"Defence Turret"

"Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:40804952$0$25235$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
> On 16 Apr 2004 13:41:06 -0700, Simon wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has anyone noticed how many cheaters are playing Tribes? I decided to
> > observe some players today, who I presumed were using some kind of
> > cheat, and I was watching people who could seemingly see through
> > walls, who could snipe from miles away, etc.
>
> That's why "Defence Turret" was made and released:
> http://www.triben.de/dt_en.html

G'day!

Thanks for posting the "Defence Turret" link!

I have experienced such things (as the above cheating ) and wondered what
was
going on. I am downloading "Defence Turret" now. I think that tempting
as cheating may be for some people, it doesn't do anything positive for any
game. It's great to know there are people around that can come up
with such good patches.

Two questions though,
1. has anyone had any problems with using "Defence Turret"?
2. is there a way of getting around UE's on some maps that always happen
only on those maps, besides deleting the maps?

~Adrian.

PS. Since I first posted this, I have tried defence turret, and I couldn't
see the basses, and neither could the bots. Is this because I dl'ed the
wrong version?

---

More about defence turret
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    "Adrian" <dryd(take this out)@bigpond.com> wrote in message
    > "Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > On 16 Apr 2004 13:41:06 -0700, Simon wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > Has anyone noticed how many cheaters are playing Tribes? I decided to
    > > > observe some players today, who I presumed were using some kind of
    > > > cheat, and I was watching people who could seemingly see through
    > > > walls, who could snipe from miles away, etc.
    > >
    > > That's why "Defence Turret" was made and released:
    > > http://www.triben.de/dt_en.html
    > >

    > G'day!
    >
    > Thanks for posting the "Defence Turret" link!
    >
    > I have experienced such things (as the above cheating ) and wondered what
    > was
    > going on. I am downloading "Defence Turret" now. I think that tempting
    > as cheating may be for some people, it doesn't do anything positive for
    any
    > game. It's great to know there are people around that can come up
    > with such good patches.
    >
    > Two questions though,
    > 1. has anyone had any problems with using "Defence Turret"?
    > 2. is there a way of getting around UE's on some maps that always happen
    > only on those maps, besides deleting the maps?
    >
    > ~Adrian.
    >
    > PS. Since I first posted this, I have tried defence turret, and I couldn't
    > see the basses, and neither could the bots. Is this because I dl'ed the
    > wrong version?

    Of note, DT will only stop cheating if you connect to a server that is
    running DT and set to DT enabled players only.

    Quixote
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:36:26 GMT, Adrian wrote:

    > G'day!

    How do.

    > Thanks for posting the "Defence Turret" link!

    Np's. :)

    > I have experienced such things (as the above cheating ) and wondered what
    > was
    > going on. I am downloading "Defence Turret" now. I think that tempting
    > as cheating may be for some people, it doesn't do anything positive for any
    > game. It's great to know there are people around that can come up
    > with such good patches.

    I can't remember the players name, but I do remember laughing at someones
    excuses for managing a headshot on me. The cheater was arguing that I was
    in plain view of him, yet I was beyond visual distance of him. See, the
    map was Reversion, which has fog. The cheater was convinced there was no
    fog.

    .... how the whole server laughed at him. :)

    > Two questions though,
    > 1. has anyone had any problems with using "Defence Turret"?

    I didn't have any, but there are reports of DT being unstable.

    > 2. is there a way of getting around UE's on some maps that always happen
    > only on those maps, besides deleting the maps?

    UE's in T2 are pretty unexplainable.

    .... and the UE's that comes with DT are no exception. :(

    > ~Adrian.
    >
    > PS. Since I first posted this, I have tried defence turret, and I couldn't
    > see the basses, and neither could the bots. Is this because I dl'ed the
    > wrong version?

    That does happen if you try DT when you're offline.

    --
    "A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

    Quixote wrote:

    > Of note, DT will only stop cheating if you connect to a server that is
    > running DT and set to DT enabled players only.

    Which doesn't seem to include many of the more popular servers..
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    >I can't remember the players name, but I do remember laughing at someone's
    >excuses for managing a headshot on me. The cheater was arguing that I was
    >in plain view of him, yet I was beyond visual distance of him. See, the
    >map was Reversion, which has fog. The cheater was convinced there was no
    >fog.

    >... how the whole server laughed at him. :)

    LOL! made him squirm I bet.

    >UE's in T2 are pretty unexplainable.

    >... and the UE's that comes with DT are no exception. :(

    LOL!

    Is deleting (or adding .bak to) the maps they occur on, the only thing you
    can do?
    I did try d/l and reinstalling one or two, made no difference.
    I don't really mind, just thought I would ask the experts.

    >That does happen if you try DT when you're offline.

    >Of note, DT will only stop cheating if you connect to a server that is
    >running DT and set to DT enabled players only.

    Are yes, I was off line, just trying DT to see how well it worked.
    Also I just moved house and my connection speed has dropped from 56k to 32k,
    no adsl or cable here, so it may be a while before I get to play on line
    again.

    Anyway, thanks for all the help gang.
    Sorry I have not got back to you all sooner.
    I have been away from my puter for a couple of weeks.
    I just did a 4000 klm round trip to go to a 21'st birthday party.

    Good shooting,

    -Adrian

    ---

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Adrian wrote:

    > I just did a 4000 klm round trip to go to a 21'st birthday party.

    Just a bit over a Bun Burner Gold.

    Hoping to get my first Saddle Sore 1000 later this year.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:19:13 GMT, Adrian wrote:

    > LOL! made him squirm I bet.

    His excuses quickly dried up. ;)

    > LOL!
    >
    > Is deleting (or adding .bak to) the maps they occur on, the only thing you
    > can do?
    > I did try d/l and reinstalling one or two, made no difference.
    > I don't really mind, just thought I would ask the experts.

    I seem to remember something about deleting your .dso files, as well as
    checking for spyware in your system, but these solutions might be outdated
    now.

    > Are yes, I was off line, just trying DT to see how well it worked.

    It is alarming when you don't expect to see nothing. ;)

    > Also I just moved house and my connection speed has dropped from 56k to 32k,
    > no adsl or cable here, so it may be a while before I get to play on line
    > again.

    If you wish to face the highly skilled bots, just start T2 up as you
    would've done before installing DT.

    > Anyway, thanks for all the help gang.
    > Sorry I have not got back to you all sooner.
    > I have been away from my puter for a couple of weeks.
    > I just did a 4000 klm round trip to go to a 21'st birthday party.

    Np's.

    --
    "A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    "Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Adrian wrote:
    >
    > > I just did a 4000 klm round trip to go to a 21'st birthday party.
    >
    > Just a bit over a Bun Burner Gold.
    >
    > Hoping to get my first Saddle Sore 1000 later this year.

    Not quite. Cairns to Brisbane on the train is about 1800 klm's and takes 31
    hours on the slow train. (a pack of cards is a good thing to take) Then
    another 400 klm's to Grafton on the bus takes another 6 hours. The longest
    distance I have ridden in 24 hours is about 1200 k's

    Good luck on your ride, as you would know, watch out for cars, they don't
    see you and they don't care.

    All the best.

    -Adrian
    Down Under

    ---

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    >> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:19:13 GMT,
    > > Adrian wrote:
    > > Is deleting (or adding .bak to) the maps they occur on, the only thing
    you
    > > can do?

    > I seem to remember something about deleting your .dso files, as well as
    > checking for spyware in your system, but these solutions might be outdated
    > now.

    I keep on top of spyware but I will give deleting the .dso's a go.

    > If you wish to face the highly skilled bots, just start T2 up as you
    > would've done before installing DT.

    LOL
    Highly skilled bots!
    They are a bit of a disappointment sometimes :)

    Thanks again.

    -Adrian
    Down Under.

    ---

  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:41:26 GMT, Adrian wrote:

    > LOL
    > Highly skilled bots!
    > They are a bit of a disappointment sometimes :)

    Only sometimes? ;)

    > Thanks again.

    Np's.

    --
    "A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Adrian wrote:

    > "Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Adrian wrote:
    >>

    >>>I just did a 4000 klm round trip to go to a 21'st birthday party.
    >>
    >>Just a bit over a Bun Burner Gold.
    >>
    >>Hoping to get my first Saddle Sore 1000 later this year.
    >

    > Not quite. Cairns to Brisbane on the train is about 1800 klm's and takes 31
    > hours on the slow train. (a pack of cards is a good thing to take) Then
    > another 400 klm's to Grafton on the bus takes another 6 hours. The longest
    > distance I have ridden in 24 hours is about 1200 k's
    >
    > Good luck on your ride, as you would know, watch out for cars, they don't
    > see you and they don't care.

    The hard part is finding a wide open route in the Northeast. Even
    Boston to Buffalo is only 454 miles... If I started on the Cape, I might
    be able to do it.

    For a one way trip, If I started in Boston I'd end up 50 miles past
    Indianapolis.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    > On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:41:26 GMT, Adrian wrote:
    >
    > > LOL
    > > Highly skilled bots!
    > > They are a bit of a disappointment sometimes :)
    >
    > Only sometimes? ;)

    Well as you would know, most of the time in CTF, but on some maps they are
    okay. I find they are better at (team) / hunters though. But the worst is
    when they are too dumb to get out of a building and keep firing fusion
    mortars, they do make for good sniper practice in some maps. All in all, I
    wish there were more single player maps out there though, even if they are
    sometimes a bit buggy, they are better than playing on line with my current
    ping time! it's a bit frustrating when I am dead before I even see the
    person that shot me walk around the corner, LOL! Oh for broadband out in the
    country. The best I can get here is satellite and that is restricted to
    uploading through a phone line, so no real improvement there.

    Good shooting.

    -Adrian
    Down Under

    ---

  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    > Adrian wrote:
    >
    > > "Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > > Good luck on your ride, as you would know, watch out for cars, they
    don't
    > > see you and they don't care.
    >
    > The hard part is finding a wide open route in the Northeast. Even
    > Boston to Buffalo is only 454 miles... If I started on the Cape, I might
    > be able to do it.
    >
    > For a one way trip, If I started in Boston I'd end up 50 miles past
    > Indianapolis.

    I just looked all those places up in my atlas.
    The Cape to Buffalo and back looks like a good option, quite a lot of towns
    and mountains though.
    I don't know about Indianapolis, wouldn't you be getting into "Easy Rider"
    country down there? :)
    Red-necks in F-100's with shot guns and all that? :) or is that further
    south?
    Being an Aussie, I wouldn't really know.
    I just worked out that you would have to average 62.5 mp/h to make
    1500m/24hrs.
    but only 41.6 to do 1000m/24hrs. that's not too bad.
    We have the odd road here with no speed limit, do you have any in the
    States?
    What about up the coast to somewhere like Moncoton?
    Or would crossing the border slow you down too much?

    -Adrian
    Down Under

    ---

    Adrian wrote:
    > "Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:41:26 GMT, Adrian wrote:
    >>
    >>> LOL
    >>> Highly skilled bots!
    >>> They are a bit of a disappointment sometimes :)
    >>
    >> Only sometimes? ;)
    >

    > Well as you would know, most of the time in CTF, but on some maps
    > they are okay. I find they are better at (team) / hunters though. But
    > the worst is when they are too dumb to get out of a building and keep
    > firing fusion mortars, they do make for good sniper practice in some
    > maps. All in all, I wish there were more single player maps out there
    > though, even if they are sometimes a bit buggy, they are better than
    > playing on line with my current ping time! it's a bit frustrating
    > when I am dead before I even see the person that shot me walk around
    > the corner, LOL! Oh for broadband out in the country. The best I can
    > get here is satellite and that is restricted to uploading through a
    > phone line, so no real improvement there.
    >
    > Good shooting.
    >
    > -Adrian
    > Down Under

    I have a satellite, too, but two-way through the sat. It's still
    terrible- no, make that LOUSY for gaming. It's much, much worse
    than any dialup I had.
    "Lag" takes on a whole new meaning. That's why I haven't been
    able to play T1 or T2 lately. Don't have a dialup any more.

    --
    >^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Adrian wrote:
    > "Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Adrian wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>>Good luck on your ride, as you would know, watch out for cars, they
    >
    > don't
    >
    >>>see you and they don't care.
    >>
    >>The hard part is finding a wide open route in the Northeast. Even
    >>Boston to Buffalo is only 454 miles... If I started on the Cape, I might
    >>be able to do it.
    >>
    >>For a one way trip, If I started in Boston I'd end up 50 miles past
    >>Indianapolis.
    >

    > I just looked all those places up in my atlas.
    > The Cape to Buffalo and back looks like a good option, quite a lot of towns
    > and mountains though.
    > I don't know about Indianapolis, wouldn't you be getting into "Easy Rider"
    > country down there? :)
    > Red-necks in F-100's with shot guns and all that? :) or is that further
    > south?
    > Being an Aussie, I wouldn't really know.
    > I just worked out that you would have to average 62.5 mp/h to make
    > 1500m/24hrs.
    > but only 41.6 to do 1000m/24hrs. that's not too bad.
    > We have the odd road here with no speed limit, do you have any in the
    > States?
    > What about up the coast to somewhere like Moncoton?
    > Or would crossing the border slow you down too much?

    Montana has roads that only require "reasonable" speeds. Of course,
    there are roads like I-84W out of Hartford into NY where you can be
    doing 90 in the right lane and people are honking at you to get out of
    their way.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:19:13 GMT, "Adrian" <dryd(take this out)@bigpond.com> wrote:

    > Sorry I have not got back to you all sooner.
    > I have been away from my puter for a couple of weeks.
    > I just did a 4000 klm round trip to go to a 21'st birthday party.

    Ouch. Do you have wireless broadband out there? I got that when DSL and
    cable weren't available, and it actually turned out to be pretty good.
    Keep in mind, this is line of sight short-range wireless, not satellite,
    so there are no latency issues. My pings are comparable to DSL and cable.

    --
    Troy
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    > Adrian wrote:
    > > "Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > > We have the odd road here with no speed limit, do you have any in the
    > > States?
    > > What about up the coast to somewhere like Moncoton?
    > > Or would crossing the border slow you down too much?

    It's hard to imagine being able to drive to another country for Australians,
    as we can't.

    > Montana

    What is the capital city of Montana? (so I can look it up) It's a large
    state in the north west isn't it?
    Where the "Orange People" had a commune?

    > has roads that only require "reasonable" speeds.

    That's like the road from Adelaide (South Australia) up to Darwin (Northern
    Territory)
    Up until a race a few years ago, in which some officials were killed, there
    was no speed limit what so ever.
    Now it's a "reasonable" speed too.

    > Of course, there are roads like I-84W out of Hartford into

    Sorry, which state is Hartford in?
    or is it part of NY city?
    I have 7 listed in my Atlas, all in the US.

    >NY where you can be

    Do you mean NY state or city?
    My knowledge of US geography is sketchy at best.
    Like I could probably tell you which major cities (if you named them) are on
    which coast,
    and roughly where some of the more famous states are, but beyond
    that........

    > doing 90 in the right lane
    Right lane, err, it's all backwards here so..... that would be the slow
    lane?

    > and people are honking at you to get out of their way.

    Sounds like the autobahns in Europe.
    It's funny for us (Aussies) watching American movies, because it always
    looks to like cars are driving on the wrong side of the road! Like
    overtaking all the way, witch gives the impression of going really fast.

    BTW, Have you ever been to the town of Needham? it's not far from Boston.
    http://www.town.needham.ma.us/
    It's my name sake and I was just wondering what it was like there.
    The original one is in England.
    http://www.needham-market.suffolk.gov.uk/

    All the best,

    -Adrian
    Down Under

    ---

  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > Adrian wrote:
    > > "Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:41:26 GMT, Adrian wrote:
    > >>

    > > The best I can
    > > get here is satellite and that is restricted to uploading through a
    > > phone line, so no real improvement there.
    > >
    > > Good shooting.
    > >
    > > -Adrian
    > > Down Under
    >

    > I have a satellite, too, but two-way through the sat. It's still
    > terrible- no, make that LOUSY for gaming. It's much, much worse
    > than any dialup I had.
    > "Lag" takes on a whole new meaning. That's why I haven't been
    > able to play T1 or T2 lately. Don't have a dialup any more.
    >
    > --
    > >^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel

    Hi Miracle

    Frustrating isn't it? It's hard to believe that something that is billed (in
    Australia at least) as broadband can be so slack. I have friends with xboxes
    in the same boat, it's lan or nothing, and from what I hear, Telstra (our
    national carrier) has had the ability to supply broadband to most of the
    country for years, but they haven't because they make more money from
    dialup.

    Do you know much about adsl? I have heard that all you need is an adsl modem
    and that since the signal is in the line all the time, it's easy to tap
    into. Here they won't even consider connecting you if you are more than 4
    k's from the exchange. But I have read that it will work over 7 k's, not as
    fast but a lot faster than dial up.

    Oh well, enough bitching from this HPB :))

    -Adrian
    Down Under

    ---

  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Adrian wrote:
    > "Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Adrian wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message

    >>>We have the odd road here with no speed limit, do you have any in the
    >>>States?
    >>>What about up the coast to somewhere like Moncoton?
    >>>Or would crossing the border slow you down too much?
    >

    > It's hard to imagine being able to drive to another country for Australians,
    > as we can't.
    >

    >>Montana
    >

    > What is the capital city of Montana? (so I can look it up) It's a large
    > state in the north west isn't it?
    > Where the "Orange People" had a commune?

    Billings, IIRC. And yes, it is in the NW US. Not familiar with the
    Orange People

    >>has roads that only require "reasonable" speeds.
    >

    > That's like the road from Adelaide (South Australia) up to Darwin (Northern
    > Territory)
    > Up until a race a few years ago, in which some officials were killed, there
    > was no speed limit what so ever.
    > Now it's a "reasonable" speed too.
    >

    >>Of course, there are roads like I-84W out of Hartford into
    >

    > Sorry, which state is Hartford in?
    > or is it part of NY city?
    > I have 7 listed in my Atlas, all in the US.

    Hartford, CT to New York City.

    >>NY where you can be
    >

    > Do you mean NY state or city?
    > My knowledge of US geography is sketchy at best.
    > Like I could probably tell you which major cities (if you named them) are on
    > which coast,
    > and roughly where some of the more famous states are, but beyond
    > that........
    >

    >>doing 90 in the right lane
    >
    > Right lane, err, it's all backwards here so..... that would be the slow
    > lane?

    Yep

    >>and people are honking at you to get out of their way.
    >

    > Sounds like the autobahns in Europe.
    > It's funny for us (Aussies) watching American movies, because it always
    > looks to like cars are driving on the wrong side of the road! Like
    > overtaking all the way, witch gives the impression of going really fast.
    >
    > BTW, Have you ever been to the town of Needham? it's not far from Boston.
    > http://www.town.needham.ma.us/
    > It's my name sake and I was just wondering what it was like there.
    > The original one is in England.
    > http://www.needham-market.suffolk.gov.uk/

    I've been to just about every town in the state at one time or another
    in the search for the perfect cheeseburger. Don't remember specifically
    though.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    "Troy" <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:19:13 GMT, "Adrian" <dryd(take this
    out)@bigpond.com> wrote:

    > > Sorry I have not got back to you all sooner.
    > > I have been away from my puter for a couple of weeks.
    > > I just did a 4000 klm round trip to go to a 21'st birthday party.
    >
    > Ouch. Do you have wireless broadband out there? I got that when DSL and
    > cable weren't available, and it actually turned out to be pretty good.
    > Keep in mind, this is line of sight short-range wireless, not satellite,
    > so there are no latency issues. My pings are comparable to DSL and cable.
    >
    > --
    > Troy

    Hi Troy

    It dose exist here in major cities but not out in the country much. Even my
    UHF TV reception is bad here. 2 of the 5 (free to air) stations are
    watchable. The old VHF was much better because it would follow the ground
    plane, up and down all the hills and right through all the huge gum trees
    around here.

    I did read about a company that would set you up as a local wireless
    broadband distributor if you had 20 people (I think it was) to sign up
    within about 5k's or something, but you would have to be close enough to
    town to get DSL or some such thing in the first place. I don't really know
    how it works.

    Funny thing is that a few years ago, Telstra and Optis laid thousands of k's
    of fibre optic cable but it's all basically parallel, because the
    politicians didn't make them do it otherwise (which they could of). That was
    so stupid, now about a quater of Australia is covered twice by fibre optic
    and the rest is not covered at all!

    Latter

    -Adrian
    Down Under

    ---

  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Adrian wrote:
    > Hi Miracle
    >
    > Frustrating isn't it? It's hard to believe that something that is
    > billed (in Australia at least) as broadband can be so slack. I have
    > friends with xboxes in the same boat, it's lan or nothing, and from
    > what I hear, Telstra (our national carrier) has had the ability to
    > supply broadband to most of the country for years, but they haven't
    > because they make more money from dialup.
    >
    > Do you know much about adsl? I have heard that all you need is an
    > adsl modem and that since the signal is in the line all the time,
    > it's easy to tap into. Here they won't even consider connecting you
    > if you are more than 4 k's from the exchange. But I have read that it
    > will work over 7 k's, not as fast but a lot faster than dial up.
    >
    > Oh well, enough bitching from this HPB :))

    I tried the DSL that became available here finally, but it didn't
    work worth a damn and I couldn't get past Level 1 tech support,
    so I basically told them to shove their modem up their........heh.

    So, here I sit on the sat, waiting for the eventual day that the
    cable company gets off their dead asses and runs the cable up
    this damn hill. I won't hold my breath, though- I've been waiting
    for 9 years so far.
    They say it's too rocky for them to dig the trenches needed.

    Bullchit! The phone company and the power company have
    underground lines.

    Oh, don't get me started.................................. o.O

    --
    {{{{{{{HUGZ ! ! }}}}}}}
    >^,,^< Miracle
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    >^,,^< Miracle wrote:

    > Adrian wrote:
    >
    >>Oh well, enough bitching from this HPB :))
    >

    > I tried the DSL that became available here finally, but it didn't
    > work worth a damn and I couldn't get past Level 1 tech support,
    > so I basically told them to shove their modem up their........heh.

    LOL!
    Well that's one less satisfied customer. And I thought they wanted to
    make money. They have just about got a license to print the stuff.

    > So, here I sit on the sat, waiting for the eventual day that the
    > cable company gets off their dead asses and runs the cable up
    > this damn hill. I won't hold my breath, though- I've been waiting
    > for 9 years so far.
    > They say it's too rocky for them to dig the trenches needed.
    >
    > Bullchit! The phone company and the power company have
    > underground lines.

    Any excuse to fob you off. Maybe they would do it if you had a few other
    people that were interested up your way.

    On the other hand, a ditch witch only costs about $50 an hour, and they
    can go a fair way in an hour.

    My girlfriend and I just bought some land even further from town than we
    are here, and when we get the phone put on I will make shore as hell
    that it's not a pair gained line. Then at least it will be possible for
    us get 56k! We have to have a trench dug for the power to come from the
    power pole to the house that I still have to build and I was wondering
    if putting the phone line in the same trench would dirty up the signal,
    as it will be running parallel for quite some distance? Any ideas on
    that one?

    > Oh, don't get me started.................................. o.O

    00hhhrrr! that could be fun to watch! :0)

    > --
    > {{{{{{{HUGZ ! ! }}}}}}}
    > >^,,^< Miracle

    Good luck.

    -Adrian
    Down Under
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Polarhound wrote:

    > Quixote wrote:
    >
    >> Of note, DT will only stop cheating if you connect to a server that is
    >> running DT and set to DT enabled players only.

    Do you mean that a DT server wont let non DT players on?
    It's a shame there isn't a version of DT that just excludes HappyMod#
    etc. players from joining the server in the first place. I guess that
    there would be a never ending stream of new mods to exclude. Bit of a
    shame really.

    > Which doesn't seem to include many of the more popular servers..

    Would you say that is because DT is not popular enough to that cheating
    is more popular? so otherwise they wouldn't get any/many players?

    How long do you reckon that it will take after it is released till there
    are a whole mob of T3 cheats? T3 look good from what I have read.

    -Adrian
    Down Under
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    "dryd(takethisout)" <"dryd(takethisout)"@bigpond.com> wrote in message
    > Polarhound wrote:
    >
    > > Quixote wrote:
    > >
    > >> Of note, DT will only stop cheating if you connect to a server that is
    > >> running DT and set to DT enabled players only.
    > >

    > Do you mean that a DT server wont let non DT players on?
    > It's a shame there isn't a version of DT that just excludes HappyMod#
    > etc. players from joining the server in the first place. I guess that
    > there would be a never ending stream of new mods to exclude. Bit of a
    > shame really.

    Yes a DT server can be set to boot people who join if they don't have DT
    running. Alternately it can be set to allow them on but you can also query
    the players and see who is running DT and who is not.

    > > Which doesn't seem to include many of the more popular servers..
    >
    > Would you say that is because DT is not popular enough to that cheating
    > is more popular? so otherwise they wouldn't get any/many players?

    I would say there are just not that many server admins who are serious
    enough about their playing to want to install it. Also there are
    workarounds to DT being developed by the same ilk that created the cheats in
    the first place.

    > How long do you reckon that it will take after it is released till there
    > are a whole mob of T3 cheats? T3 look good from what I have read.

    Supposedly it will be harder (heard that before huh?). Scripts in T:V will
    have to pass scrutiny by the server to be usable as I understand it, or at
    least that was similar to the early chatter I heard about it. Of course, it
    is really the exe hacks that are the worse.

    Quixote
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    dryd(takethisout)" <"dryd(takethisout) wrote:
    >> ^,,^< Miracle wrote:
    >
    >> Adrian wrote:
    >>
    >>> Oh well, enough bitching from this HPB :))
    >>

    >> I tried the DSL that became available here finally, but it didn't
    >> work worth a damn and I couldn't get past Level 1 tech support,
    >> so I basically told them to shove their modem up their........heh.
    >>

    > LOL!
    > Well that's one less satisfied customer. And I thought they wanted to
    > make money. They have just about got a license to print the stuff.
    >

    >> So, here I sit on the sat, waiting for the eventual day that the
    >> cable company gets off their dead asses and runs the cable up
    >> this damn hill. I won't hold my breath, though- I've been waiting
    >> for 9 years so far.
    >> They say it's too rocky for them to dig the trenches needed.
    >>
    >> Bullchit! The phone company and the power company have
    >> underground lines.
    >
    > Any excuse to fob you off. Maybe they would do it if you had a few
    > other people that were interested up your way.
    >
    > On the other hand, a ditch witch only costs about $50 an hour, and
    > they can go a fair way in an hour.
    >
    > My girlfriend and I just bought some land even further from town than
    > we are here, and when we get the phone put on I will make shore as
    > hell that it's not a pair gained line. Then at least it will be
    > possible for us get 56k! We have to have a trench dug for the power
    > to come from the power pole to the house that I still have to build
    > and I was wondering if putting the phone line in the same trench
    > would dirty up the signal, as it will be running parallel for quite
    > some distance? Any ideas on that one?

    Oh jeez, Adrian, don't put the phone line in the same trench
    unless you make sure that it's in its own shielding cable!! We let
    the phone company run their line from the old house to the new
    with the satellite and power cables in the same sleeve, and we've
    had nothing but trouble with the phone line since, although I can't
    say for sure if that's the lone cause.

    (We bought this place with an old mobile home on it, and later
    bought a new home and put it in a different spot. So all the utilities
    etc. had to be extended another 100 feet or so.)

    One last bit of advice from experience- make sure the phone line
    itself is the best quality. Weathers so much longer.

    --
    {{{{{{{HUGZ ! ! }}}}}}}
    >^,,^< Miracle
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:2lch3pFb9lrbU1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    > Oh jeez, Adrian, don't put the phone line in the same trench
    > unless you make sure that it's in its own shielding cable!! We let
    > the phone company run their line from the old house to the new
    > with the satellite and power cables in the same sleeve, and we've
    > had nothing but trouble with the phone line since, although I can't
    > say for sure if that's the lone cause.

    Here in California, you have to keep the mains and communication in
    separate conduit. If you've got the ground open, I recommend putting a
    fistful of conduit in the ground, big as you can afford, to allow for
    future expansion. Conduit is cheap. Much cheaper than digging the hole. And
    put a "fish" line in every one, even those you use, so it's easy to pull
    new lines when you need them. And always pull a new fish when you use an
    old one.

    There's some newsgroups in comp.dcom for cabling issues where the experts
    on this hang out.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ScratchMonkey wrote:

    > ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:2lch3pFb9lrbU1@uni-
    > berlin.de:
    >

    >> Oh jeez, Adrian, don't put the phone line in the same trench
    >>unless you make sure that it's in its own shielding cable!! We let
    >>the phone company run their line from the old house to the new
    >>with the satellite and power cables in the same sleeve, and we've
    >>had nothing but trouble with the phone line since, although I can't
    >>say for sure if that's the lone cause.

    Well Miracle, I was going to put it in another conduit, as I note below,
    maybe 2" polly pipe. The trench will be about 18" wide, so I hope to
    have some separation as well. Two separate 330' trenches would be way
    too expensive and give me twice the chance of accidentally plowing one
    of the cables up some day.

    BTW Miracle, did you have any trouble with the phone line before? At the
    moment I have a temporary line that goes through about 15' of pipe under
    a road. I have had to seal up the ends of the pipe, because every time
    it rains (quite a lot up here in the tropics) the pipe would fill up
    with water and down would go the phone connection. I siphoned it out two
    or three times before I took to the ends with silicone. That fixed it.

    <smiles>

    > Here in California, you have to keep the mains and communication in
    > separate conduit. If you've got the ground open, I recommend putting a
    > fistful of conduit in the ground, big as you can afford, to allow for
    > future expansion. Conduit is cheap. Much cheaper than digging the hole. And
    > put a "fish" line in every one, even those you use, so it's easy to pull
    > new lines when you need them. And always pull a new fish when you use an
    > old one.
    >
    > There's some newsgroups in comp.dcom for cabling issues where the experts
    > on this hang out.

    Hi Scratch

    I will take what you have said into account, it sounds like good advice.
    We will be putting 2" polly pipe down as well to run water through to
    the front of the garden. It's cheep and strong, so maybe an extra length
    or two would be a good idea.
    What do you think would make good/cheep fish? how about heavy fishing
    line? LOL! The trench will be about 100 meters (325 feet) long.

    BTW as you suggested, I have posted a query to comp.dcom.cabling.

    Thanks,

    -Adrian
    Down Under
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    dryd(takethisout)" <"dryd(takethisout) wrote:
    > BTW Miracle, did you have any trouble with the phone line before? At
    > the moment I have a temporary line that goes through about 15' of
    > pipe under a road. I have had to seal up the ends of the pipe,
    > because every time it rains (quite a lot up here in the tropics) the
    > pipe would fill up with water and down would go the phone connection.
    > I siphoned it out two or three times before I took to the ends with
    > silicone. That fixed it.

    Nope, no trouble before the move. And we've done all the stuff
    you've done above, like looking for entry points for rainwater. I found
    another pipe end recently, so I covered it up real good. We'll see
    what happens the next time it rains. <sigh>

    --
    >^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    > BTW Miracle, did you have any trouble with the phone line before? At
    > the moment I have a temporary line that goes through about 15' of pipe
    > under a road. I have had to seal up the ends of the pipe, because
    > every time it rains (quite a lot up here in the tropics) the pipe
    > would fill up with water and down would go the phone connection. I
    > siphoned it out two or three times before I took to the ends with
    > silicone. That fixed it.

    Do you have any splices down there? Or are you not using cable rated for
    burial? It sounds like the water is getting inside the jacket and shorting
    things out, which shouldn't happen if the wire and sleeve isn't broken.

    It's critical that there be no splices below grade where moisture can get
    into them. Splices Are Bad.

    > What do you think would make good/cheep fish? how about heavy fishing
    > line? LOL! The trench will be about 100 meters (325 feet) long.
    >
    > BTW as you suggested, I have posted a query to comp.dcom.cabling.

    Alas, I just pull the stuff my roommate says to. I don't look at it. ;) You
    want something that won't snap under a lot of tension.

    At my company we just pulled about 350 feet of thick copper through
    overhead conduit for a new machine shop, and it cost $700 for the rope to
    pull it with!

    At our old machine shop, someone stole some cable by disconnecting it from
    the mains and tying it to the back of their pickup, and then towing it out
    of the wall.

Games Video Games