Sign in with
Your question

Intel Xeon Processor?

Last response: in CPUs
March 16, 2008 4:07:29 AM

Good Day to all of you.. Hmm.. Well I'm just new here in this forum and i would like to ask a question for the Computer Master out there.. I live in the Philippines, not long time a time ago while I'm surfing the net i find this site where it has a price list for the parts of a computer and i saw an Intel Xeon processor and it's priced is affordable to me.. Hmm.. My question now is it Ok to buy this processor? because some of my I.T. friends here tell me that it is for Server based processor only and it is not suitable for PC HOME USER.. I need your comment on this before i buy it? ASAP.. Thankzs..

More about : intel xeon processor

March 16, 2008 6:02:34 AM

Why not get a Core 2 duo or core 2 quad?
March 16, 2008 9:45:56 AM

doesn't the Xeon part need a special type of ram? hence it being the server part - i dont know, but i wouldn't risk my money
Related resources
March 16, 2008 1:20:22 PM

Typically Xeon is for servers but you can use them on home PC's. The biggest challenge is to make sure your MB will accept the Xeon both in terms of compatibility and socket.

Look up your MB and the list of approved CPU's.
March 16, 2008 1:59:09 PM

most probably the xeon wont fit into ur pc. they have different socket that then 755. (althought i heard but no one i know confirmed that the E8400 and nother xeon processors are same). but the rest are different. with that. ull need different motherboard which support the xeon. n then u need buffered rams with it. which comes very expensive.
March 16, 2008 2:38:58 PM

If the MB will accept the Xeon, you dont need special ram and plenty of Xeon 775 socket cpu's out there

An example of a home based Mobo would be the GA-P35 would take the Xeon equivalent (e3110) of the E8400 cpu. Just need the correct bios.

But odds are your MB bios wont accept the Xeon....

a b à CPUs
March 16, 2008 3:00:25 PM

It all depends on the Xeon and the motherboard. If you are referring specifically to the E3110, most people reported it worked on any MB that supported the E8400.

Other Xeon families could be completely different CPU and be optimized for Multi-CPU (not multi-core), I/O and things like that. Xeon is the name Intel used for server-level components for years, just like Pentium.
March 16, 2008 3:15:27 PM

rapankzs said:
Good Day to all of you.. Hmm.. Well I'm just new here in this forum and i would like to ask a question for the Computer Master out there.. I live in the Philippines, not long time a time ago while I'm surfing the net i find this site where it has a price list for the parts of a computer and i saw an Intel Xeon processor and it's priced is affordable to me.. Hmm.. My question now is it Ok to buy this processor? because some of my I.T. friends here tell me that it is for Server based processor only and it is not suitable for PC HOME USER.. I need your comment on this before i buy it? ASAP.. Thankzs..

If it is an LGA 775 socket 3040, 3050, 3060 or 3070 then you will be fine. They are just like the original Core 2 Duo's

Best,

3Ball
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2008 4:25:20 PM

IMHO, I prefer to have a server processor than a normal desktop processor. When I moved from an Athlon 64 to an Opteron, I noticed a big difference in performance and in overclocking.

Then again, your mileage will vary.
!