A benchmark that matters: Take the Hulu Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
How much CPU power is needed to surf the internet? With flash becoming evermore ubiquitous in this age of high speed multimedia, can a single core CPU still keep up? Based on my experiences with one up-and-coming free TV website, Hulu.com, I have my doubts:

It's amazing to see that flash video can be so cpu intensive. Full screen flash video over at hulu.com uses on average 90% of both cores on a Pentium D 805 at 3.1 GHz. Resolution is 1280x1024. At stock 2.66 GHz the video is jittery all the time. The D 805 may be slow compared to modern CPUs, but it's still a little crazy to think that overclocking any dual core is necessary just to play fullscreen flash video over the internet. Even at 3.1 GHz, there is still occasional lag/dropped frames/fuzzy frames during scenes with very fast action shots. Firefox 2.0 was the browser used.

I would like others to try Hulu (it's free to the public now). Play a video fullscreen and post what your CPU usage and how the video looked (smooth or choppy, occasional dropped frame, etc.). I hope to get enough people responding for a good comparison. I especially want to know if any single core CPUs can keep up. I think the screen resolution is a big factor, so be sure to post your screen res, and also state what browser you're using, to see if there may be a difference between firefox and IE.

On a final note, we see benchmarks on this site all the time. How many frames in a game, how many 3Dmark points, how fast can it encode, etc., but this test of CPU strength is based in reality. After all, if a CPU can't even handle the internet, what's the point of all the other benchmarks? Flash video may not be a problem for most of us on this board, being enthusiasts we like to run some of the latest and greatest hardware, but what about our parents, siblings, and friends? Can their computers handle it? If you were to build someone you know an entry level system, how much CPU would they need to ensure a rich internet experience? Please, post up your results people. The forums are getting boring. Thanks. :)

Video not available in your region...BOOOOOO

Ohhh well MCE recorded it for me :p
nothatitbugsmelz6.jpg

It is something to do with the drivers for ATI. After 8.0 and up I have had the same problem(have a HD2900Pro 1GB). To fix this simply right click on the YouTube video or flash video and select settings. Then uncheck "Enable Hardware Decoding". This should do it as it has worked for me. Hope they get it fixed soon though.

I went wo Hulu.com and watched the latest Famil Guy at full screen in IE7 on Vista @ 1280x1024 and my CPU would peak at 13% when loading then stay around 7% and was nice and smooth. This all on a Q6600 @ 3GHz but it had SpeedStep enabled and never got busy enough to go above the 2GHz SpeedStep mark. So it never went to 3GHz during that time.

This would also include Steam as it usually utilizes 3-4% of the CPU every now and then when it checks for updates and Windows update and Live One Care. But overall my Q6600 streamed that video like a champ :D .

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
come on people. It only takes a minute to try this.

My HTPC at 640x480 res can play full screen video without any stuttering or visual problems using a Pentium 4 2.4C. CPU usage is in the 90% range though.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I checked but I have a Q6600 @ 3G, not really useful information. X1950pro @ full screen with no stutter and a ridiculously small usage 4%-8% if memory serves.

I will check my old PC today. Couldn't as its my fiances and she is on it from when she gets home from work till she goes to bed. But its a Pentium 4 EE 3.4GHz with a X850XT PE so that might be interesting to see what it can do.

Just ran it on my old system and it was taking about 17-29% when full screen. Thats quite a bit for flash. My old system is a P4 EE 3.4GHz 2MB L3 cache and a X850XT PE so yea... have I said I love my Q6600 today?

brackj

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Hey tried it on mine,intel e4500,cpu, usage on fullscreen was 57%.I am using an old 6600gt till I can afford to upgrade,why is my percentage so high?

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I'm not sure what my %Usage is, but I've run Hulu on a second Screen of my E4300 @3.0Ghz and did not notice a lick of difference in system responsiveness. And that was with a number of VMs running in the background.

My 1.8Ghz Pentium M Laptop did not seem to notice a hit either, but I was doing less multi-tasking.

brackj

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
It,s a week old,Im using Asus PC probe to get my numbers.Nothing else running,anything else I should look at?

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

Weird that you only got 17-29% usage, when my D 805 at 3.1GHz is hitting up to 90% at times. What resolution you running at? What browser?

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far. I really appreciate it.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Hey guys, I just compared the CPU usage between firefox and IE, using the same video clip on Hulu. Firefox takes about 20 to 30% more CPU usage to render the same picture in fullscreen than IE.

In Firefox, CPU usage was 70% on my D 805 @ 3.1GHz. In IE, it was a bit over 40% for the same clip.

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
p3 733 512 Mb ram, voodoo 3 3000 nothing running, not even a virus scan installed - looks acceptable at 1024x768, but anything and i do mean anything happens - like a pop up, it'll studder.

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
interesting topic. I was just there for the first time and watched an snl skit. I heard the fan throttle up after a minute or so and checked cpu..at 30%. obviously software rendering, net or not, it will use alot.
I have 2.8e prescott, 1gb ram 3mbit inet connect
It only throttled my 2200 rpm cpu fan when I made the vid "popout" into its own page at a size I wanted.
to go there and just watch what they give is hardly anything to notice. My resolution desktop is 1280x960 (exactly a 4:3 monitor..) ati vid card.

Status
Not open for further replies.