Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PCI Express x16 or x16 2.0 Motherboard

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 19, 2008 10:33:06 PM

im getting the EVGA 8800 GTS 512MB G92 and i have a question. should i get a PCI Express x16 motherboard or a PCI Express x16 2.0 motherboard? my video card is PCI Express x16 2.0. i have this motherboard selected right now and i notice is a 750i motherboard... is that bad? im looking for a P35 chip set motherboard since people say its good. if you dont like it, can anyone suggest one?
February 19, 2008 10:51:25 PM

It doesn't matter if you get PCI Express x16 motherboard or a PCI Express x16 2.0 motherboard. That is because there is no card in existence that uses the PCI-express 2.0 spec, may be compatitible but thats it.
Related resources
February 19, 2008 11:33:45 PM

Picture driving a Prius on an 8 lane highway with a 200mph speed limit and no other traffic. Now increase the speed limit to 400mph. That's about how useful PCIe 2.0 is to any 8800 class GPU (or any modern day GPU for that matter).

Oh and in case you were wondering, PCIe 2.0 is fully backwards compatible with PCIe 1.X.
February 20, 2008 12:53:38 AM

However, I think I would look at the PCI Express 2.0 board as if you keep it long enough, you may be better set for future cards.
February 20, 2008 2:40:05 AM

P35? hemmm... am i wrong in thinking thatyou'll findit a bit difficult to get a PCIe 2slot on a P35 board?
February 20, 2008 6:55:34 AM

M4er1c said:
what do you mean? look here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . its says PCI Express x16 2.0



Are you trying to tell my that my 8800GTX is slower than the 8800GTS 512MB because of the PCI-express 2.0 bus. I suggest you do some research, the fact that your willing to trust a NewEgg webpage is very sad. :( 

Quote:
No card in existence uses the PCI-express 2.0 spec, may be compatitible but thats it.


I'll stick with my factual correct statement! :bounce: 
February 20, 2008 7:51:24 AM

homerdog said:
Picture driving a Prius on an 8 lane highway with a 200mph speed limit and no other traffic. Now increase the speed limit to 400mph. That's about how useful PCIe 2.0 is to any 8800 class GPU (or any modern day GPU for that matter).

Oh and in case you were wondering, PCIe 2.0 is fully backwards compatible with PCIe 1.X.


thats exactly the case.
February 20, 2008 8:12:11 AM

homerdog said:
Picture driving a Prius on an 8 lane highway with a 200mph speed limit and no other traffic. Now increase the speed limit to 400mph. That's about how useful PCIe 2.0 is to any 8800 class GPU (or any modern day GPU for that matter).

Oh and in case you were wondering, PCIe 2.0 is fully backwards compatible with PCIe 1.X.



You are assuming that todays graphics cards can go faster than 200mph top speed, so the 8800 series GPU will have to move over to the slow lane. Your logic is flawed, want proof >>

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/479/3/ :bounce:  :bounce: 

Also worth mentioning is that the 8800 GT is fully PCI-Express 2.0 compliant. Not at all important though as 16GB/sec bandwidth over PCI-Expess 2.0 is not something this card will even remotely use.

More proof >> In order to compensate, PCIe 2.0 has modified the power standard. The previous 6-pin 75W connector has now been retired, moved instead to an 8-pin 150W connector (see the Inquirer for a picture). Bus speeds have also increased to 5Gbps, meaning that a 16x card can now potentially pull up to 16Gbps. Of course, current cards are a long way from even maxing out the PCIe 1.1 interface, so this is much more of a theoretical improvement.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/01/16/PCI-E_2_announc... :bounce:  :bounce: 
February 20, 2008 12:01:56 PM

You misread me, I'm saying PCIe 2.0 is useless for today's cards. Unless you know of a Prius that can go 200mph I'd say my logic was sound :D 
February 20, 2008 1:12:57 PM

systemlord said:
It doesn't matter if you get PCI Express x16 motherboard or a PCI Express x16 2.0 motherboard. That is because there is no card in existence that uses the PCI-express 2.0 spec, may be compatitible but thats it.

I agree with the first 1/2. Either will work, there aren't any noticeable differences between PCIe 1.x and 2.0 yet.

What do you mean "...there is no card in existence that uses the PCI-express 2.0 spec, may be compatitible but thats it." That's not true! It runs on the spec, it just doesn't give any measurable benefit yet. The cards need to catch up to the available bandwidth now. :) 
February 20, 2008 4:08:08 PM

gwolfman said:
I agree with the first 1/2. Either will work, there aren't any noticeable differences between PCIe 1.x and 2.0 yet.

What do you mean "...there is no card in existence that uses the PCI-express 2.0 spec, may be compatitible but thats it." That's not true! It runs on the spec, it just doesn't give any measurable benefit yet. The cards need to catch up to the available bandwidth now. :) 


ahhh. perfect answer for me. nice and simple for a person who doesnt know that much about computers :)  does anyone know what PCI Express x16 2.0 video cards are gonna be noticed?
February 20, 2008 9:38:22 PM

Quote:
Now why couldn't you have said that the first time? So you saying, driving a Prius on an 8 lane highway with a 200mph speed limit and no other traffic. Now increase the speed limit to 400mph = 16x PCI-e 1.1, right?.

Well the Prius on an 8 lane highway example isn't going to stand up to much scrutiny, but my point was that increasing the speed limit from 200mph to 400mph is equivalent to moving from PCIe 1.X to PCIe 2.0.

The problem with my example is that a single car can only utilize one lane of traffic, whereas a GPU can take advantage of extra PCIe lanes to increase bandwidth. A Prius won't go 4 times faster on a 16 lane highway than it will on a 4 laner, but a 16x PCIe link is 4 times faster than a 4x link.

Edit: Wait, where did your post go systemlord? I'm confused :??: 
September 21, 2008 5:34:44 PM

Let me make sure I am understanding this right. PCI E x16 is able to work on a board that is comparable to 2.0 X 16 but not the other way around. So a card that is 2.0 x16 will not work on a PCI E 16 board right?
September 21, 2008 9:55:50 PM

Wow, nice thread resurrection. And that Prius analogy needs some re-tooling...
yankneck said:
Let me make sure I am understanding this right. PCI E x16 is able to work on a board that is comparable to 2.0 X 16 but not the other way around. So a card that is 2.0 x16 will not work on a PCI E 16 board right?

No, it works the other way around as well. A PCIe 2.0 graphics card will work in a PCIe 1.x slot. I'm doing it right now :sol: 
September 22, 2008 2:21:19 AM

Ok Thank You
September 23, 2008 7:31:58 AM

so PCIe 1.1 x16 is able to transfer data up to 4GB/s right?
and what are today's cards limitations? 4850 for example? what parameters do I check to calculate up to what speeds it can transfer data?
September 23, 2008 12:38:31 PM

complexxL9 said:
so PCIe 1.1 x16 is able to transfer data up to 4GB/s right?
and what are today's cards limitations? 4850 for example? what parameters do I check to calculate up to what speeds it can transfer data?

You're overthinking it, just feel comfortable with the knowledge that you will not be limited by a 16x PCIe 1.1 slot.

Just FYI, a 16x PCIe 1.x slot can deliver 4GB/s in both directions for a theoretical limit of 8GB/s.
March 29, 2009 10:25:47 PM

Hey i just bought a crossfire 2 with an amd athalon x2 any ways the graphics card worked fine in my old system but it doesnt fit in the new pci slots any reason besides the fact that they want you to upgrade and if that is the case will an ASUS radeon hd 3450 256mb gddr2 pci-e 2.0 x16 hdcpwork in there I read your post about the pci 16 / 2.0 and i under stand the fact that it is more or less a fact of building a vid card to increase copasity but im just wondering if this will work and if it is an ok vid card thanks Lynx.
April 5, 2009 4:51:45 AM

i have a XFX 9600GT 512MB GDDR3 and an XFX 680i LT SLI mobo.
i was wondering whether my mobo is PCI-Express2.0 compatible because my card is.
May 6, 2009 4:44:51 AM

Will a 4850 x2 2GB card be bottlenecked by a motherboard with a PCI Express x16, and really need a motherboard with a PCI Express 2.0 x16?

May 8, 2009 8:54:00 PM

so boards that have 1.0 pci express x16 slots will accept the new 2.0 pci express x16 cards?
May 8, 2009 8:56:04 PM

Yes...its just a voltage increase in 2.0 from 1.0...thats all
September 9, 2009 1:26:56 AM

I've got a question: I have a PCI express mobo, I just bought a GeForce GTX 260.... how much am I losing out on (if I'm losing anything) by using this PCIe 2.0 card on a PCIe 1.1 motherboard?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 14, 2010 9:41:50 AM

:D  if your gonna get a motherbourd stick with the pci-ex2.0x16 graphics slot they may come at a little more money but this is the way the markets going so why buy a motherbourd that could be outdated in a few years meaning you cant upgrade the graphics if need be............ the only difference in the pci slots is the amount of power it gives. So while we are going throught this transitional period most cards at present are compatible with the x16 and the 2.0x16 but there will come a day when its just 2.0 due to power ...And even in ten years we will probably have the 3.0 just cos graphics cards are getting more and more demanding on the amount if power it needs...... basically its lamen terms :o 
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2011 10:04:17 PM

hey this may well annoy people if it pops up after so long but this seemed relevant to me and i want to get it all straight
is it just a matter of data transfer speeds as in:
a) a pcie 2.0 x16 can transfer faster than a normal pcie x16
b) a pcie 2.0 x16 gpu will run in a normal pcie x16 but will not be at its fullest capacity

also i happen to have a foxconn a6vmx with a normal pcie x16 and was looking at a geforce gtx 470 9some number like that) which says pcie 2.0 in the spec. so if im right i could run this couldnt i just not as well as if i had a pcie 2.0 ...

ty for any help
June 15, 2011 2:37:18 AM

homerdog said:
Wow, nice thread resurrection. And that Prius analogy needs some re-tooling...

No, it works the other way around as well. A PCIe 2.0 graphics card will work in a PCIe 1.x slot. I'm doing it right now :sol: 



wow this post was confusing, yes im a noob, i think you answered my exact question but just to double check. if the mother board doesnt specifically say PCI express 2.0 but says PCI express its a 1.something, right? and a PCI 2.0 graphics card will run on it. Correct?...and the x4 and x16 designation is just the number of pins/size of the slot, correct?
June 29, 2011 2:14:12 AM

I have the same question, I think...

Can I use a newer PCI x16 2.0 Video Card on my older PCI x16 1x slot? (My Mobo is an ASUS P5B Deluxe)
November 30, 2011 2:07:16 AM

Quote:
hey this may well annoy people if it pops up after so long but this seemed relevant to me and i want to get it all straight
is it just a matter of data transfer speeds as in:
a) a pcie 2.0 x16 can transfer faster than a normal pcie x16
b) a pcie 2.0 x16 gpu will run in a normal pcie x16 but will not be at its fullest capacity

also i happen to have a foxconn a6vmx with a normal pcie x16 and was looking at a geforce gtx 470 9some number like that) which says pcie 2.0 in the spec. so if im right i could run this couldnt i just not as well as if i had a pcie 2.0 ...

ty for any help


Well this does not really make since because alot of video cards require its own power source. I have been out of the game for a while but i would have to say its alot like having a CPU that runs @ 1333 fsb but ur motherboard can only produce 800. Still runs just not @ peak performance.
December 15, 2011 2:24:52 AM

Can someone please give a simple yes or no answer (if they really know) I'm not a noob, and thought I had a pretty good understanding on this subject, until I came across this thread, with all the analogies and sarcasm. So how did you get a prius to go 200 mph?!? I couldn't even get my ranger past 140 when I made it run on propane lol. seriously though, my question is will there be any stability issue's with running a pcie x16 2.0 card on a standard pcie x16 mb, with the voltage difference and all? I know it's an old thread, and I'm sorry for being redundant, but I would really appreciate any help on the subject before I order a new card. It just seems a little confusing after reading some of the earlier post.
Thanks
December 15, 2011 2:40:01 AM

SP78 said:
Can someone please give a simple yes or no answer (if they really know) I'm not a noob, and thought I had a pretty good understanding on this subject, until I came across this thread, with all the analogies and sarcasm. So how did you get a prius to go 200 mph?!? I couldn't even get my ranger past 140 when I made it run on propane lol. seriously though, my question is will there be any stability issue's with running a pcie x16 2.0 card on a standard pcie x16 mb, with the voltage difference and all? I know it's an old thread, and I'm sorry for being redundant, but I would really appreciate any help on the subject before I order a new card. It just seems a little confusing after reading some of the earlier post.
Thanks


The answer is no, you wont have any issue running a PCI-E 2.0 x16 card on a PCI-E 1.0 x16 slot motherboard, they are all backward compatible.
December 15, 2011 6:12:11 AM

jacknhut said:
The answer is no, you wont have any issue running a PCI-E 2.0 x16 card on a PCI-E 1.0 x16 slot motherboard, they are all backward compatible.



Thank you jacknhut, I've ran a 1.0 card in a 2.0 mb before with no problem, but this will be my first time running the other way around. I thought it would be ok but with the lower voltage was not sure, and it wouldn't have been the first time thinking cost me money haha. I feel more confident in trying to get another year or so out of this old mb.
Thanks again
August 23, 2012 11:09:53 PM

awesome, made my day laughed so hard.

homerdog said:
Picture driving a Prius on an 8 lane highway with a 200mph speed limit and no other traffic. Now increase the speed limit to 400mph. That's about how useful PCIe 2.0 is to any 8800 class GPU (or any modern day GPU for that matter).

Oh and in case you were wondering, PCIe 2.0 is fully backwards compatible with PCIe 1.X.

!