Sign in with
Your question

4870x2 Water Block

Last response: in Overclocking
September 18, 2008 10:39:40 PM

Hey guys, seeing how my two 4870x2 are running real hot; i was wondering if the 4870x2 WB from DD are any good and if they are worth getting.

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=36...

More about : 4870x2 water block

a c 86 K Overclocking
September 18, 2008 10:42:53 PM

I don't have the 4870 x 2, I have used the 8800GT and the GTX 280 blocks from them. They work just fine. Good stuff.
Related resources
September 19, 2008 12:24:54 AM

Conumdrum said:
I don't have the 4870 x 2, I have used the 8800GT and the GTX 280 blocks from them. They work just fine. Good stuff.

I totally agree with Conumdrum. Good solid copper blocks with high quality machining. I use the 8800GTS block and it lowered my idle gpu temp from almost 50C to within 2C of ambient air temps!! That is a drop of at approx 20C (depending on amibient air temp). And it usually only goes up 5C under load!!!!

-ouch1
a c 86 K Overclocking
September 19, 2008 12:18:11 PM

PoorPlay, please stay away from anything Koolance. Others have discovered, buying a Koolance water connector, the promised non-corrosive nickle-plated plugs were steel and corroded the loop. Bad bad Mojo.

They are getting better, maybe even no more aluminum someday. (GAG) That said, many experianced WC folks have in their sig, "Friends don't let friends use Koolance" on other forums. It's that bad.

Don't do Koolance. There are 3-4 good WC manufactureers out there, Kool ain't one of them.
September 20, 2008 7:49:32 AM

I have 2 of these coolers from Koolance. They are Nickle Plated. Nickle doesn't rust. For the most part I agree with you Conumdrum to stay away from Koolance. I got these because they looked cool, and using (2) 4870 X2's in my system didn't want to have too much more additional sound and heat. There are reviews of other blocks for the 4870 X2 waterblocks that are better. There is only a handful of them atm, but it is a very good idea to get a block for these cards for they get very hot.

I don't understand that when I have these now there is about 20watts difference in load on the PSU less without the stock cooler. Do the coolers really use 10W of power on these cards?
a c 86 K Overclocking
September 20, 2008 12:04:23 PM

I'd say yes under load. Those fans on the cards really spin at incredible RPMS, thus the crazy noise. Also, at lower temps there is less resistance in the silicon (not much) so it doesn't have to work as hard.

Thanks yao, very good of you not to get all fanbio on me. I will say please check the plugs for corrosion, seems they didn't plate them. And in a review these blocks were pretty restrictive vs the other choices.

And WOW! you have a screamer with 2 of those cards, congrats.

September 20, 2008 4:11:13 PM

idk what you mean by fanboi? Could just one seal it with a water sealer lubricant to protect it from corrosion?
a c 86 K Overclocking
September 20, 2008 10:17:21 PM

Here is the Wiki explanation of fanboy (fanboi)

Fanboy (sometimes spelled fanboi) is a term used to describe any individual who is devoted to a single subject in an emotional or fanatical manner, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession.

And your not one of those.

I think Kool has replacement pieces you can buy now. Was a big discussion over at XS, showing pics of the rust etc.

It just takes one tiny tiny pinhole in any coating, anodized or plated on top of steel or aluminum to start the corrosion. XSPC blocks are nickle coated, but copper under that, so no corrosion in that case. DD and EVGA blocks are just copper. Their plugs/fittings are chromed brass, and brass isn't a corrosion issue either.

I'm not saying you should go screaming out and fix them asap, but something to keep in mind when yon maintain the loop.
September 20, 2008 10:36:30 PM

I try to keep an open mind. =]. I was looking at Urban Dictionary and found this meaning for fanboi, and wasn't too sure which one you might have been implying.

1. Alternate spelling for fanboy, generally implying youth
2. A hot, gay fanboy, usually young, or a twink
1. That Seth on the O.C. is such a fanboi!
2. I'm heading for the bars-- hopefully I'll pick up a cute fanboi.

I was like... umm... what is that supposed to mean.
September 22, 2008 4:00:36 AM

DD full cover blocks offer significantly less performance than GPU alone blocks such as the Swiftech MCW60 and the D-TEK FuZion GFX2.

But there are blocks that are full cover and offer extremely good performance (besting the MCW60 and tying the GFX2).

They're from a company named EK and it's their FC series.

Have a look here: http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/index.php?cPath=21_31_42

You can buy them at Performance-pcs or NCIX.com.

AWESOME BLOCKS! I should know I've been testing these suckers for quite a long time. I have a watercooling guide but it seems THG blocks it from appearing on here.
September 23, 2008 6:13:07 PM

Hey guys

Is there a non-fullcover block that supports 4870X2? I.e. the Fuzion GFX2..

regards
TuppenX2
September 23, 2008 8:33:20 PM

TuppenX2 said:
Hey guys

Is there a non-fullcover block that supports 4870X2? I.e. the Fuzion GFX2..

regards
TuppenX2

Yes and no.

The 4870X2 really needs a FC block to cool the electrical parts on the card as well as the GPUs. You could use a pair of Fuzion's but how will you cool the PWMs and Xfire chip? Air? At that point you may as well stay with the stock cooling. The EK blocks are really nice, high flow FC blocks.

"Friends dont let friends use Koolance" :)  They do have some nice stuff, but they need to be honest with their customers and admit when they are using steel, copper and aluminum mixed together. They are getting better due to pressure from users, but they have a ways to go.

a c 86 K Overclocking
September 23, 2008 10:48:20 PM

No one has put the DD and EK block head to head. DD has very good flow rates IMHO using their past records. Martin has tested some of these, here is the link. Pay close attention to the chart lower down showing comparisons between the EK and DD IONE block. DD beats it by a large margin.

http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/EK-FC-88-Gt-GTS-G92.htm...

And yes, you need THREE water blocks to WC that card properly if you don't go a FC block. The Xfire chip is a hot one too. Plus heatsinks for the PWN and ram chips. I don't know if there is a WC block that would fit the X-fire chip. I have only seen FC blocks on the forums I frequent.
September 24, 2008 4:25:12 AM

Conumdrum said:
No one has put the DD and EK block head to head. DD has very good flow rates IMHO using their past records. Martin has tested some of these, here is the link. Pay close attention to the chart lower down showing comparisons between the EK and DD IONE block. DD beats it by a large margin.

http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/EK-FC-88-Gt-GTS-G92.htm...

And yes, you need THREE water blocks to WC that card properly if you don't go a FC block. The Xfire chip is a hot one too. Plus heatsinks for the PWN and ram chips. I don't know if there is a WC block that would fit the X-fire chip. I have only seen FC blocks on the forums I frequent.

Uhhh,

That was a flowrate test.

My MAze 3 block has 10 times the flow rate of an Apogee GTZ... is it better? No... performance is dictated by a balance between flowrate and design (restriction can be good if it is caused by a jet impingement design or a design that allows water to stay over the heat source a tad long absorbing more heat).

You can do this by having the water slam into the blocks surface or by using a wave-like design.

a c 86 K Overclocking
September 25, 2008 7:58:55 PM

Elmo, umm, yes it was a flowrate test, thats what I said.

And umm, post me thermal tests between the two. Martin hasn't and I know of no others who are doing such test. Not someone has a EK and he got xxx vs a DD and xxx temps.

Nothing against EK, but there are other choices than EK. I do think EK looks better.

And yes, I do know about inpingment.

Send me your test page please, I'm interested.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2009 7:04:59 AM

i am running a i7 920 water cooler processor with 6gig and 2 4870x2 cards one is a revolution 700 with the hdmi connection the rev 700 is a hughe card to accommadate in a case and im struggling to keep them from melting under normal airflow of the original fans. Does anyone know what the best water blocks foor these cards are, iv been looking at the ccolance ones as the look great , or is it better to go for the copper blocks that look a bit more uglier. can anyone help. !!!!!! :o  :hello: 
a c 86 K Overclocking
January 24, 2009 4:08:14 PM

Best to go with brands that are well respected. Koolance, while okay performance, isn't real popular in the WC world due to missteps.

Danger Den, EK, XSPC. Danger Den is my choice. I's XSPC and EK that didn't supply built in standoffs and people would overtighten the cards, flexing them so good contact wasn't made, and turning the card into a $450 brick. Some did it wrong, simple mistakes and didn't check and double check.

DD has standoffs.

Linky, one of many, but the most recent.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21...
January 24, 2009 7:37:47 PM

1: u should have boughten a atomic 4870x2 if u want to water cool

2: ur warranty goes off when u switch it to water cooling.

3: read steps 1 and 2 again: D
a c 86 K Overclocking
January 25, 2009 5:17:48 AM

Also, make sure it's a reference GPU. If any component isn't in the same place as a reference card, your screwed. The WC guys use a supplied reference card to determine WC spots. Seen more than one $450 card get bricked due to that.

http://www.dangerden.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11071
Dunno if it was a ref card or not..... I'm a Nvidia guy, same applies to Nvidia too, some are non-ref.
!