Restore disks to install windows?

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
I am going to build a gaming rig in the future when i have the money to, but windows 7 install disks are very expencive, but i already have a laptop with windows 7 AND all my programs. it constantly prompts me to make restore disks (then when i click yes without haveing a dvd in the tray it still starts the proses for some reason) so, if i got it to function properly and i made my 2 restore disks (it said it would take 2 disks for complete burn) could i use them to instal windows and my programs onto the new computer? would save me 130 or so dollars (if i could get it to work right) so it would be great if someone could confirm this.

Unfortunately it won't work... :(

1, it's illegal. Microsoft's EULA says you can only install a copy of windows on 1 computer unless you buy an enterprise edition.

2. When you create restore disks it takes a snapshot of the hardware on the system, When you run a restore, it checks to see if the hardware is the same. If it isn't it won't continue the install.

Sorry bud, but unfortunately you are going to have to get a copy of Windows :(

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
omay thanks for the info, i figured something like that since when you get a new disk you have to put in the code that comes i9n the box when you buy it. also ive seen people say they dont need an os because they already have one (say from an old compuyter idk) so i figured i may as well ask.

Windows 7 will likely be valid for the life span of 2+ builds. If you plan to build a new system, or upgrade the guts of your computer in 3-5 years, it's worth the extra cost to purchase the full retail version, instead of an OEM version. That will allow you to use that same disc, to install on both systems (though, not at the same time, per license restrictions).