1st time builder please critique my build

rodorado

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
My first time posting on the forum here, and thanks in advance for any help. I'm looking to build a PC for gaming, as well as some multimedia work (Photoshop) and probably word processing. I would like to play new games like CoD4 and Crysis on reasonable settings at 1680 x 1050, and most games in the near future.
It is also important to me that i can upgrade my computer over time, which i think i have reflected in my choice of case and motherboard. Possibly to a yorkfield when i've saved a bit, or add some extra hard drives. This is what i've chosen...

Motherboard Asus - P5K Premium/WiFi-AP
Case Antec 900
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E2160 (OC'ed to around 3ghz)
RAM 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum Dual Channel
Graphics Card EVGA 8800GTS 512MB (G92)
Hard Drive BARRACUDA ES 7200.2 250GB 32MB 3.5 SATA/300 7200RPM
Optical Drive Samsung SH-S202N/RSMN DVD Writer
PSU Corsair HX520W Modular PSU
OS Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2b

(Already own a monitor)

After I build my PC im planning to research and buy some extra's, such as a Sound Card, Fan Controller and extra Fans and mabye a Tv Tuner. I know that my PSU is overkill for the system but i've found a good deal locally and want the upgradeability. Also, my local computer shop has recommended the E2160 as he has overclocked it to 3.2ghz on stock cooling, so I want to have one of these in my system until I justify spending on a Yorkfield. They're quite a lot cheaper! I think my motherboard will support a Yorkfield when i decide to upgrade. I also may purchase a better performing Graphics card in the future, so will my Motherboard support any new releases? (Nvidia 9xxx)

Will these (bits) all work together? Any reccomendations are also appreciated.

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
You could save money on the PSU and go with an Antec NeoHE 550w if you wanted, it'd still be enough to power your rig.

ALso if you wanted to save some money on RAM you could take a look at G.Skill's 2x1gb kit (same as what you picked, ddr2 800)

Other than that things look good, case is a matter of preference once you're in that price range anyway.

Good luck with your build :D

Here's what I'd do and save you some $ now and have more later to do your upgrades:
CPU - e2160 is fine, especially since your going to OC to 3 ghz.

GPU - 8800gts 512mb (g92) at the minimum, since you want it to last. This also runs cooler than the 8800gt and also out performs it for not too much more.

Memory - I'd stick with at least 2x1gig of DDR2 800mHz CAS 4 RAM. This type of ram allows good OC's and is still pretty cheap. I like Corsair/Crucial/GSkill/Patriot.

Mobo - I'd stick with a p35 based mobo. Gigabyte's DS3L/DS3R or Asus p5k's or Abit's IP35's would all do well. Even the $100 mobo's are plenty for most systems and the added savings can be put into a better GPU or whatever.

PSU - I'd go with Corsair hx520w or PCP&C's 610w Silencer. Both are about $100 and are quality units. These are also SLI/Xfire capable, but I don't think your going to need to do that.

Case - I'd go with an Antec 900 or Cooler Master 690 case if I were you. Both are very roomy and keep things pretty cool (which is important when your OC'ing). Both of these cases are usually pretty cheap and the added savings can be used for upgrades on other parts.

rodorado

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Thanks for the help Pous and Iunyone.

Iunyone

I think i will change to the Corsair hx520w PSU, simply because it is modular and I think I will find that convenient. Also, I am undecieded about the cases. The Antec 900 is a good case for cooling as I have read, but so is the Stacker 830. I do like the removeable motherboard tray in the Stacker, as well as the door that can have its hinges switched to either side. The Antec 900 seems much better value, but I can afford the Stacker 830. It just depends how much im willing to spend.
I will also switch to the 8800gts g92, because as you said, the cooling is better.(and card is faster)

LOL!! :)

The Antec 900 is a good case for cooling as I have read, but so is the Stacker 830. I do like the removeable motherboard tray in the Stacker, as well as the door that can have its hinges switched to either side. The Antec 900 seems much better value, but I can afford the Stacker 830. It just depends how much im willing to spend.
I see your reasoning, I just would rather save the $130 or so and put that towards other parts, like maybe the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro CPU HSF for $25. But case selection is very personal, so you can decide. I'm just trying to inform you of other options to consider. Your the one buying the parts, so you ultimately are the one with the final decision.

mlaporta

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
This is a great mobo if you don't need RAID and from the looks of your items you don't seem to be going that route: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L

Also these are better hd's with 32mb of cache:

Seagate Barracuda ST3250310NS ES.2 250GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
or
Seagate Barracuda ST3500320AS 500GB 7200.11 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

pongrules

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
If that guy told you he OC'ed that processor to 3.2 on stock cooling, he's totally BSing you or he's in danger of frying his processor. I'd have to see that to believe it - have him send you some proof. In any case, for serious OCing it's a good idea to get a better cooler than a stock cooler.

As for playing COD4 and Crysis at your resolutions, just know that your choice of vid card will require you to play at medium or lower settings. Not sure there is a single card solution out that will play those two games at the highest settings at your resolution. So, if that's a goal of yours, go with the Antec 900 and save money for a newer vid card when it comes out, or make sure you can go SLI.

If you need to go SLI, the 500 watt solutions won't do the trick. Do yourself a favor and go with a 600 watt or higher solution and stick with a modular design. Once you've gone modular, you'll never go back.

Go with the Antec 900, it's cheaper than the Stacker.

rodorado

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
pongrules , I went into his shop asking about this processor and he got his computer out in front of me. He took the side off to show me the system, and it had a stock intel heatsink. He then booted it and it showed
"E2160 at 3.21Ghz" all in front of me. I did look and think WTF , but I completely agree that he's in danger of frying it. Thanks for clarifying.I will definetly get a better cooler than stock for mine, probably a Freezer 7 Pro(seems to be solid).

I'd be happy playing Crysis at medium setting, as I bet it sure beats playing it on low with a x1600. Thats what im using now and it aint pretty (literally).

I've decided to go with th Antec 900 as everyone's said, because after a bit of research it seems to be a nice case for the money.

mlaporta

What are the issues with a raid array? Are any raid arrays going to work with it, in case I did want to set one up? Thanks for the HD advice, will go with the 250 gb drive.

Thankyou all for the help.

mlaporta

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Not too sure of RAID, though I have heard many people talking against it. One way to go is 2 hd's - 1st for OS & Applications and 2nd for Swap File, Games, Video, mp3's, Data, etc and jusy make DVD backups of an image of your OS\Applications and Data files.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
If your crazy like me you would spend $300 on a case that will last many many years, Silverstone TJ09.

img3394tn7.jpg

By systemlord at 2007-11-14

image2dw2.jpg

image3ux2.jpg