Thermal Paste on Processor

Lord Gornak

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
So..., I have a Pentium D 805 processor that I plan re-using in my wife's computer which currently has a celeron D. There is a small bit of thermal paste on about 9 pins (not really pins as they are flat), can I use isopropyl alcohol to clean the pins?

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
be careful, I would put some of that isopropyl on a soft cloth, and gently do it, be very carefult hough, I can't remember if its one of those solvents u can use on the pin side or not...

I've doen it b4 on a socket 775 celeron, but again I can't remeber if it is a good diea, it worked for me, but I don't reccommend it until somebody with more understanding on this can speak up... :??: :??: :??:

Use isopropyl alcohol to clean the thermal paste from the pins, especially if it is a silver based compound. Otherwise, the CPU will most definately cause the system to short out and fail to run.

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006

The toothbrush is a great idea, I had never thought of that.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

oh hell yeah it is, I also hear it is rumored that the toothbrush can also get the plaque out from your teeth at the end of the day..but don't take my word for it.

:D

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006

:lol:

Is that what those things are for... I thought they were for scrubin' toilets!

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

lol, now i can use my toothbrush for cleaning the toilet as well, man i keep learning new things everyday, i hear all the germs u pick up with ur toothbrush helps in immunizing ur body b/c i hear it works like a crazy flu shot

:lol: [:kentuckyranger:1] :lol: [:kentuckyranger:1] :lol: [:kentuckyranger:1] :pt1cable:

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

is that where the term potty mouth comes from?

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

oh that's ok, its been proven that those don't exist, and that's a fact!

Knowledge is power, and knowing is half the battle!

[:kentuckyranger:1] :lol: [:kentuckyranger:1] :lol: [:kentuckyranger:1]