Thermaltake V1 CPU Cooler

rottentreats

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
A few nights ago I purchased a Thermaltake V1 on Newegg, and it should be arriving in a few daysl. My question is whether or not this would be a good cooler for my E8500? I really don't want to go with a big heavy heatsink with a bolt in kit, mainly because that is too much work for what I want to accomplish. A simple push-pin solution is all I needed, and this is what I got.

3510610202ol2.jpg

Oh btw, pics or my rig. (since then I have added a Sound Blaster XFi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro -

rottentreats

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
/edit - I don't plan to be doing any extreme overclocking. With the stock HSF I can hit 3.8 easy without increasing the vcore. I would like to hit 4ghz and I will be happy.

faster3200

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Well, as you know it isn't the best cooler on the market. That said it is better than the stock cooler and I have seen a few people use it very successfully who are really happy with it. It should allow you to hit 4.0ghz easily.

I don't know if i'd trust the push pins for something made of copper. but since you ordered it already there isn't much to do about that. just watch your temps. if you get sudden increases make sure to reseat it.

yaoiboimi

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I think the V1 cooler is a nice air cooler. It looks good on some boards like the Asus P5Q boards with all the copper already there, and the fan glowing blue is a nice touch. It is relatively to modern CPU coolers overall in the upper middle. Not the best, not bad. It can be slightly fragile because the fins can bend easy. It will take some patience putting this in the board if you have it mounted to the case. I put this in someones computer already that I built with a Q9450 with no OC it would run no higher than 58 degrees C at full load and fan set to max speed. I would liked to have seen this fan assembly not use the push pin design.

I give it a 8 out of 10 overall. But uniqueness I would give it a a 10. Thermaltake is coming out sometime a replacement of this cooler called the V14.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
It's not bad at all. Last year it was tops. I'd say it's in the top 15 and should serve you well. It will fit in there. I had one in an Antec 900, no problems and didn't have to crank the fan on high with a decent OC.

HINT: Never install a CPU HS without removing the mobo, especially if it has pins, this one does. You pretty much have to visually verify the pins came all the way through.