HD Tune Results, Extreme Slowness

Username2324

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
So as I have said before here, my 1 TB Caviar drive is really slow, so I finally ran a benchmark on it, the results posted below:
hdtest.jpg

As you can see the drive doesn't want to read faster than 2.9 MB/s which is EXTREMELY SLOW, considering the drive is suppose to read around 200MB/s.

The drive has always been slow, the only explanation I have is that when I first got it, I tried to put it in RAID 0 and failed, could this have caused this? If I wipe the drive and try a fresh install will that help?

Could I send it back to WD and maybe they could fix it?

eduardor2k

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I had the same issue with my hard disks that i use to download stuff, those hard disk, suffer a lot, because downloading a lot of files at the same time, makes the hard disk work a lot, I think the hard disk is trying to position the head on the sector, but can't do it on the first attemp and must retry a lot of times, making the transfer rate very low and cpu usage high.

Fix: Buy a new HDD or return yours if it's still under warranty.

Please download this aplication and post an screen with all your HD data:

http://www.ntfs.com/disk-monitor.htm

Hope this helps.

PS: Sorry for my english

Username2324

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
hdtest2.jpg

This test says both drives are in good condition, but I'm inclined to go with the other test as it explains the slowness of the drive, my 500GB backup drive speeds were much closer to the listed values on WD site (90MB/s, 110MB/s burst) so I am in the process of putting Windows on it to use as my primary drive until I get my TB situation figured out.

Username2324

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
Last night I decided to format my backup 500GB drive and install Windows on it. This morning I plugged my TB drive back in but I am running Windows from the 500GB, I ran the HD Test again and I was quite surprised by the results of the TB drive:
hdtest3.jpg

As you can see it is now performing at specification speeds, I can only assume that there was something in the installation of Windows on it that caused this problem. I think I will continue to run off the 500GB as my primary drive even it is a little slower instead of having to find another drive to backup my 600GB worth of files, wipe and reinstall Windows on the TB drive.

Thanks for all the help

P.S. Results on the 500GB drive
hdtest4.jpg

Username2324

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
Interestingly enough, I booted back onto the TB drive, ran the test, and its fine now. Everything is faster, last night it took over an hour to extract a 4GB file, now it takes 5 minutes.

This has happened to me before, my 500GB failed to boot, that's why I bought my TB drive, once I got Windows on my TB drive I plugged my 500GB into it, Windows ran a test, and like magic I could boot off the 500GB again.