Sign in with
Your question

Is this Computer worth $300??????

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 16, 2008 10:50:11 PM

The Case, O/S, Motherboard and Soundcard are all brand new.

I really think I could get $300 for the whole setup....

Here are the Specs

1) Black Mid Tower Case
2) Ultra X-Connect 500watt Modular PS
3) ECS Elitegroup Mainboard NFORCE3-A (V1.0A)
4) AMD Athlon 64 3000+ w/heatsink & Fan
5) 2x 512mb Corsair XMS PC3200 DDR 400Mhz
6) XFX 6600GT 128mb GDDR3
7) Soundblaster Audigy Plantinum
8) Maxtor Diamondmax 9 Ultra/133 7200rpm 80GB Harddrive
9) Lite-On DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
10) Lite-On DVD-RW w/lightsribe Drive
11) 1.44mb Floppy Drive
12) Thermaltake 80mm Front Exhaust Fan

-has dual dvi out
-has s-video out
-has 4usb rear/2usb front

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2
Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Most Manuals and Driver CD's

LOL, anyone interested in buying it?

More about : computer worth 300

a b à CPUs
March 16, 2008 11:19:30 PM

Maybe $250, mainly because of the software, PSU, and GPU.
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2008 11:23:54 PM

$50 for the cables alone :D 
Looks nice at least.
Related resources
March 17, 2008 12:09:42 AM

EXT64 said:
$50 for the cables alone :D 
Looks nice at least.

Thank You
March 17, 2008 12:12:01 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Maybe $250, mainly because of the software, PSU, and GPU.

LOL.... Home w/sp2 is still better then Vista....
:pfff: 

curious whats wrong with the power supply. Its modular and 500watt... Maybe Ultra isn't the best quality but offers a better warranty then my Corsair 620HX
March 17, 2008 12:29:44 AM

zloginet said:

curious whats wrong with the power supply. Its modular and 500watt... Maybe Ultra isn't the best quality but offers a better warranty then my Corsair 620HX

You misunderstood. He's saying the value is good on the psu and gfx.
If it comes with cds for bothe OSs it might even fetch $350. It's biggest drawback is the mobo.
It may be a little behind the times, but it's still an okay system for most users.
Looks nice too.
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2008 12:51:33 AM

^Exactly.

zloginet said:

The Items said are +, not negative.
March 17, 2008 1:11:30 AM

Thanks for the input, I sure did misunderstand. LOL... I guess I read it just a tad bit to fast huh...

O/S is brand new and all cd's are there.

Thanks for all the comments guys
March 17, 2008 2:03:25 AM

No it is not worth $300.

For not much more than $300 I can buy a similar new computer from any big box store. Why would I risk $300 buying the computer from you?

Sell the parts off individually, you will get more bucks for your effort.
March 17, 2008 2:22:39 AM

StevieD said:
No it is not worth $300.

For not much more than $300 I can buy a similar new computer from any big box store. Why would I risk $300 buying the computer from you?

What is it worth then my friend???????
March 17, 2008 2:33:30 AM

I think you could get 300.00 for it. If you have a someone that is not necessarily into gaming it would make a good computer for a home office. I sold 2 similar systems last year one with a Socket 939 3000+ and one with a Socket 754 3000+ for 350.00 and 300.00. It worth whatever someone will pay. Your best bet is to find someone local, the cost of shipping would put a dent in your profit.
March 17, 2008 2:58:09 AM

Just include a free game or something and post optimal settings for some games.
March 17, 2008 11:12:57 AM

thats basically all you can do is sucker people into paying 300 for it. The motherboard would not be worth much and with the used parts really drive the price down. That would just be a internet and e-mail computer today and i can go on places like tigerdirect and get a system for $250.00 canadian or less that can do that.
March 17, 2008 1:01:41 PM

This would be a great system for someone looking for something relatively cheap that would play games like WoW. For instance, a couple years ago, when my fiance started hogging my PC to play my WoW account, I had to go and build her a machine so I could actually play. I bet there are a bunch of people out there that need a second PC for their house, for kids or significant others.

Newer games will struggle a bit, but you don't spend $300 to get a PC to play the newest games.
March 17, 2008 1:40:28 PM

My advice:

Keep what you can for you new built, and sell the other parts on ebay.

Socket 939 mobo and cpu still sells good on ebay if you sell them
separatly.
March 17, 2008 1:41:58 PM

Some guy just offered me $100... jeez.. I would really hate to let this go for $275 or $250.. I just paid $89.99 for the Windows XP disc..
March 17, 2008 1:45:43 PM

tonyp12 said:
My advice:

Keep what you can for you new built, and sell the other parts on ebay.

Socket 939 mobo and cpu still sells good on ebay if you sell them
separatly.

Hmm.... the brand new ECS mobo is a socket 754. If it was a 939 that would rock... I could drop in a much much higher CPU. Prolly would keep it then.

My new build is right below this sentence. No parts are gonna help my friend.

Thanks everyone for helping. I love these fuggen forums. I will prolly drop the price to $265. That should be better as I don't wanna rip a non-geek off LOLOL.
March 17, 2008 1:58:42 PM

Your best bet would be to try and EBay it. You could probably get $250 to $300 there.
March 17, 2008 2:25:44 PM

I would definitely keep everything but the MB/CPU, and Vid card. Those old Maxtor drives are only slightly slower than the newest ones. If you find the right buyer, you may get $50 for the MB/CPU, and $40ish for the vid card. Your local Craigs List would be a good option.

You could actually use the ram in a new Socket 775 "transition" board such as the Asrock. Couple that with a E2160, OC it, and a new vid card, and you would be back in business. Would not break any 3D mark records, but would be a good boost.

You would surely come out slightly better than selling the old rig and building all new.
a c 127 à CPUs
March 17, 2008 2:28:58 PM

zloginet said:

Um XP Home sucks. Pro was better. And Vista is not as bad as people say. I like it.

$300 would be the max. Although that what the cheap PC stores here do. A guy I did some work on his PC got one from a shop here in 2005. Paid $700 bucks for a 700MHz Celeron, 128MB Ram, 20GB HD and a cheap CD burner. He got sooooo ripped.

But the best way is to try EBay and set a limit you want to hit first such as $250. I am sure you will sell it for about that.
March 17, 2008 2:43:58 PM

home is just a lesser of pro in the networking area
March 17, 2008 2:58:29 PM

^^ Exactly. It does add a built-in backup program but better ones are available for a free download.

It's also a common misconception that XP Pro runs faster, but it runs at the same speed. Plus, XP Pro uses a little more RAM for those enterprise networking services that home users have zero use for.

OP: I also think $250 would be a fair price.
March 17, 2008 3:16:43 PM

I would say that $250.00 would be reasonable. You could always donate it and get a tax write off. Give it to a friend as a gift. I have used extra computer components to build a friend a computer before, free of charge. Set it up as a gaming server and invite some friends over for a LAN party.
a c 127 à CPUs
March 17, 2008 3:37:25 PM

carver_g said:
^^ Exactly. It does add a built-in backup program but better ones are available for a free download.

It's also a common misconception that XP Pro runs faster, but it runs at the same speed. Plus, XP Pro uses a little more RAM for those enterprise networking services that home users have zero use for.

OP: I also think $250 would be a fair price.

I would tend to agree but from my experience XP Pro did run faster than XP Home. And I used both. But then again I always got the corporate edition which had a few useless things removed and would run with very little ram after first instal. It was nice.

As for everything else, yes $250 would be a good price.
March 17, 2008 4:00:34 PM

$250-$300 would sound somewhat reasonable.

The problem is that Dell is killing the value of older computers.
The offered is now expired, but this was running for a few days earlier this week......
(Note: No dedicated Video Card, but you could sell the monitor and buy a cheap card.)

Dell Small Business has Vostro 200 Slim Tower with Intel Core 2 E4500 Processor and 20" LCD for $359 with Free Shipping. Thanks toade.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo Proc E4500 (2.20GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800FSB)
Genuine Windows XP Home Edition or Vista Home Basic
Dell 20 inch Widescreen E207WFP Analog Flat Panel Display (includes DVI)
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz - 2DIMMs
Single Drive: 16X (DVD+/-RW) Burner Drive
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
1 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 1 Year NBD On-Site Service
10GB for 1 Year Online Data Backup by Dell DataSafe
1 Year Dell Automated PC Tuneup
Good upgrades to consider:
March 17, 2008 4:08:01 PM

Socket A
One gig of RAM
Single core
Old Video Card

Not really. I don't think I'd pay that much for it.

Nice rig though.
March 17, 2008 4:54:12 PM

You could get 250-300 I think. i just sold a similiar computer for $300 locally to soemone.
Here are the specs of the one i sold:
AMD Athlon 64 4000+
1GB DDR-400mhz G.Skill
DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D 939
EVGA nVidia 7300GT 256mb
250GB Western Digital SATA HD
All in a similiar gaming case
March 17, 2008 4:54:42 PM

jimmysmitty said:
I always got the corporate edition which had a few useless things removed and would run with very little ram after first instal.

The only thing removed is the requirement for activation. Otherwise, it's functionally identical.
March 17, 2008 5:08:06 PM

Unless you have an established side business of selling new/used systems and supporting them, I think you'll have a hard time getting anywhere near that price. I feel you pain though, I always have systems like that to unload; it aint easy. With KB, Mouse, 17 CRT, speakers and some warranty/support, I would get maybe $250 selling that locally now.

Ebay, shipping kills ya on a whole system, and there are no shortage of them. Another problem, it's not worth much pieced apart either. The gig of PC3200 and 6600GT AGP are worth the most for selling. The OS (with product key sticker and CD) would be valuable for you to reuse, but you may have a hard to selling them used. If you just bought Windows XP now to sell the machine, that was IMO a mistake. You could have pieced it and sold it, but now you need to recap that $90 too.

Anyway, Not saying you won't get $300, I'm just always in your position and don't expect to recoup that much for such a system. It's frustrating I admit, but the longer you hold out trying to get $300, the less it's worth. Better to sell it cheaper now, then be force to sell it for even less 6 months from now. I'd be much better off if I had always done that myself. :( 
March 17, 2008 5:53:16 PM

OP, you could throw a tv tuner card in there and have yourself a nice little HTPC. It isn't the most beautiful case to have sitting next to your TV, but you can hide it away in a cabinet until you can get a more suitable case. GBPVR is great, free, DVR software.
March 17, 2008 5:57:42 PM

This is not an auction site folks !!
March 17, 2008 6:18:53 PM

pauldh said:
Unless you have an established side business of selling new/used systems and supporting them, I think you'll have a hard time getting anywhere near that price. I feel you pain though, I always have systems like that to unload; it aint easy. With KB, Mouse, 17 CRT, speakers and some warranty/support, I would get maybe $250 selling that locally now.

Ebay, shipping kills ya on a whole system, and there are no shortage of them. Another problem, it's not worth much pieced apart either. The gig of PC3200 and 6600GT AGP are worth the most for selling. The OS (with product key sticker and CD) would be valuable for you to reuse, but you may have a hard to selling them used. If you just bought Windows XP now to sell the machine, that was IMO a mistake. You could have pieced it and sold it, but now you need to recap that $90 too.

Anyway, Not saying you won't get $300, I'm just always in your position and don't expect to recoup that much for such a system. It's frustrating I admit, but the longer you hold out trying to get $300, the less it's worth. Better to sell it cheaper now, then be force to sell it for even less 6 months from now. I'd be much better off if I had always done that myself. :( 

CraigsList is always a good option for such sales.
No Listing Fee or Shipping Charges.
You can also show folks it works.

I don't think it's worth $300, but you still may be able to sell it for that.
March 17, 2008 8:05:06 PM

Yes, I totally agree with you about craigslist for all those reasons.
March 17, 2008 8:57:56 PM

Been trying craigslist since I posted this topic.. I have it down to $265... I didn't buy the O/S for this computer as I just thought I would include it with the computer to complete its package and create a bigger price tag.
March 17, 2008 10:08:26 PM

yeah dude, I'm selling a system with a gigabyte mobo that is still worth $70 new, an AMD 3500+ AM2, a 450-Watt PSU.... hey what do you know? The rig is in my sig, fancy that. I'm selling that for like $260. There's still a lot of upgradability in my thing. Pretty depressing seeing that I bought it for like $700 total.
March 17, 2008 10:33:03 PM

doomsdaydave11 said:
yeah dude, I'm selling a system with a gigabyte mobo that is still worth $70 new, an AMD 3500+ AM2, a 450-Watt PSU.... hey what do you know? The rig is in my sig, fancy that. I'm selling that for like $260. There's still a lot of upgradability in my thing. Pretty depressing seeing that I bought it for like $700 total.

You got me beat. I've got a better proc (I believe) but you've got the better video card. We both are in desperate needs of upgrading. Damn money.
March 17, 2008 11:22:59 PM

zloginet said:
That Ultra X-Connect is a tier 5 PSU a.k.a. junk. Unless they will warranty all of the other parts that will likely get fried when the PSU blows up, then the warranty is of no real value. Your 620HX is a far far better PSU.
March 17, 2008 11:41:47 PM

^ I understand that.... Its also $100 less... I trust it way more then some and its a lot of ps for the money. Trust me, I know corsair is better. But ya know what... they didn't make power supplies at the time I bought the Ultra and on top of it, the Ultra was the nicest Modular on the market. They did a great job and it still works and the warranty covers anything.

This is not a compare to my new system thread and I completely understand what I have except what someone might pay.
March 18, 2008 2:21:21 AM

I am glad you understand, based on the questions that you posed in the post I quoted I didn't think you knew better. I find it hard to believe that the Ultra would cover any parts that are damaged from the PSU failure, whether the warranty claims that they would or not. I got the feeling that you thought that the Ultra's warranty being better than the 620HX had a bearing on its relative quality, or anything for that matter.

So, I guess you are no longer curious about what's wrong with the Ultra X-Connect, which should not be confused with their higher end models.

By the way, they still don't make PSUs. As per a previous post from XMSYellowbeard:

Quote:
Official Corsair Tech Support. If You Need Help, Just Ask.
Just to be clear,the OEMs that build our PSUs are:

HX520 = Seasonic
HX620 = Seasonic
VX450 = Seasonic
VX550 = CWT (Channelwell)
TX650 = Seasonic
TX750 = CWT
March 18, 2008 2:32:15 AM

zloginet said:
home is just a lesser of pro in the networking area

Also you do not have the same flexibility when it comes to permissions in home. This is where XP pro really shines over home IMO.
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2008 6:19:40 AM

You could put linux on it and have a decent file server.....waste not want not!
That's what I'ld do with an old box like that...
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2008 8:44:22 PM

^Exactly what I was going to say. Just add a little more HDD space and make it in to a game server or some other kind of server.
March 19, 2008 9:49:12 PM

zloginet said:
Been trying craigslist since I posted this topic.. I have it down to $265... I didn't buy the O/S for this computer as I just thought I would include it with the computer to complete its package and create a bigger price tag.

Unless you really know what you're doing, buying new stuff is never a good way to increase the price of old stuff. On CL, you'll see a lot of people throw pirated XP or linux on boxes that they're selling because they know they'll never get a premium for the OS license.

If you have a Fry's nearby, and if the computer wasn't very old, it might make sense to buy something like cheap RAM or a cheap mobo/cpu combo and tack that price on, but it's risky.

If I were you, I'd keep the license, and throw linux on it and sell it for $165. Sorry to have to break the news to you...
March 19, 2008 10:40:34 PM

I think you might have better luck parting it out. There are lots of hobbyists and PC builders out there looking to pick up a random video card or power supply but who don't necessarily need a complete computer. Plus they are usually willing to pay pretty well for a part that they might need right away to fix a broken computer etc.

You could list individual parts and prices and offer a discount if someone buys more than a single part.

Also, if you sell it in parts you won't have to worry about supporting it. If you sell it on Craigslist to a non-technical user and they load it up with spyware they are going to want you to fix it or try to get their money back.

Good luck!
March 21, 2008 1:41:03 AM

StevieD said:
No it is not worth $300.

Damn!, chill out, he was just asking a question, but i agree and disagree, for the hardware, specifically the cpu and cpu, i would say 200 dollars tops, but that set up is beautiful, so if i saw that i would pay the 300 dollars, that look great,make me want to organize mine better. That being said, I just sold a barbones with a asus m2ne mobo, a overclocked x2 5600, and black themaltake soprano case, and a 600 watt rosewill psu for 300 dollars, i felt lucky i got that much, so you can see 300 is kind pushing it, we all take losses for a better system.
March 23, 2008 4:18:14 PM

^^^^ thanks man... I ended up selling the computer for $250 to my father with me being tech support and full warranty. I thought it would work well for him and my little sister for the next 2 to 3 years. All they need it for is e-mail, very light gaming, and pretty much programs like i-tunes and etc.
!