Are there 100% silver coolers?

yaoiboimi

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Top 3 in heat distribution metals are:

1. Silver
2. Copper
3. Gold

How come you never see silver used for other than thermal paste. Shouldn't there be silver for coolers too since it is the best at thermally distributing heat?

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
The difference in cooling ability between the two metals does not even come close to the difference in price between the two metals. Sure, silver is a slightly better conductor, but only by a slight margin, and the price of silver is nearly 50 times that of copper.

Now, I could see silver-plated copper, possibly. That would work. But more often than not, you will see nickel-plated copper, since it is much cheaper and almost as good. And nickel is less likely to tarnish and less likely to be subject to galvanic corrosion.

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
send your heatsink out for plating, plate the whole thing, then depending on condition of base surface you'll have to lap it, then take it for a spin.

Superhal

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
weight issue too, i heard. an all silver cooler (in say an S1283, TRUE, or Core Contact Freezer design) would be close to 2 kg, an all copper would be 1k, while the current copper/aluminum hybrid tips the scales at 600-700g. over 1kg is considered unsafe for a typical motherboard with a vertical mount.

Upgreydd

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Danger Den used to sell a few of thier water blocks (http://www.dangerden.com/store/home.php?cat=16) in silver. I think they stopped because the performance increase was pretty minimal, and the silver cost was too much to be worth it.