NEWB with no idea...please help

lations

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
hey guys, i have a feeling this is one of those questions that is so simple nobody will bother responding, but i would really appreciate some help here.

i want to buy a new computer and my big concern is if i get 2x velociraptors (150 GB each) in RAID 0, is it possible to back that up with an external hard drive?

since the external hard drive wouldn't be identical (like 7200 speed and 1TB total) would it even work...and does it matter that there is Raid 0 in play (would that make that it impossible to make backup on an external drive?)

clearly i have no idea what i'm doing, and any help would be great because i'm pretty excited to order a computer and this is the last issue i need to iron out. Thanks

steckman

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Yes, you can use an external hard drive to backup your data. It doesn't matter that RAID is involved. All that matters is that your backup drive (1TB) is the same size or larger than your RAID array (300GB).
If you are looking for a good software program to assist with your backups, I use GoodSync. There are a number of other options available though, including a free one from Microsoft.

steckman

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Yes, you can use an external hard drive to backup your data. It doesn't matter that RAID is involved. All that matters is that your backup drive (1TB) is the same size or larger than your RAID array (300GB).
If you are looking for a good software program to assist with your backups, I use GoodSync. There are a number of other options available though, including a free one from Microsoft.

lations

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
thanks a lot for responding man...huge help. so i assume when they send a computer with 2x 150GB drives and 2x 1.5 TB drives i would typically be able to control how the Raid will work and have 300 in raid and the other two free standing?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
It all depends how you ordered your machine. Did you order with RAID0 pre-installed? Then I would expect it will be done with the 2 smaller drives in the array - maybe you even specified that? Or, if you ordered with nothing installed, you should have 4 separate drives to start with.

Next question: did you order with an OS (for example, Windows) pre-installed? Or, are you intending to install that yourself on an empty machine?

If you're starting with an empty machine and will set up your own RAID0 array before installing Windows, it will be relatively simple. Your machine's mobo should come with manuals. Look especially for one that covers the details of RAID controllers. I am assuming you are planning to use the built-in RAID control system on the mobo. It is available through the BIOS Setup screens. You should read any documentation provided on this. If it seems brief or missing, look for a complete manual on a CD with the mobo, or for a reference to a website from the RAID system manufacturer (for example, NVIDIA) from which you can download a complete manual. RTFM, as they say here, so you understand how it works. Then you can use the tools to create your RAID0 array from whichever pair of drives you choose.

Your next step will be how to get Windows to install. Again, read the manual fully for this. Some systems, in creating the RAID0 array, will reserve a tiny hidden Partition on one of the RAID0 drives and push Windows in there to boot from, then load RAID drivers and run from the array. The more common system, though, has you use utilities to make a "Driver Disk". Then when you start installing Windows there is an early place where it prompts you to push the "F6" key if you need to load special drivers from this disk before Windows can proceed. Be aware that Windows Install typically presumes this process will use a 3½" floppy disk in a drive - do you have one? If not, hopefully the install instructions will help you figure out this step.

On the other hand, if your do NOT have the RAID0 array pre-installed, but Windows IS pre-installed on one small disk (the C: drive), look carefully in the RAID setup instructions for a way to create the RAID0 array from the two small drives WITHOUT losing everything installed on the C: drive. I hope there is a way. Otherwise you would need to create the RAID0 array and then re-install Windows from an install disk as above.

lations

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
wow man, thanks for all the info. my system will have windows installed and they say the 2 smaller drives will be in raid0 already. my main concern was if i could control the raid of the other drives to possibly put them in another raid configuration separate from the 2 smaller drives (possibly for later, especially if i get a third 1.5 TB drive). From how i am understanding you, there should be a raid controller in bios that will help me with all this (as long as it is possible i take it).