Just saw this posted in another group, and liked it. Thought I'd
share it here, as some people in this group might enjoy it. Certainly
some posters here could stand to learn this.

--------------------------
Please, next time, think about the way you post. Many people don't
think
about this and put their reply at the top of their post, quoting all
of
the original post below it. Now take a look at this:

> Why is top posting so hard to read?
> > > What is one of the most annoying responses on Usenet?
> > When they top post.
In the English speaking world we read left to right, top to bottom.

If people do it the other way around, things will clear up instantly:

> > > What is one of the most annoying responses on Usenet?
> > When they top post.
> Why is top posting so hard to read?
In the English speaking world we read left to right, top to bottom.

The best response type is "in-line" posting, that is, remove all the
quoted text that does not apply to your response, adding your comments
in context underneath as you go.

The distributed nature of Usenet is causing that not everyone sees all
posts in a particular thread in the right order or or even at all. If
you make sure you put your reply in a top-to-bottom order, people will
be able to easily read through it from top to bottom.

Be sure to remove all excess quoted text though. There is nothing more
annoying than having to scroll down three pages of quoted text you
already read, just to read a two-lined reply ;-)

A more complete guide to posting to Usenet can be found at

The relevant section on good posting form is here
http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html#ss2.3
--------------------------

RagManX
http://www.gamingideas.com/ - think you can make a better game? Let's hear why.

Randy Graham's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
> Just saw this posted in another group, and liked it. Thought I'd
> share it here, as some people in this group might enjoy it. Certainly
> some posters here could stand to learn this.

Over at AGM, there was a guy the other day bitching because most
everyone was top posting and "When he was using BBS's, they top posted".
Nuts aint it.

--
Hellmark
-If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bullshit!

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:01:16 -0400, Polarhound <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote:

> I spent much more time running my own than calling other ones.. Hence I
> could post however I damn well pleased.

I never was able to run my own, but I was co-sysop on a few. I still
posted using inline quoting because it just made the most sense.

My point, however was that the argument that people top-posted on BBS's
is about as useful as a plastic vicar.

--
Troy

Troy's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:
> LOL. I used inline-quoting even when I dialed up BBS's.

When I used BBS's, I did inline or bottom posting too. I didnt really
see any that was top posted. Only started seeing that after AOL users
started to infect things.