DVR without the monthly fee?

Anyone know if there is a DVR that I can buy without the monthly
subscription fee and set up charges to record TV shows onto the harddrive?
I heard that only a few manufacturers were making such devices, but I
haven't been able to find which ones.

Thanks!

Windows XP Media Center Edition can do this without any monthly fee.

See here for information
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/default.mspx

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Humpfries" <humpdy85@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know if there is a DVR that I can buy without the monthly
> subscription fee and set up charges to record TV shows onto the harddrive?
> I heard that only a few manufacturers were making such devices, but I
> haven't been able to find which ones.
>
> Thanks!

I should have been more clear. I'm looking for a stand-alone DVR to record
TV shows without the monthly fee. I want the TV shows to be recorded
internally on the DVR harddrive, not my computer.

Thanks.

"Gary Tsang" <gtsangDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
> Windows XP Media Center Edition can do this without any monthly fee.
>
> See here for information
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/default.mspx
>
> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>

> "Humpfries" <humpdy85@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone know if there is a DVR that I can buy without the monthly
>> subscription fee and set up charges to record TV shows onto the
>> harddrive? I heard that only a few manufacturers were making such
>> devices, but I haven't been able to find which ones.
>>
>> Thanks!

And why are you asking this on a Windows XP news group? How do you feel it
is relevant to anything with any version of Windows?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

>I should have been more clear. I'm looking for a stand-alone DVR to record
>TV shows without the monthly fee. I want the TV shows to be recorded
>internally on the DVR harddrive, not my computer.
>
> Thanks.
>

> "Gary Tsang" <gtsangDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
>> Windows XP Media Center Edition can do this without any monthly fee.
>>
>> See here for information
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/default.mspx
>>
>> --
>> Gary Tsang
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>>

>> "Humpfries" <humpdy85@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Anyone know if there is a DVR that I can buy without the monthly
>>> subscription fee and set up charges to record TV shows onto the
>>> harddrive? I heard that only a few manufacturers were making such
>>> devices, but I haven't been able to find which ones.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

stan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC, BenQ, LG, Lite-On, Mustek, Philips, Pioneer,
Samsung, Sanyo, Sharp plus many more all make Standalone DVD recorders with
inbuilt hard drives. Standalone DVD recorders with hard drives have been
around for several years. Pick up one of the Sunday sales ads from Best
Buy, Circuit City, etc and you'll find them. Even Walmart sells them.
The only difference between the typical DVR provided by some cable companies
is that most standalone DVD recorders do no have but 1 tuner so they can
only record 1 show at a time but all have the capability of burning DVD's.

"Humpfries" <humpdy85@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know if there is a DVR that I can buy without the monthly
> subscription fee and set up charges to record TV shows onto the harddrive?
> I heard that only a few manufacturers were making such devices, but I
> haven't been able to find which ones.
>
> Thanks!

Do I have to pay a monthly fee using those DVD recorders with the internal
harddrive to record TV shows?

"Stan" <ohmygosh@wowspam.com> wrote in message
> Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC, BenQ, LG, Lite-On, Mustek, Philips,
> Pioneer, Samsung, Sanyo, Sharp plus many more all make Standalone DVD
> recorders with inbuilt hard drives. Standalone DVD recorders with hard
> drives have been around for several years. Pick up one of the Sunday
> sales ads from Best Buy, Circuit City, etc and you'll find them. Even
> Walmart sells them.
> The only difference between the typical DVR provided by some cable
> companies is that most standalone DVD recorders do no have but 1 tuner so
> they can only record 1 show at a time but all have the capability of
> burning DVD's.
>
> "Humpfries" <humpdy85@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone know if there is a DVR that I can buy without the monthly
>> subscription fee and set up charges to record TV shows onto the
>> harddrive? I heard that only a few manufacturers were making such
>> devices, but I haven't been able to find which ones.
>>
>> Thanks!

stan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

It's no different than using a vcr, of course there are no fee's.

> Do I have to pay a monthly fee using those DVD recorders with the internal
> harddrive to record TV shows?
>
> "Stan" <ohmygosh@wowspam.com> wrote in message
>> Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC, BenQ, LG, Lite-On, Mustek, Philips,
>> Pioneer, Samsung, Sanyo, Sharp plus many more all make Standalone DVD
>> recorders with inbuilt hard drives. Standalone DVD recorders with hard
>> drives have been around for several years. Pick up one of the Sunday
>> sales ads from Best Buy, Circuit City, etc and you'll find them. Even
>> Walmart sells them.
>> The only difference between the typical DVR provided by some cable
>> companies is that most standalone DVD recorders do no have but 1 tuner so
>> they can only record 1 show at a time but all have the capability of
>> burning DVD's.
>>
>> "Humpfries" <humpdy85@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Anyone know if there is a DVR that I can buy without the monthly
>>> subscription fee and set up charges to record TV shows onto the
>>> harddrive? I heard that only a few manufacturers were making such
>>> devices, but I haven't been able to find which ones.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

thank you for the info.