Sign in with
Your question

how much amper?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 28, 2008 3:17:09 PM

hi guys,
can anyone tell me how much Amps is needed for these cards?
88gts512
gtx

3870x2

also-
if i SLI/CF do i need the double amps or not?

thanks...

More about : amper

February 28, 2008 8:38:18 PM

26 amps for the 8800GTS 512
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 29, 2008 5:59:29 AM

If you go to new egg and fish around a bit in the graphics card section you will probably find the info you are after under the specification tab, The reason i say fish is because not every make and model has power requirements listed but alot of them do.
Mactronix
Related resources
March 2, 2008 5:00:45 AM

crusoe74 said:

so i need that the 6pin in my PSU will have 26amps? coz i have 2x6PINS, each with 18 amps
March 2, 2008 5:36:32 AM

You need a single rail with 26a+. Never splice rails. Or am I not reading you correctly.
March 2, 2008 5:57:35 AM

z_dori said:
so i need that the 6pin in my PSU will have 26amps? coz i have 2x6PINS, each with 18 amps

1 x 6pin connection is all that's required. Total psu 12v amperage = 26+ amps
a c 164 U Graphics card
March 2, 2008 7:30:17 AM

Before this gets out of hand, let me remind some people of some things. First, there is no way in you know where that the GTS consumes 26A. The ENTIRE SYSTEM probably needs 26A, but not the card. If the card needs 26A, then two would take 52A, and the system overall would probably need more then 60A, which is more then most PSUs can output.

Second, whether its a "split rail" or a single rail, it probably doesn't make a hoot of difference. Most PSUs on the market generate the power for all rails at the same time, and use "tricks" to make it a multi rail system. For example,

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Quote:
While we're at it, this is a single 12V design for all intents and purposes. The wires go to two different solder points, but are connected together from there with jumpers. There is no OCP to separate them.

From reading that site, I've come to understand that most PSUs are like this.

So, my question to the OP is are you looking for entire system amps, or just what the card needs? I'd believe 26A for the system for the GTS. The GTX probably needs closer to 30A, same for the 2900. (The 3870 needs either 26 or 30A) The 3870x2 is probably happier with a bit more, but I'm not sure. Its less then two 3870's, but I haven't looked into it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you can't just add the numbers from a split rail PSU. If the two rails say 18A, you don't have a 36A PSU. (or if one is 16 and the other is 18, it can't output 34A) Each rail INDIVIDUALLY can output that much, but the supply feeding both can't. On the PSUs label, it hopfully says something underneath the 12V rails like 400W max, or 360W. Divide that number by 12 to see how much it can really handle.
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 2, 2008 7:32:46 AM

Lets try and clarify it a bit.
The total power output on your 12v rail or rails needs to b 26amps, not just for the card this is the req for the whole system.
If you have a couple of cables spare in the system that have 6pin conectors on them then thats what they are for (the graphics card). As you have two it is likley that your PSU is able to run SLI.
If you post the make and model of your PSU we can let you know this for definate.
Mactronix
March 2, 2008 8:03:16 AM

4745454b said:
Before this gets out of hand, let me remind some people of some things. First, there is no way in you know where that the GTS consumes 26A. The ENTIRE SYSTEM probably needs 26A, but not the card. If the card needs 26A, then two would take 52A, and the system overall would probably need more then 60A, which is more then most PSUs can output.

Second, whether its a "split rail" or a single rail, it probably doesn't make a hoot of difference. Most PSUs on the market generate the power for all rails at the same time, and use "tricks" to make it a multi rail system. For example,

Quote:
While we're at it, this is a single 12V design for all intents and purposes. The wires go to two different solder points, but are connected together from there with jumpers. There is no OCP to separate them.

So, my question to the OP is are you looking for entire system amps, or just what the card needs? I'd believe 26A for the system for the GTS. The GTX probably needs closer to 30A, same for the 2900. (The 3870 needs either 26 or 30A) The 3870x2 is probably happier with a bit more, but I'm not sure. Its less then two 3870's, but I haven't looked into it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you can't just add the numbers from a split rail PSU. If the two rails say 18A, you don't have a 36A PSU. (or if one is 16 and the other is 18, it can't output 34A) Each rail INDIVIDUALLY can output that much, but the supply feeding both can't. On the PSUs label, it hopfully says something underneath the 12V rails like 400W max, or 360W. Divide that number by 12 to see how much it can really handle.

"Before this gets out of hand, let me remind some people of some things."

I replied:
Total psu 12v amperage = 26+ amps

Is this not clear enough for you?
Get off your high horse
a c 164 U Graphics card
March 2, 2008 9:19:02 AM

High horse? What makes you think I was talking to you Mr. self centered? Look at the very first reply by Crusoe who said

Quote:

I don't know about self centered people like yourself, but I thought some people might be under the impression that the card itself takes 26A. I've seen people post that before, I just wanted to remind people thats not the case. I may or may not have been talking to you, I'll let you decide that for yourself. (If I wanted to talk to you, I would have sent you a PM, or said 18A + 18A = 22A)

For those out of the loop, KPO has a vendetta against me, I hope this doesn't get out of line.
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 2, 2008 12:21:48 PM

Gotta say I dont know what may or may not be going on with you two, All i can see is a post that was posted at about the same time i did (think we crossed) Trying to clarify the situation so as to be sure the OP wasnt getting confused.
By saying "let me remind some people of some things" I beleive 4745454b was deliberatly being non specific.
Personally I come here to help people. From an outsiders perspective the thread does read as though kpo6969 has read and taken the post 4745454b made the wrong way.
This kind of thing really helps no one least of all the OP. Lets keep it friendly guys.
Mactronix :) 
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2008 1:56:19 PM

z_dori said:
also-
if i SLI/CF do i need the double amps or not?

(1) You need to have enough TOTAL +12V amperage to cover ALL the +12V requirements.
This includes extra +12V draw from overclocking.

(2) For the graphics cards alone you'd need ~approximately something like this:
3870 ~81W = 6.75amps
3870CF ~193W = 16amps

88GTX ~132W = 11amps
88GTX SLI ~294W = 24.5amps

[:wr2:4] You should also NOT EXCEED the +12V Amperage draw from any one +12V rail of a "+12V multi-rail" PSU.

(source: http://www.atomicmpc.com.au)

March 2, 2008 2:23:05 PM

Would someone be kind enough to correct the thread title?
March 2, 2008 4:05:05 PM

guy u dont need to fight...
i know that the 26+ was for all he sys.
i have a simple 550w psu with 12v x2 18a each. with 2 6 pin.
can it hold a gtx with 3hd & e2180@2.5?
by extreem calc i got something like 340W.

to change he title to what?

thank u all
a c 164 U Graphics card
March 2, 2008 4:37:49 PM

Quote:
i have a simple 550w psu with 12v x2 18a each.

As I mentioned earlier, this PSU can not output 18A on both rails at the same time. If you have a cheap one, it can output probably about 22A combined. If its a newer/higher end one, it can probably do 26-29A. If the total output is 22A, you can't run a GTS/GTX, or the 3870x2. If you tell us exactly what PSU you have, we can tell you what your best video card would be.

Something to think about, if you have a lower PSU, you can get the 9600GT. Not very power hungry at all, but within spitting distance of the 8800GT. Something to keep in mind.
March 2, 2008 4:47:26 PM

this is it.
it says max 12v rails combaind 400W
400/12=33A
it says it can hold a good rig, even SLI.
i think it was reaten before 8800 was out. but i think it can hold a GTX.
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 2, 2008 5:14:20 PM

Ok so you have done the math and you get 33A.
I just checked on new egg and a EVGA Superclocked GTX has a min spec of a 450 watt PSU with 28A, I did check others and one was 400 watt with 30A either way it would seem you are good to go.
Mactronix
March 2, 2008 5:17:22 PM

thanks man!
i think i'll be getting one with a striker 2 extreem tomorrow...
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2008 5:24:13 PM

"it says max 12v rails combaind 400W
400/12=33A
it says it can hold a good rig, even SLI."

What is IT?

Do you mean the card? Because the PS (which we don't know what kind, model etc.) you indicated in the previous post as being 550Watts.

It's kind hard to be specific with help if you (the poster) aren't specific with the parts you're describing.
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 2, 2008 5:47:29 PM

buzznut said:
"it says max 12v rails combaind 400W
400/12=33A
it says it can hold a good rig, even SLI."

What is IT?

Do you mean the card? Because the PS (which we don't know what kind, model etc.) you indicated in the previous post as being 550Watts.

It's kind hard to be specific with help if you (the poster) aren't specific with the parts you're describing.

The 12 volt rails have 400 watts /12 = 33A was what the op was saying The whole PSU is 550 so that leaves 150 for the other rails. Well thats how i read it anyway. But you are right though a simple its this make/model and is this wattage would have been easier.
mactronix
a c 164 U Graphics card
March 2, 2008 5:58:15 PM

We still don't know what model. I'm thinking its not the greatest thing in the world, and the OP is embarrassed about saying what it is? I'm actually thinking now that its probably fine. If it comes with two 6pin PCIe plugs, then its supposed to be able to run either one high end card, or two cards in SLI/CF. This means its probably fine for an 8800GTS/GTX.

Go ahead and buy the card, but once you have it up and running, use a program to look at your voltages. (speedfan, PC probe, etc) As long as the rails look good, keep using it. If one or more rails is off, get a new PSU.
March 2, 2008 6:28:38 PM

4745454b said:
We still don't know what model. I'm thinking its not the greatest thing in the world, and the OP is embarrassed about saying what it is?

are you kiddin me?!
i sent you a link with a review of my model.

a c 130 U Graphics card
March 2, 2008 6:43:00 PM

@ z_dori
Some times posts get crossed i have had posts turn up on my email five mins after i sent a reply only to find they have been put into the forum above my post. Its no big deal but can cause misunderstandings.
Mactronix
March 2, 2008 7:38:58 PM

4745454b said:

Quote:

FYI the GT eats 18-22a alone. The GTX eats more. I think you are under estimating the power reqs for these cards. They may run on less but its highly likely you will be loosing performance or opening up a can of possible errors. I am not guessing I am talking about the readings I get and that the venders get when these devices are monitored.
March 2, 2008 7:48:32 PM

thanks man.
i plan in a few months to get 1Kw PSU, but for now i want to have a good VGA card.
i'll think i'm going to get a gts512 coz of the purevideo HD, the G80 has pure video (no HD), i'm using my pc as a media center too, so it's kind of important.
i'm going to SLI it with the 1KW PSU than the pref of gaming at 1920 will be nice...
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2008 8:20:35 PM

G92 GTS SLI - a high quality 750W will be more than enough.
"80 PLUS Certified" or efficiency greater than 80% would be nice.
Examples: Corsair 750TX & 60Amps +12V or Silverstone OP750 & 60Amps +12V
March 2, 2008 8:46:41 PM

z_dori said:
hi guys,

3870x2

also-
if i ...CF do i need the double amps or not?

thanks...

My factory overclocked MSI isn't at Newegg anymore, but one of the others, the Vision Tek has this in the specs:

Quote:

550 Watt or greater power supply with two 2x3-pin PCIe power connectors required (750 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for dual ATI CrossFireX).
For enhanced performance with ATI Overdrive, a power supply with one 2x3- pin and one 2x4-pin PCIe power connector is required
1GB of system memory

The HIS has this:

Quote:

550 Watt or greater power supply with two 2x3-pin PCIe power connectors required (750 Watt and four 6- pin connectors for dual ATI CrossFireX)
Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products

Any of the certified PSU's would have enough amps on the 12 volt rail for this card. ATI has a single card list and a Crossfire list. For overclocking the 3870x2, you'll need to use the 8 pin connector. The PSU's on the list identify the type and number of connectors. The Antec Neo 650 I got has one six pin and one 6+2 pin, providing 8 pin power to my factory overclocked card.

a c 130 U Graphics card
March 2, 2008 8:57:45 PM

@jerseygamer

Dont know where you are getting those readings from but you are way out.
Tell you what never mind what readings you get link me to a site that says the GT uses 18-20 amps.
Bet you cant because i just finished looking and most say its about 80Watts.

Quote from Xbit labs
The Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB resembles the GeForce 8800 GTX with its power consumption: the external +12V line has a higher load than the internal line (in the PCI Express slot). The +3.3V line has almost no load at all as opposed to the G80-based cards. The card consumes less than 1W of power from it in every mode, but this may be a peculiarity of the non-standard power circuit developed by Gainward.

Note how economic the GeForce 8800 GT is in 2D mode. When the GPU and memory frequencies are increased, the power consumption of the GeForce 8800 GT doesn’t grow up much: the consumption is 7.4W higher at the frequencies of the Gainward card than at the frequencies of the reference card in 3D mode. The difference is no bigger than 1.2-1.6W in 2D mode.

So, the Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB is quite an economical graphics card with a power consumption of 78W in 3D applications. This is far below the power draw of Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX/GTS, let alone ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT/Pro. The GeForce 8800 GT 512MB is even more economical than the previous-generation flagship GeForce 7900 GTX. It is now clear why Nvidia decided to develop a single-slot cooler for the new card, yet the power draw of 80W seems too high for such risky experiments. There are rumors that new batches of GeForce 8800 GT will be equipped with an improved cooler with a larger fan.

March 3, 2008 3:25:37 AM

WR2 said:
(1)

[:wr2:4] You should also NOT EXCEED the +12V Amperage draw from any one +12V rail of a "+12V multi-rail" PSU.

(source: http://www.atomicmpc.com.au)

Is that even possible to do with modern 12V multi-railed PSU at even a bare minimum of 18A on all of them? Using a GPU for example, is there something that draws more than 18A from a single connection? Anything encroaching on 18A usually has two 6 pin adapters like the GTX for example.
March 3, 2008 3:36:30 AM

guys did someone saw a bench of GTS512 SLI?
i didn't yet...
i want to compare it to GTX SLI & GT SLI coz this is the final rig...
March 3, 2008 3:51:51 AM

z_dori said:
i didn't yet...

I got too annoyed filtering for the G92 SLI tests with the GTX so I gave up. That is one thing that makes me PO about benchmarks. They will do one setup in SLI but nothing else so you run into this lack of SLI/xfire results to compare.
a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2008 2:05:01 PM

SpinachEater said:
Is that even possible to do with modern 12V multi-railed PSU at even a bare minimum of 18A on all of them?
If a "modern multi-railed PSU" means one you can buy today then yes its possible. Not for an average users system, more likely to happen to an "enthusiast system". One who expects high overclocks on his CPU, loads up his case with multiple hard drives, case fans, CPU cooler, multiple OC'd GPUs - DVD burner and maybe a Blu-Ray drive, has more than the usual number of USB devices like gaming joystick, throttle, TrackIR4, etc., you probably get the idea. An OC'd Q6600 B3 pushed to 3.4Ghz might need ~175watts or nearly 15amps all by itself. And that same rail is also trying to give the PCI-e slots up to 60-75watts of power each.
In the power supply mentioned above the dual 18amp rails might not be able to deliver 18amps of power. There are only 400watts worth (33amps) available for both - or 16.5 if you have a balanced load. If you have one rail loaded up to 18amps that leaves you with 15amps on the other. 15amps is still 180watts but then your PSU may not be able to deliever peak power at heavy loads, a common problem with budget PSUs.
March 3, 2008 5:19:49 PM

I see what your point was now. You would have to be completely oblivious if you were running the "enthusiast" system you talk about with a 450W PSU but I think I know some people that would try it :) 
March 3, 2008 6:01:03 PM

z_dori said:
i didn't yet...
This thread is another that is all over the place.

First, post the complete specs of all of the hardware that you are going to be running, with links if possible. That will negate the need for a crystal ball.

Second, I have never heard of the Glacial PSU, I suspect it's junk but that is just a guess. The review was a joke and can't be relied on. How much for it? I'm sure there are better alternatives.

Post some concrete information and you will get far better responses.
!