"Defence Turret"

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

"Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:40804952$0$25235$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
> On 16 Apr 2004 13:41:06 -0700, Simon wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has anyone noticed how many cheaters are playing Tribes? I decided to
> > observe some players today, who I presumed were using some kind of
> > cheat, and I was watching people who could seemingly see through
> > walls, who could snipe from miles away, etc.
>
> That's why "Defence Turret" was made and released:
> http://www.triben.de/dt_en.html

G'day!

Thanks for posting the "Defence Turret" link!

I have experienced such things (as the above cheating ) and wondered what
was
going on. I am downloading "Defence Turret" now. I think that tempting
as cheating may be for some people, it doesn't do anything positive for any
game. It's great to know there are people around that can come up
with such good patches.

Two questions though,
1. has anyone had any problems with using "Defence Turret"?
2. is there a way of getting around UE's on some maps that always happen
only on those maps, besides deleting the maps?

~Adrian.

PS. Since I first posted this, I have tried defence turret, and I couldn't
see the basses, and neither could the bots. Is this because I dl'ed the
wrong version?

---

"Adrian" <dryd(take this out)@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> "Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > On 16 Apr 2004 13:41:06 -0700, Simon wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Has anyone noticed how many cheaters are playing Tribes? I decided to
> > > observe some players today, who I presumed were using some kind of
> > > cheat, and I was watching people who could seemingly see through
> > > walls, who could snipe from miles away, etc.
> >
> > That's why "Defence Turret" was made and released:
> > http://www.triben.de/dt_en.html
> >

> G'day!
>
> Thanks for posting the "Defence Turret" link!
>
> I have experienced such things (as the above cheating ) and wondered what
> was
> going on. I am downloading "Defence Turret" now. I think that tempting
> as cheating may be for some people, it doesn't do anything positive for
any
> game. It's great to know there are people around that can come up
> with such good patches.
>
> Two questions though,
> 1. has anyone had any problems with using "Defence Turret"?
> 2. is there a way of getting around UE's on some maps that always happen
> only on those maps, besides deleting the maps?
>
> ~Adrian.
>
> PS. Since I first posted this, I have tried defence turret, and I couldn't
> see the basses, and neither could the bots. Is this because I dl'ed the
> wrong version?

Of note, DT will only stop cheating if you connect to a server that is
running DT and set to DT enabled players only.

Quixote

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:36:26 GMT, Adrian wrote:

> G'day!

How do.

> Thanks for posting the "Defence Turret" link!

Np's. :)

> I have experienced such things (as the above cheating ) and wondered what
> was
> going on. I am downloading "Defence Turret" now. I think that tempting
> as cheating may be for some people, it doesn't do anything positive for any
> game. It's great to know there are people around that can come up
> with such good patches.

I can't remember the players name, but I do remember laughing at someones
excuses for managing a headshot on me. The cheater was arguing that I was
in plain view of him, yet I was beyond visual distance of him. See, the
map was Reversion, which has fog. The cheater was convinced there was no
fog.

.... how the whole server laughed at him. :)

> Two questions though,
> 1. has anyone had any problems with using "Defence Turret"?

I didn't have any, but there are reports of DT being unstable.

> 2. is there a way of getting around UE's on some maps that always happen
> only on those maps, besides deleting the maps?

UE's in T2 are pretty unexplainable.

.... and the UE's that comes with DT are no exception. :(

> ~Adrian.
>
> PS. Since I first posted this, I have tried defence turret, and I couldn't
> see the basses, and neither could the bots. Is this because I dl'ed the
> wrong version?

That does happen if you try DT when you're offline.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

Quixote wrote:

> Of note, DT will only stop cheating if you connect to a server that is
> running DT and set to DT enabled players only.

Which doesn't seem to include many of the more popular servers..

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

>I can't remember the players name, but I do remember laughing at someone's
>excuses for managing a headshot on me. The cheater was arguing that I was
>in plain view of him, yet I was beyond visual distance of him. See, the
>map was Reversion, which has fog. The cheater was convinced there was no
>fog.

>... how the whole server laughed at him. :)

LOL! made him squirm I bet.

>UE's in T2 are pretty unexplainable.

>... and the UE's that comes with DT are no exception. :(

LOL!

Is deleting (or adding .bak to) the maps they occur on, the only thing you
can do?
I did try d/l and reinstalling one or two, made no difference.
I don't really mind, just thought I would ask the experts.

>That does happen if you try DT when you're offline.

>Of note, DT will only stop cheating if you connect to a server that is
>running DT and set to DT enabled players only.

Are yes, I was off line, just trying DT to see how well it worked.
Also I just moved house and my connection speed has dropped from 56k to 32k,
no adsl or cable here, so it may be a while before I get to play on line
again.

Anyway, thanks for all the help gang.
Sorry I have not got back to you all sooner.
I have been away from my puter for a couple of weeks.
I just did a 4000 klm round trip to go to a 21'st birthday party.

Good shooting,

-Adrian

---

Adrian wrote:

> I just did a 4000 klm round trip to go to a 21'st birthday party.

Just a bit over a Bun Burner Gold.

Hoping to get my first Saddle Sore 1000 later this year.

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:19:13 GMT, Adrian wrote:

> LOL! made him squirm I bet.

His excuses quickly dried up. ;)

> LOL!
>
> Is deleting (or adding .bak to) the maps they occur on, the only thing you
> can do?
> I did try d/l and reinstalling one or two, made no difference.
> I don't really mind, just thought I would ask the experts.

I seem to remember something about deleting your .dso files, as well as
checking for spyware in your system, but these solutions might be outdated
now.

> Are yes, I was off line, just trying DT to see how well it worked.

It is alarming when you don't expect to see nothing. ;)

> Also I just moved house and my connection speed has dropped from 56k to 32k,
> no adsl or cable here, so it may be a while before I get to play on line
> again.

If you wish to face the highly skilled bots, just start T2 up as you
would've done before installing DT.

> Anyway, thanks for all the help gang.
> Sorry I have not got back to you all sooner.
> I have been away from my puter for a couple of weeks.
> I just did a 4000 klm round trip to go to a 21'st birthday party.

Np's.

--

"Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Adrian wrote:
>
> > I just did a 4000 klm round trip to go to a 21'st birthday party.
>
> Just a bit over a Bun Burner Gold.
>
> Hoping to get my first Saddle Sore 1000 later this year.

Not quite. Cairns to Brisbane on the train is about 1800 klm's and takes 31
hours on the slow train. (a pack of cards is a good thing to take) Then
another 400 klm's to Grafton on the bus takes another 6 hours. The longest
distance I have ridden in 24 hours is about 1200 k's

Good luck on your ride, as you would know, watch out for cars, they don't
see you and they don't care.

All the best.

-Adrian
Down Under

---

>> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:19:13 GMT,
> > Adrian wrote:
> > Is deleting (or adding .bak to) the maps they occur on, the only thing
you
> > can do?

> I seem to remember something about deleting your .dso files, as well as
> checking for spyware in your system, but these solutions might be outdated
> now.

I keep on top of spyware but I will give deleting the .dso's a go.

> If you wish to face the highly skilled bots, just start T2 up as you
> would've done before installing DT.

LOL
Highly skilled bots!
They are a bit of a disappointment sometimes :)

Thanks again.

-Adrian
Down Under.

---

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:41:26 GMT, Adrian wrote:

> LOL
> Highly skilled bots!
> They are a bit of a disappointment sometimes :)

Only sometimes? ;)

> Thanks again.

Np's.

--

Adrian wrote:

> "Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>Adrian wrote:
>>

>>>I just did a 4000 klm round trip to go to a 21'st birthday party.
>>
>>Just a bit over a Bun Burner Gold.
>>
>>Hoping to get my first Saddle Sore 1000 later this year.
>

> Not quite. Cairns to Brisbane on the train is about 1800 klm's and takes 31
> hours on the slow train. (a pack of cards is a good thing to take) Then
> another 400 klm's to Grafton on the bus takes another 6 hours. The longest
> distance I have ridden in 24 hours is about 1200 k's
>
> Good luck on your ride, as you would know, watch out for cars, they don't
> see you and they don't care.

The hard part is finding a wide open route in the Northeast. Even
Boston to Buffalo is only 454 miles... If I started on the Cape, I might
be able to do it.

For a one way trip, If I started in Boston I'd end up 50 miles past
Indianapolis.

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:41:26 GMT, Adrian wrote:
>
> > LOL
> > Highly skilled bots!
> > They are a bit of a disappointment sometimes :)
>
> Only sometimes? ;)

Well as you would know, most of the time in CTF, but on some maps they are
okay. I find they are better at (team) / hunters though. But the worst is
when they are too dumb to get out of a building and keep firing fusion
mortars, they do make for good sniper practice in some maps. All in all, I
wish there were more single player maps out there though, even if they are
sometimes a bit buggy, they are better than playing on line with my current
ping time! it's a bit frustrating when I am dead before I even see the
person that shot me walk around the corner, LOL! Oh for broadband out in the
country. The best I can get here is satellite and that is restricted to
uploading through a phone line, so no real improvement there.

Good shooting.

-Adrian
Down Under

---

> Adrian wrote:
>
> > "Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > Good luck on your ride, as you would know, watch out for cars, they
don't
> > see you and they don't care.
>
> The hard part is finding a wide open route in the Northeast. Even
> Boston to Buffalo is only 454 miles... If I started on the Cape, I might
> be able to do it.
>
> For a one way trip, If I started in Boston I'd end up 50 miles past
> Indianapolis.

I just looked all those places up in my atlas.
The Cape to Buffalo and back looks like a good option, quite a lot of towns
and mountains though.
I don't know about Indianapolis, wouldn't you be getting into "Easy Rider"
country down there? :)
Red-necks in F-100's with shot guns and all that? :) or is that further
south?
Being an Aussie, I wouldn't really know.
I just worked out that you would have to average 62.5 mp/h to make
1500m/24hrs.
but only 41.6 to do 1000m/24hrs. that's not too bad.
We have the odd road here with no speed limit, do you have any in the
States?
What about up the coast to somewhere like Moncoton?
Or would crossing the border slow you down too much?

-Adrian
Down Under

---

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Adrian wrote:
> "Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:41:26 GMT, Adrian wrote:
>>
>>> LOL
>>> Highly skilled bots!
>>> They are a bit of a disappointment sometimes :)
>>
>> Only sometimes? ;)
>

> Well as you would know, most of the time in CTF, but on some maps
> they are okay. I find they are better at (team) / hunters though. But
> the worst is when they are too dumb to get out of a building and keep
> firing fusion mortars, they do make for good sniper practice in some
> maps. All in all, I wish there were more single player maps out there
> though, even if they are sometimes a bit buggy, they are better than
> playing on line with my current ping time! it's a bit frustrating
> when I am dead before I even see the person that shot me walk around
> the corner, LOL! Oh for broadband out in the country. The best I can
> get here is satellite and that is restricted to uploading through a
> phone line, so no real improvement there.
>
> Good shooting.
>
> -Adrian
> Down Under

I have a satellite, too, but two-way through the sat. It's still
terrible- no, make that LOUSY for gaming. It's much, much worse
than any dialup I had.
"Lag" takes on a whole new meaning. That's why I haven't been
able to play T1 or T2 lately. Don't have a dialup any more.

--

Adrian wrote:
> "Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>Adrian wrote:
>>

>>>"Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message
>

>>>Good luck on your ride, as you would know, watch out for cars, they
>
> don't
>
>>>see you and they don't care.
>>
>>The hard part is finding a wide open route in the Northeast. Even
>>Boston to Buffalo is only 454 miles... If I started on the Cape, I might
>>be able to do it.
>>
>>For a one way trip, If I started in Boston I'd end up 50 miles past
>>Indianapolis.
>

> I just looked all those places up in my atlas.
> The Cape to Buffalo and back looks like a good option, quite a lot of towns
> and mountains though.
> I don't know about Indianapolis, wouldn't you be getting into "Easy Rider"
> country down there? :)
> Red-necks in F-100's with shot guns and all that? :) or is that further
> south?
> Being an Aussie, I wouldn't really know.
> I just worked out that you would have to average 62.5 mp/h to make
> 1500m/24hrs.
> but only 41.6 to do 1000m/24hrs. that's not too bad.
> We have the odd road here with no speed limit, do you have any in the
> States?
> What about up the coast to somewhere like Moncoton?
> Or would crossing the border slow you down too much?

Montana has roads that only require "reasonable" speeds. Of course,
there are roads like I-84W out of Hartford into NY where you can be
doing 90 in the right lane and people are honking at you to get out of
their way.

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:19:13 GMT, "Adrian" <dryd(take this out)@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Sorry I have not got back to you all sooner.
> I have been away from my puter for a couple of weeks.
> I just did a 4000 klm round trip to go to a 21'st birthday party.

Ouch. Do you have wireless broadband out there? I got that when DSL and
cable weren't available, and it actually turned out to be pretty good.
Keep in mind, this is line of sight short-range wireless, not satellite,
so there are no latency issues. My pings are comparable to DSL and cable.

--
Troy

> Adrian wrote:
> > "Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > We have the odd road here with no speed limit, do you have any in the
> > States?
> > What about up the coast to somewhere like Moncoton?
> > Or would crossing the border slow you down too much?

It's hard to imagine being able to drive to another country for Australians,
as we can't.

> Montana

What is the capital city of Montana? (so I can look it up) It's a large
state in the north west isn't it?
Where the "Orange People" had a commune?

> has roads that only require "reasonable" speeds.

That's like the road from Adelaide (South Australia) up to Darwin (Northern
Territory)
Up until a race a few years ago, in which some officials were killed, there
was no speed limit what so ever.
Now it's a "reasonable" speed too.

> Of course, there are roads like I-84W out of Hartford into

Sorry, which state is Hartford in?
or is it part of NY city?
I have 7 listed in my Atlas, all in the US.

>NY where you can be

Do you mean NY state or city?
My knowledge of US geography is sketchy at best.
Like I could probably tell you which major cities (if you named them) are on
which coast,
and roughly where some of the more famous states are, but beyond
that........

> doing 90 in the right lane
Right lane, err, it's all backwards here so..... that would be the slow
lane?

> and people are honking at you to get out of their way.

Sounds like the autobahns in Europe.
It's funny for us (Aussies) watching American movies, because it always
looks to like cars are driving on the wrong side of the road! Like
overtaking all the way, witch gives the impression of going really fast.

BTW, Have you ever been to the town of Needham? it's not far from Boston.
http://www.town.needham.ma.us/
It's my name sake and I was just wondering what it was like there.
The original one is in England.
http://www.needham-market.suffolk.gov.uk/

All the best,

-Adrian
Down Under

---

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Adrian wrote:
> > "Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:41:26 GMT, Adrian wrote:
> >>

> > The best I can
> > get here is satellite and that is restricted to uploading through a
> > phone line, so no real improvement there.
> >
> > Good shooting.
> >
> > -Adrian
> > Down Under
>

> I have a satellite, too, but two-way through the sat. It's still
> terrible- no, make that LOUSY for gaming. It's much, much worse
> than any dialup I had.
> "Lag" takes on a whole new meaning. That's why I haven't been
> able to play T1 or T2 lately. Don't have a dialup any more.
>
> --
> >^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel

Hi Miracle

Frustrating isn't it? It's hard to believe that something that is billed (in
Australia at least) as broadband can be so slack. I have friends with xboxes
in the same boat, it's lan or nothing, and from what I hear, Telstra (our
national carrier) has had the ability to supply broadband to most of the
country for years, but they haven't because they make more money from
dialup.

Do you know much about adsl? I have heard that all you need is an adsl modem
and that since the signal is in the line all the time, it's easy to tap
into. Here they won't even consider connecting you if you are more than 4
k's from the exchange. But I have read that it will work over 7 k's, not as
fast but a lot faster than dial up.

Oh well, enough bitching from this HPB :))

-Adrian
Down Under

---

Adrian wrote:
> "Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>Adrian wrote:
>>
>>>"Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>>We have the odd road here with no speed limit, do you have any in the
>>>States?
>>>What about up the coast to somewhere like Moncoton?
>>>Or would crossing the border slow you down too much?
>

> It's hard to imagine being able to drive to another country for Australians,
> as we can't.
>

>>Montana
>

> What is the capital city of Montana? (so I can look it up) It's a large
> state in the north west isn't it?
> Where the "Orange People" had a commune?

Billings, IIRC. And yes, it is in the NW US. Not familiar with the
Orange People

>>has roads that only require "reasonable" speeds.
>

> That's like the road from Adelaide (South Australia) up to Darwin (Northern
> Territory)
> Up until a race a few years ago, in which some officials were killed, there
> was no speed limit what so ever.
> Now it's a "reasonable" speed too.
>

>>Of course, there are roads like I-84W out of Hartford into
>

> Sorry, which state is Hartford in?
> or is it part of NY city?
> I have 7 listed in my Atlas, all in the US.

Hartford, CT to New York City.

>>NY where you can be
>

> Do you mean NY state or city?
> My knowledge of US geography is sketchy at best.
> Like I could probably tell you which major cities (if you named them) are on
> which coast,
> and roughly where some of the more famous states are, but beyond
> that........
>

>>doing 90 in the right lane
>
> Right lane, err, it's all backwards here so..... that would be the slow
> lane?

Yep

>>and people are honking at you to get out of their way.
>

> Sounds like the autobahns in Europe.
> It's funny for us (Aussies) watching American movies, because it always
> looks to like cars are driving on the wrong side of the road! Like
> overtaking all the way, witch gives the impression of going really fast.
>
> BTW, Have you ever been to the town of Needham? it's not far from Boston.
> http://www.town.needham.ma.us/
> It's my name sake and I was just wondering what it was like there.
> The original one is in England.
> http://www.needham-market.suffolk.gov.uk/

I've been to just about every town in the state at one time or another
in the search for the perfect cheeseburger. Don't remember specifically
though.

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

"Troy" <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:19:13 GMT, "Adrian" <dryd(take this
out)@bigpond.com> wrote:

> > Sorry I have not got back to you all sooner.
> > I have been away from my puter for a couple of weeks.
> > I just did a 4000 klm round trip to go to a 21'st birthday party.
>
> Ouch. Do you have wireless broadband out there? I got that when DSL and
> cable weren't available, and it actually turned out to be pretty good.
> Keep in mind, this is line of sight short-range wireless, not satellite,
> so there are no latency issues. My pings are comparable to DSL and cable.
>
> --
> Troy

Hi Troy

It dose exist here in major cities but not out in the country much. Even my
UHF TV reception is bad here. 2 of the 5 (free to air) stations are
watchable. The old VHF was much better because it would follow the ground
plane, up and down all the hills and right through all the huge gum trees
around here.

I did read about a company that would set you up as a local wireless
broadband distributor if you had 20 people (I think it was) to sign up
within about 5k's or something, but you would have to be close enough to
town to get DSL or some such thing in the first place. I don't really know
how it works.

Funny thing is that a few years ago, Telstra and Optis laid thousands of k's
of fibre optic cable but it's all basically parallel, because the
politicians didn't make them do it otherwise (which they could of). That was
so stupid, now about a quater of Australia is covered twice by fibre optic
and the rest is not covered at all!

Latter

-Adrian
Down Under

---

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Adrian wrote:
> Hi Miracle
>
> Frustrating isn't it? It's hard to believe that something that is
> billed (in Australia at least) as broadband can be so slack. I have
> friends with xboxes in the same boat, it's lan or nothing, and from
> what I hear, Telstra (our national carrier) has had the ability to
> supply broadband to most of the country for years, but they haven't
> because they make more money from dialup.
>
> Do you know much about adsl? I have heard that all you need is an
> adsl modem and that since the signal is in the line all the time,
> it's easy to tap into. Here they won't even consider connecting you
> if you are more than 4 k's from the exchange. But I have read that it
> will work over 7 k's, not as fast but a lot faster than dial up.
>
> Oh well, enough bitching from this HPB :))

I tried the DSL that became available here finally, but it didn't
work worth a damn and I couldn't get past Level 1 tech support,
so I basically told them to shove their modem up their........heh.

So, here I sit on the sat, waiting for the eventual day that the
cable company gets off their dead asses and runs the cable up
this damn hill. I won't hold my breath, though- I've been waiting
for 9 years so far.
They say it's too rocky for them to dig the trenches needed.

Bullchit! The phone company and the power company have
underground lines.

Oh, don't get me started.................................. o_O

--
{{{{{{{HUGZ ! ! }}}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

>^,,^< Miracle wrote:

> Adrian wrote:
>
>>Oh well, enough bitching from this HPB :))
>

> I tried the DSL that became available here finally, but it didn't
> work worth a damn and I couldn't get past Level 1 tech support,
> so I basically told them to shove their modem up their........heh.

LOL!
Well that's one less satisfied customer. And I thought they wanted to
make money. They have just about got a license to print the stuff.

> So, here I sit on the sat, waiting for the eventual day that the
> cable company gets off their dead asses and runs the cable up
> this damn hill. I won't hold my breath, though- I've been waiting
> for 9 years so far.
> They say it's too rocky for them to dig the trenches needed.
>
> Bullchit! The phone company and the power company have
> underground lines.

Any excuse to fob you off. Maybe they would do it if you had a few other
people that were interested up your way.

On the other hand, a ditch witch only costs about $50 an hour, and they
can go a fair way in an hour.

My girlfriend and I just bought some land even further from town than we
are here, and when we get the phone put on I will make shore as hell
that it's not a pair gained line. Then at least it will be possible for
us get 56k! We have to have a trench dug for the power to come from the
power pole to the house that I still have to build and I was wondering
if putting the phone line in the same trench would dirty up the signal,
as it will be running parallel for quite some distance? Any ideas on
that one?

> Oh, don't get me started.................................. o_O

00hhhrrr! that could be fun to watch! :0)

> --
> {{{{{{{HUGZ ! ! }}}}}}}
> >^,,^< Miracle

Good luck.

-Adrian
Down Under

Polarhound wrote:

> Quixote wrote:
>
>> Of note, DT will only stop cheating if you connect to a server that is
>> running DT and set to DT enabled players only.

Do you mean that a DT server wont let non DT players on?
It's a shame there isn't a version of DT that just excludes HappyMod#
etc. players from joining the server in the first place. I guess that
there would be a never ending stream of new mods to exclude. Bit of a
shame really.

> Which doesn't seem to include many of the more popular servers..

Would you say that is because DT is not popular enough to that cheating
is more popular? so otherwise they wouldn't get any/many players?

How long do you reckon that it will take after it is released till there
are a whole mob of T3 cheats? T3 look good from what I have read.

-Adrian
Down Under

"dryd(takethisout)" <"dryd(takethisout)"@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> Polarhound wrote:
>
> > Quixote wrote:
> >
> >> Of note, DT will only stop cheating if you connect to a server that is
> >> running DT and set to DT enabled players only.
> >

> Do you mean that a DT server wont let non DT players on?
> It's a shame there isn't a version of DT that just excludes HappyMod#
> etc. players from joining the server in the first place. I guess that
> there would be a never ending stream of new mods to exclude. Bit of a
> shame really.

Yes a DT server can be set to boot people who join if they don't have DT
running. Alternately it can be set to allow them on but you can also query
the players and see who is running DT and who is not.

> > Which doesn't seem to include many of the more popular servers..
>
> Would you say that is because DT is not popular enough to that cheating
> is more popular? so otherwise they wouldn't get any/many players?

I would say there are just not that many server admins who are serious
enough about their playing to want to install it. Also there are
workarounds to DT being developed by the same ilk that created the cheats in
the first place.

> How long do you reckon that it will take after it is released till there
> are a whole mob of T3 cheats? T3 look good from what I have read.

Supposedly it will be harder (heard that before huh?). Scripts in T:V will
have to pass scrutiny by the server to be usable as I understand it, or at
least that was similar to the early chatter I heard about it. Of course, it
is really the exe hacks that are the worse.

Quixote

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

dryd(takethisout)" <"dryd(takethisout) wrote:
>> ^,,^< Miracle wrote:
>
>> Adrian wrote:
>>
>>> Oh well, enough bitching from this HPB :))
>>

>> I tried the DSL that became available here finally, but it didn't
>> work worth a damn and I couldn't get past Level 1 tech support,
>> so I basically told them to shove their modem up their........heh.
>>

> LOL!
> Well that's one less satisfied customer. And I thought they wanted to
> make money. They have just about got a license to print the stuff.
>

>> So, here I sit on the sat, waiting for the eventual day that the
>> cable company gets off their dead asses and runs the cable up
>> this damn hill. I won't hold my breath, though- I've been waiting
>> for 9 years so far.
>> They say it's too rocky for them to dig the trenches needed.
>>
>> Bullchit! The phone company and the power company have
>> underground lines.
>
> Any excuse to fob you off. Maybe they would do it if you had a few
> other people that were interested up your way.
>
> On the other hand, a ditch witch only costs about $50 an hour, and
> they can go a fair way in an hour.
>
> My girlfriend and I just bought some land even further from town than
> we are here, and when we get the phone put on I will make shore as
> hell that it's not a pair gained line. Then at least it will be
> possible for us get 56k! We have to have a trench dug for the power
> to come from the power pole to the house that I still have to build
> and I was wondering if putting the phone line in the same trench
> would dirty up the signal, as it will be running parallel for quite
> some distance? Any ideas on that one?

Oh jeez, Adrian, don't put the phone line in the same trench
unless you make sure that it's in its own shielding cable!! We let
the phone company run their line from the old house to the new
with the satellite and power cables in the same sleeve, and we've
had nothing but trouble with the phone line since, although I can't
say for sure if that's the lone cause.

(We bought this place with an old mobile home on it, and later
bought a new home and put it in a different spot. So all the utilities
etc. had to be extended another 100 feet or so.)

One last bit of advice from experience- make sure the phone line
itself is the best quality. Weathers so much longer.

--