jimbo <janno@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thumper <jaylsmith@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Have you tried it with a different audio receiver?
>>Thumper
>
>No, but that's not really an option. Spent too much money on my
>Pioneer receiver to even consider replacing it.
>
>Jim

How can you complain about the cable service without proving what the
problem is?
Thumper
July 4, 2005 6:40:36 PM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 14:06:45 -0400, Jimbo <janno@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"afh3" <afhiii@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I had this issue as well. Most of the high (600+MHz) HD channels were
>>plagued by break-up issues in the picture and the audio.
>>Comcast sent techs to check signal level, and all was well from the pole to
>>the box.
>>
>>Just for kicks, they pulled the box (Moto 6208) and put in a new one.
>>
>>Never had the problem again.
>>-afh3
>>

>I've had the DVR replaced twice and a couple of regular HD boxes too.
>No difference.
>
>Jim

Logically you would want to rule out your receiver.
Thumper
!