Sign in with
Your question

Will the volt specifications of motherboard vs. memory be a problem?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 9, 2008 12:34:25 AM

Hi all!

I am about to get the motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 with the memory OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC Edition. I will have 4*2 = 8 gb of the memory.

My concern is that the specification of the memory states "2.1 - 2.3 Volts" while the specification of the motherboard says "4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 8 GB of system memory".

So, I am concerned about the volts. If I'm not reading this wrong, the motherboard will only be able to output 1.8V over every memory stick, while each stick requires 2.1 volt atleast.

Am I right? And if I am, do you think the motherboard will be able to put a little bit more volt over the sticks or am I all lost?

As you have definitely guessed by now, yes I am very very new to all of this.

Thanks all!
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
April 9, 2008 1:18:50 AM

Voltage is not really a concern. You should however be careful of the RAM speed. Many users seems to have problems with RAM natively higher than DDR2 800 (but not when DDR2 800 is OCed to the same level). To change voltages look under:"DDR2 OverVoltage Control" for more info see:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

April 9, 2008 2:45:13 AM

The mobo will put out 2.3V. Boot with one stick and set the RAM voltage to 2.3V, then install the other sticks and reboot. As Shadow703793 said, don't be surprised if you have problems with DDR2 1066, and with 4 sticks of any speed.
Related resources
April 9, 2008 10:21:40 AM

TomsHardwareBoys!

Thanks for putting out my concern about the voltage at least! Thanks!

Regarding the speed of the mem... the specifications of the mobo says it supports 1066 Mhz. I will show you a part of it:

Support for DDR2 1200 (O.C.)/1066/800/667 MHz memory modules

You can read it all at

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_S...

Could this possibly still be a problem even if the mobo natively supports this speed?

Thanks!
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
April 9, 2008 11:13:28 AM

^ Yes. Just get some DDR2 800. Even though it supports DDR2 1066 many motherboards (notably the DS3x and DS4x) seems to have problems with RAM natively higher than DDR2 800, unless the RAM is in the QVL.
!