GA-P35-DS3L rev 2.0 not taking MIT values

socrampy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
GA-P35-DS3L rev 2.0

I've had the rebooting cycle everytime i changed one MIT value, either fsb, ram speed, etc.

I was using F7 bios, and updated to F8b, and the booting cycle seems to be gone.

But, when i want to change something in MIT, even 1Mhz fsb increment, saving and exit the bios it restarts the system with the default values. (the restart is just 1 time, not many like before)

cpu, e2160, i would like to hit at least 2.7Ghz
memory 2g kingston hyperX ddr2 800
vga msi NX8800GTS 512
any hints?

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

I have the same board withq6600. have no problem at all. just curious why would you update your bios?

socrampy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007

ram volt. is ok, i increase it by +0.2 to get 2.0v at wich is rated.

one interesting thing happens...
i can lower de multi to 7,6 and keep the fsb to 200 and it works.. 7x200 =1400Mhz
but at default multi of 9 or lower, if i increase or lower just 1 mhz (9x201 or 9x199) and save&exit, it reboots with default 9x200

it seems to me that every change lowering or increasing FSB just by 1 or by n makes it reboot with default speed of 200 no matter what multi i set.

this is starting to annoy me, i've tried several configs with no success.

hutt

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I would agree with shadow have you tried bumping the ram voltage up a tad over the 2.0 ? just to see

Try increasing RAm and CPU voltage (usually you wouldn't need to increase CPU voltage for a 1Mhz, but dosen't hurt to try.)

Also make sure that:

Performance Enhance : Must be set to "Standard" for a successful overclock.

2310626261_0891266c60_o.jpg

Memory Frequency (Mhz): The first RAM value listed (I will call this the "Rated RAM Speed" to make life easier) (to the left ) is the normal speed of the RAM being used; the second (to the right) is the memory frequency that is automatically adjusted according to the "CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)" and "System Memory Multiplier" settings. I would strongly suggest you decrease the SPD to stay at or below the "Rated RAM Speed". If your RAM is overclockable (i.e. RAM like the Crucial Ballastix) you should still set the SPD to the "Rated RAM Speed" as it would be one less variable in a CPU overclocking failure until you find the best stable overclock. I recommend that you DO NOT overclock the RAM until you reach a stable CPU speed.

C.I.A.2: CPU Intelligent Accelerator 2 (C.I.A.2) is a system designed to automatically adjust the CPU Clock speed by a given percentage. This option is "Disabled" by default. It must be set to "Disabled" in order to successfully overclock the CPU .

What I think is happening is that

1. RAM is trying to be over clocked and the RAM can't handle it. (Change SPD value so that the RAM is below or equal to 800Mhz)
2. Voltages may be too low (RAM and/or CPU)
3. BIOS flash might have been bad. Try reflashing older BIOS (Remember: NEVER FLASH THROUGH WINDOWS!)

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

How do you set "Performance Enhance" to disable.

MrMr

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Turn off the power and re-set the bios by bridging the 2 pins near the battery, or removing the battery for a few seconds. Reboot, set performance defaults, F10 and save. Boot back into Cmos and overclock.

socrampy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007

I've tried other rams, supertalent and markvision, same results.
tried with another cpu (same model e2160 as mine) same results.
even upgraded my psu, still same problem.
everytime i change the fsb it reboots with default speeds. (wtf?)

don't know what to do now...
my kingston hyperx model is in the supported list of gigabyte site.

alpine18

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
I had the same issue with my EX38-DS4. I rma'd it.
My new board has the SAME problem. It will not O/C.

The system fails to boot when you set CPU Clock Control to MANUAL. Even if you don't change the CPU speed. I think that there is a problem with a small percentage of Gigabyte boards that just won't O/C. I've read this issue far too often on this and other forums.