Copy XP to new drive - is xxcopy alright?

I need to move XP to a new hard drive. I'm looking for a free and easy way
to copy the data over. Will xxcopy work alright with moving the files over?
19 answers Last reply
More about copy drive xxcopy alright

    Those other folks are cluelesss...XCOPY will copy over to another hd ALL
    Files,
    not just personal files,locked files system files all get copied.....Simply
    format
    the new drive set as slave on the same IDE cable as C: Once formatted,go to
    run,type:XCOPY C:*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r Agree to all in the DOS window,when
    its thru the transfer is complete.Only works with IDE deives not SATA or
    RAID.

    In news:1BE2FE1D-84C5-45EF-BD9B-1BFCCE332998@microsoft.com,
    Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> typed:

    > Those other folks are cluelesss...XCOPY will copy over to
    > another hd
    > ALL Files,
    > not just personal files,locked files system files all get
    > copied.....

    First of all, the question was about XXCOPY, not XCOPY.

    Second, as usual, you don't know what you're talking about, and
    you're wrong once again.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > Simply format
    > the new drive set as slave on the same IDE cable as C: Once
    > formatted,go to run,type:XCOPY C:*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r Agree to
    > all in
    > the DOS window,when its thru the transfer is complete.Only
    > works with
    > IDE deives not SATA or RAID.
    >
    > "DVL" wrote:
    >
    >> I need to move XP to a new hard drive. I'm looking for a free
    >> and
    >> easy way to copy the data over. Will xxcopy work alright with
    >> moving
    >> the files over?

    It will work well for your personal files. It is not capable of moving over
    a workable and bootable operating system as system files that are in use, or
    otherwise locked, will not be copied.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > It will work well for your personal files. It is not capable of moving
    > over a workable and bootable operating system as system files that are
    > in use, or otherwise locked, will not be copied.

    Thanks. What tools are available for backing up the entire drive and
    keeping it bootable on the new drive? I'm trying to avoid reinstalling
    windows -- my consumer PC only has a recovery CD so I can't install over my
    files to preserve my applications and settings if I reinstall with the cd.

    > Those other folks are cluelesss...XCOPY will copy over to another hd
    > ALL Files,
    > not just personal files,locked files system files all get
    > copied.....Simply format
    > the new drive set as slave on the same IDE cable as C: Once
    > formatted,go to run,type:XCOPY C:*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r Agree to all in
    > the DOS window,when its thru the transfer is complete.Only works with
    > IDE deives not SATA or RAID.

    Have you ever tried it? I have and it blows up in the Windows directory or
    in System or System32.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Have you ever made such a drive where you have copied as such the master
    drive? Did you boot from that drive. Was the operating system "totally"
    functional?

    Don't respond in your usual clipped and incomplete sentences. Give a
    "concise" report (1-2-3-4 etc steps) of how you claim to have done this,
    along with the results when trying to use the drive as a master to boot
    from.

    Then I will try it, yet again!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    > Those other folks are cluelesss...XCOPY will copy over to another hd ALL
    > Files,
    > not just personal files,locked files system files all get
    > copied.....Simply
    > format
    > the new drive set as slave on the same IDE cable as C: Once formatted,go
    > run,type:XCOPY C:*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r Agree to all in the DOS window,when
    > its thru the transfer is complete.Only works with IDE deives not SATA or
    > RAID.
    >
    > "DVL" wrote:
    >
    >> I need to move XP to a new hard drive. I'm looking for a free and easy
    >> way
    >> to copy the data over. Will xxcopy work alright with moving the files
    >> over?

    From
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/xcopy.mspx

    . Comparing xcopy and diskcopy

    If you have a disk that contains files in subdirectories and you want
    to copy it to a disk that has a different format, use the xcopy command
    instead of diskcopy. Because the diskcopy command copies disks track by
    track, your source and destination disks must have the same format. The
    xcopy command does not have this requirement. Use xcopy unless you need a
    complete disk image copy.

    Xcopy will "blow up" when it reaches the first open file!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    > Those other folks are cluelesss...XCOPY will copy over to another hd ALL
    > Files,
    > not just personal files,locked files system files all get
    > copied.....Simply
    > format
    > the new drive set as slave on the same IDE cable as C: Once formatted,go
    > run,type:XCOPY C:*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r Agree to all in the DOS window,when
    > its thru the transfer is complete.Only works with IDE deives not SATA or
    > RAID.
    >
    > "DVL" wrote:
    >
    >> I need to move XP to a new hard drive. I'm looking for a free and easy
    >> way
    >> to copy the data over. Will xxcopy work alright with moving the files
    >> over?

    At least this time he didn't give out dangerous information. It is only
    WRONG!

    --

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Those other folks are cluelesss...XCOPY will copy over to another hd
    >> ALL Files,
    >> not just personal files,locked files system files all get
    >> copied.....Simply format
    >> the new drive set as slave on the same IDE cable as C: Once
    >> formatted,go to run,type:XCOPY C:*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r Agree to all in
    >> the DOS window,when its thru the transfer is complete.Only works with
    >> IDE deives not SATA or RAID.
    >
    > Have you ever tried it? I have and it blows up in the Windows directory
    > or in System or System32.
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC
    > http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    Andrew E.

    Unfortunately, it does not leave the user with a working bootable drive..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    DVL <dvl@dvl.321.com> wrote in

    > "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> It will work well for your personal files. It is not capable of
    >> moving over a workable and bootable operating system as system files
    >> that are in use, or otherwise locked, will not be copied.
    >>

    > Thanks. What tools are available for backing up the entire drive and
    > keeping it bootable on the new drive? I'm trying to avoid reinstalling
    > windows -- my consumer PC only has a recovery CD so I can't install
    > over my files to preserve my applications and settings if I reinstall
    > with the cd.

    Symantec Ghost, PowerQuest Drive Image, the utilities that come bundled
    with some new hard drives...

    There are probably some good freeware ones, too - I've not tried these.

    "DVL" <dvl@dvl.321.com> wrote in message
    >I need to move XP to a new hard drive. I'm looking for a free and easy way
    > to copy the data over. Will xxcopy work alright with moving the files
    > over?

    Most new drives come with a CD that has everything you need to clone the old
    disk...

    Bobby

    From my reading, xxcopy will only copy a win9* drive to give a bootable
    result
    http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm
    Of course I could be wrong

    > In news:1BE2FE1D-84C5-45EF-BD9B-1BFCCE332998@microsoft.com,
    > Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> typed:
    >
    > > Those other folks are cluelesss...XCOPY will copy over to
    > > another hd
    > > ALL Files,
    > > not just personal files,locked files system files all get
    > > copied.....
    >

    > First of all, the question was about XXCOPY, not XCOPY.
    >
    > Second, as usual, you don't know what you're talking about, and
    > you're wrong once again.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup
    >

    > > Simply format
    > > the new drive set as slave on the same IDE cable as C: Once
    > > formatted,go to run,type:XCOPY C:*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r Agree to
    > > all in
    > > the DOS window,when its thru the transfer is complete.Only
    > > works with
    > > IDE deives not SATA or RAID.
    > >
    > > "DVL" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I need to move XP to a new hard drive. I'm looking for a free
    > >> and
    > >> easy way to copy the data over. Will xxcopy work alright with
    > >> moving
    > >> the files over?

    No, you're not wrong! But Andrew E certainly is.

    --

    message news:ucClI%23ilFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl
    > At least this time he didn't give out dangerous information. It is
    > only WRONG!

    :)

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 02:02:09 +0100, Richard Urban [MVP] wrote
    (in article <ez3jlSjlFHA.3780@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>):

    > No, you're not wrong! But Andrew E certainly is.

    Now you know why I call him "Andrew the Eejit"... ;o)

    What should we call you?
    http://tinyurl.com/az88m

    "Evadne Cake" <sarah.balfour@craigy34.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 02:02:09 +0100, Richard Urban [MVP] wrote
    > (in article <ez3jlSjlFHA.3780@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>):
    >
    >> No, you're not wrong! But Andrew E certainly is.
    >>

    > Now you know why I call him "Andrew the Eejit"... ;o)

    I use xcopy32 c: d: /s/h/r/c/k/y/q. Works 100% for win98 systems from a
    dos prompt.Doesn't copy the swp file, which gets rebuilt under boot. I
    seem to recall doing this with a win XP drive a long time ago but can't
    remember if it worked.......
    Anyway, I always use ghost from floppy now.Works 100% so long as you
    remember to flag 'copy mbr'

    --
    chartman
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    chartman <chartman.1t3zpn@pcbanter.net> wrote:

    >I use xcopy32 c: d: /s/h/r/c/k/y/q. Works 100% for win98 systems from a
    >dos prompt.Doesn't copy the swp file, which gets rebuilt under boot. I
    >seem to recall doing this with a win XP drive a long time ago but can't
    >remember if it worked.......
    >Anyway, I always use ghost from floppy now.Works 100% so long as you
    >remember to flag 'copy mbr'

    You were fortunate.

    XCOPY in Windows 9x has a tendency to change the short (8+3) names for
    files that use long file names.

    So a folder that had a short name of Micros~5 might end up with a
    short name of Micros~4 or Micros~6 on the copied drive. That will
    play hell with any and all registry entries that use the 8+3 file
    names.

    To see how serious the problem could be use Regedit on a Windows 98
    machine and search the registry for references to Micros~

    That specific problem does not occur in Windows XP because the
    registry does not use the 8+3 file names.

    But XCOPY is still not a desirable method for copying drives in
    Windows XP because the boot files and many of the other hidden system
    files will not be copied.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    DVL <dvl@dvl.321.com> wrote:

    >I need to move XP to a new hard drive. I'm looking for a free and easy way
    >to copy the data over. Will xxcopy work alright with moving the files over?

    Many new hard drives come with a utility disk that includes a disk
    cloning utility.

    If you did not get a disk with your new drive then you can download
    one free from the hard drive manufacturer's web site. Note that a
    copying utility from either the manufacturer of your new drive or from
    the manufacturer of your old drive will do the job for you. These
    utilities generally only require that one of the drives, either the
    source or the target, be from that manufacturer.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP