Abit modest overclocking with heatpipe mod

deadlyc

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
I finally done buying all the parts I need to build my first PC. All the times for researching on the parts, waiting for the parts, and looking for the best deals may be gone. Now all I need to do is build the PC and hopefully you guys can help me out.
Here are the basic specs:
Abit IP35 Pro
Q9450
Evga 8800GT
Corsair XM2 DHX DDR800 - 8GB
Corsair HX620
Four WD 640 GB (sata)
Xigmatek 1283
Samsung DVDRW (sata)
Lancool K10
I work with computers at work, so I have a good understanding of the basic. I only want to overclock the Q9450 to 3.2 GH with FSB of 400 MH. I read that there are issues with the PWM temperature and some of you guys mod the heatpipe. I realize that members in here does extreme overclocking, but in my case, it’s just a moderate overclocking. My question is that do you think I really need to do the heatpipes mod with the system I’m building? Thanks All.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I wouldn't think that a FSB of 400 would require modding the heat pipe. What kind of mod are you talking about? I am not familiar with how well that board OCs but anandtech got the FSB to 455 so I feel like 400 would be a snap for that board at stock setup.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3142&p=6

I would slap a fan on the NB/SB before doing anything to the heat pipes. Something else you can do is take the cooling system off, clean off the existing thermal compound, and then apply some high quality thermal paste to the chips in order to get better cooling.

If you do that and use a small fan on each sink, heat will never get the best of you with moderate OCs.

deadlyc

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Sorry, this is the link for the mod.

ttp://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2330347&postcount=751

I think it just a simple mod. It also involves applying new thermal paste and adding fan like you mention. thanks.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Haha, I though you were talking about busting out the torch and doing some metal work. Re-doing the thermal paste is a quick and easy task as long as the existing thermal compound isn't all dried up cementing everything together. Good luck!