Sign in with
Your question

Hard disc failure

Last response: in Storage
March 21, 2009 8:40:32 PM

Running xp pro service pack2. I installed 2nd hard drive. Western Digital 160g. It was running fine. Then it "dissapear" from my computer. I found it with device manager. If i trie to open it i get message:" E:\is not accessible. The wrong diskette is in the drive. Insert (Volume Serial Number:)  into drive E:\". Please some one help, i need to retrieve the date on this diskin any way. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Thank u.

More about : hard disc failure

a b G Storage
March 22, 2009 5:41:55 AM

Did you allocate the new HD in disc management?

Is there a conflict with the drive in the device manager?
March 22, 2009 12:32:46 PM

what is the interface of your hard drive? turn off your computer and check the cable and the power of your hard drive.
Related resources
March 22, 2009 5:15:38 PM

Yes, properties state that the device is working fine. And help and support cant help me either. I cant reinstal driver because there is no driver.
March 22, 2009 5:19:05 PM

its a slave drive. changed cable and power point. still the same problem, i used this 2nd h/d only as n storage space. no os. was formatted with xp and worked fine before this problem.
a b G Storage
March 23, 2009 5:14:08 AM

Under disc management in the device manager, you see 2 HD's?

HD's don't need any specific drivers, so that isn't an issue.

You may want to try changing the cables. That's an easy first step.
March 23, 2009 5:31:07 PM

aford10 said:
Under disc management in the device manager, you see 2 HD's?

HD's don't need any specific drivers, so that isn't an issue.

You may want to try changing the cables. That's an easy first step.

i see 2 HD's. But the second drive got no size. cables was changed, even tried on other computer with same results!
March 23, 2009 5:49:52 PM

Assuming that all of your power and data connections are FIRMLY in place there are only two things that you can do,,, 1,look at the hdd with fdisk select 4 for full partition info and 2, get the wd dlgdiag utility put it on a floppy or cd/dvd and let it examine the hdd,,but given that you tried it on another computer with less than satisfactory results,,you may be snookered..
The other thing that you might consider is to go to WWW.Majorgeeks.COM ,,and look under data recovery maybe there is something that might be of use to you..:) 
a b G Storage
March 23, 2009 8:25:59 PM

It sounds like ur HD bricked.
!